2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Gotcha. That was right after the whole Dave Wilder debacle right?

In your opinion..or anyone's opinion really, have these changes brought better prospects in?

I know we are still considered the bottom of the barrel..but it takes more than a few years to get out I would assume.

We know Sale has worked out thus far...but are there other guys recently drafted that have been at least somewhat valuable?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't follow the draft and low minors as much.

Addison Reed came from the same draft as Sale. That's shaping up to be a really strong draft from the Sox just because of those two and Petricka, Wilkins, Ravelo and Saladino are also decent to good prospects with a shot.

I think the change in philosophy has been for the best. There were/are multiple other issues with the system though. I would say the draft hasn't been one of them recently. Draft spending is another story.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
What are the chances Ravelo is very good to outstanding one day? I know little about him (perhaps that question makes this obvious)

Seems like he needs to develop power to be a top prospect at 3B. Have to like what we've seen so far, though

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Sox philosphy shifted a decent amount under Bell and Lauman.

No real change.............Sox are taking HS guys because of 1 reason picks are capped and teams only have so much to spend. Economics 101 and JR loves the new rules.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Kyle Hansen, RHP St. Johns, NY

Interesting that Hansen had over 40 more strikeouts than anyone else on St. Johns staff. That includes two pitchers taken ahead of him...

Low 90's fastball. Another big kid at 6'8.

I like this pick a lot. I actually like the delivery...lands a little open, that is my only concern. May allow him more movement on the FB though. MLB body, MLB fastball. Plenty to work with there.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
Also a fan of the Hansen pick.

I really like that pick. Big kid, plus fastball. Maybe they can improve his secondary pitches to keep him as a starter. Otherwise he has a good shot to be a reliever with a mid 90s fastball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Big kid... mechanics look really whippy though, on those long arms, that's a little worrisome.

To be honest, any time I hear the Sox took a kid with good stuff despite bad mechanics I get excited. They've been pretty damn good with that.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
I really like that pick. Big kid, plus fastball. Maybe they can improve his secondary pitches to keep him as a starter. Otherwise he has a good shot to be a reliever with a mid 90s fastball.

To be honest, any time I hear the Sox took a kid with good stuff despite bad mechanics I get excited. They've been pretty damn good with that.

I don't mind the pick, he's worth a shot. And you are right that they are good with helping the mechanics. You just never know whether a pitcher can make those changes, or if he can, what he'll be like on the other side. At this round though, never a problem for me taking someone like this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
I don't mind the pick, he's worth a shot. And you are right that they are good with helping the mechanics. You just never know whether a pitcher can make those changes, or if he can, what he'll be like on the other side. At this round though, never a problem for me taking someone like this.

This pick is the perfect example of the draft philosophy under the newer staff. Tall kid with a big fastball that has some upside. It's the 6th round, find a guy with a tool and some upside.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
I like all of these players more than Lance Broadway/Keenyn Walker

Don't compare Walker to first round picks. Does anyone compare Josh Phegley to first round picks? No. Walker was a supplemental pick, which means he should still be a pretty damn good prospect, but he wasn't picked as high as Broadway/Sale/Fields/Hawkins etc. Just because the Sox didn't have a pick in the first round doesn't mean Walker should have the expectations of a first round pick.