2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:49 AM)
Safe bet is college pitcher at 48. Pierce Johnson, Alex Wood, Brian Johnson Jake Barrett, Chris Beck, Brandon Kline, and Pat Light are some names to consider.

Beck was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but lost his plus stuff this year. Barrett is a Jenks clone as well.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
Safe bet is college pitcher at 48. Pierce Johnson, Alex Wood, Brian Johnson Jake Barrett, Chris Beck, Brandon Kline, and Pat Light are some names to consider.

Fully expect them to go with a pitcher, probably a guy that profiles to pitch out of the pen (seems to be the Sox MO as they figure they can get a power arm that doesn't project to the rotation but can be a plus reliever). Its a unique MO too. But in theory, they've done a good job identifying pitching (whether its via trade, the draft, or even free agency).

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)

Too bad sox aren't expanding their options. Would love to see throw a curveball and take Roache, but pitching is a dire need in our system.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
Too bad sox aren't expanding their options. Would love to see throw a curveball and take Roache, but pitching is a dire need in our system.

I'll make one thing for clear, everything is in dire need in the system. However, with Beckham maybe figuring it out and Viciedo, Sale and Reed developing (along with De Aza looking good), all of a sudden things don't look near as barren (as the system has developed 4 of those guys; won't count De Aza).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)

Moreso than position prospects?

With our system, almost every position except for relief pitcher could use some huge improvement...although OF's definitely looking a lot better TODAY than it has ever since the Rowand/Chris Young/Anthony Webster/Brian Anderson/Reed days.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
I'll make one thing for clear, everything is in dire need in the system. However, with Beckham maybe figuring it out and Viciedo, Sale and Reed developing (along with De Aza looking good), all of a sudden things don't look near as barren (as the system has developed 4 of those guys; won't count De Aza).

Don't forget Nathan Jones.

He might end up being the best of all those relievers when all is said and done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
Don't forget Nathan Jones.

He might end up being the best of all those relievers when all is said and done.

How can I forget him. I think I discovered him on Soxtalk. Was watching him on the backfields 3 or 4 years ago and was blown away. Talked to a scout and they said when he's on, he has the better stuff then any closer in baseball. The problem was, he couldn't repeat his deliver, and had huge fluctuations in stuff (98 one day with a sharp hook; 89 another day with a hanger). He still has had a lot of problems with his command so I'm curious to see how he holds up long term, but the dude has an arm.

Would Lance McCullers fall? Given we went upside, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him now. Some questions of whether he can start but he has legit stuff and at worse projects as an above average closer. I assume he'll be long gone though. Someone with multiple picks will take a chance on him.