MLB officially announces 10-team expanded playoffs

SoxFan1

@MLB BREAKING: 2012 Postseason to feature 10-team format that includes 2 additional Wild Cards and elimination game in each league prior to DS.

@MLB MORE: This year only, Division Series will begin with 2 home games for lower seeds, followed by up to 3 home games for higher seeds.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
@MLB BREAKING: 2012 Postseason to feature 10-team format that includes 2 additional Wild Cards and elimination game in each league prior to DS.

@MLB MORE: This year only, Division Series will begin with 2 home games for lower seeds, followed by up to 3 home games for higher seeds.

Boooo

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)

I'm sorry, but this confuses me. What is that saying?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
Apparently they didn't have the time to squeeze in a 2-2-1 series because the schedule wasn't planned with this extra team format in mind. It is only supposed to be for this season

So save the changes for next season instead of rushing them in. I hate Selig.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
Basically all they've done is prolonged the playoffs by adding a 1-game playoff between the top 2 wild cards teams in each league.

But why? In hopes that they can create the same magic of last season or game 163 in the past? That isnt going to work. Seems like they want to give Boston and/or NY every chance possible to get into the post season.

Why is it fair to have a "play-in", not play-off game if WC A finishes 94-68 and WC B finishes 89-73?

What if the Yankees and Rays finished tied for the AL East and the Red Sox finish with the next best record. So we would have the loser of the Rays-Yanks play the Red Sox, who is just sitting back, for the right to go to the playoffs?

This diminishes the regular season.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
The main argument by supporters of the new system (and the MLB) is that is puts a premium on winning the division outright.

Seems okay to me. One wildcard team will go on and one will be quickly eliminated. Both wildcard teams will have to use their best starter in the extra game and thus the winner will have that disadvantage in the next series.

But really they need to go a 2-2-1 format. Teams with the best records in baseball are being penalized here. They are only guaranteed one home playoff game.

However, a wildcard team might host the wildcard extra game and win. Then they get two more playoff games at home..that could give a wildcard team three straight home games. Huge advantage in the playoffs.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
Seems okay to me. One wildcard team will go on and one will be quickly eliminated. Both wildcard teams will have to use their best starter in the extra game and thus the winner will have that disadvantage in the next series.

But really they need to go a 2-2-1 format. Teams with the best records in baseball are being penalized here. They are only guaranteed one home playoff game.

However, a wildcard team might host the wildcard extra game and win. Then they get two more playoff games at home..that could give a wildcard team three straight home games. Huge advantage in the playoffs.

The 2-3 division series is only for 2012 because the MLB schedule was finalized before the playoff changes were approved. It will be 2-2-1 again next year and for the future.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
If they're going to have a wild card playoff round it should be a best of 3 at minimum.

They can't do a best of three. That would give the division winners at least 5 days off if the wildcard teams get a day break on either end. That isn't fair to the division winners.

Awful, awful, awful. This is a disgusting, despicable tragedy. First they f*** up the draft/international system, now this? Selig's motto: when it ain't broke; fix it. I always said I'd put a bullet in my brain before I became a hockey fan. But I think the time is now. Who are the top players today? Mario Lemuix? Mark Messiah? Who else?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
They can't do a best of three. That would give the division winners at least 5 days off if the wildcard teams get a day break on either end. That isn't fair to the division winners.

In my opinion, if teams get 4-5 days off, it's not a big deal. It's an excuse after those teams lose. Everybody cites the 07 Rockies that were hot going into the playoffs, but then had 5 days or something off going into the World Series. But look at the 05 White Sox. They had a bunch of time off. Garland pitched a complete game on 13 days rest.

For some teams, 4 or 5 days off would give them time to heal, fresh bullpen, set the rotation any way they want. There would be positives.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
Awful, awful, awful. This is a disgusting, despicable tragedy. First they f*** up the draft/international system, now this? Selig's motto: when it ain't broke; fix it. I always said I'd put a bullet in my brain before I became a hockey fan. But I think the time is now. Who are the top players today? Mario Lemuix? Mark Messiah? Who else?

The draft is much better. Evens out the playing field a little more. It decreases the "whoever has the most money wins" effect.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)
In my opinion, if teams get 4-5 days off, it's not a big deal. It's an excuse after those teams lose. Everybody cites the 07 Rockies that were hot going into the playoffs, but then had 5 days or something off going into the World Series. But look at the 05 White Sox. They had a bunch of time off. Garland pitched a complete game on 13 days rest.

For some teams, 4 or 5 days off would give them time to heal, fresh bullpen, set the rotation any way they want. There would be positives.

The players hate if they get more than 2-3 days off. It may help a few injured players but that's it. You would hear the players go crazy if they tired to add another layer of playoffs of 3 or more games.

I think this format will work. 2012 will be VERY interesting. especially come september.

selig wanted it this year becuase the tv deals expire in 2013. And if you can offer a potential tv partner a sudden death playoff game(the wild card round), they'll get excited. espn has been salty for awhile that they are all but excluded from the postseason, and nbc is itching to get back in. And with comcast owning nbc(and partners with a few teams on RSNs), they may want a bigger slice of the pie. i also wouldnt be suprised if MLBnetwork takes the wild card games, seeing as they have high visibilty already on cable.

dont forget that the newer LOCAL deals are extremely lucrative. if a team like texas, or both la teams is in the hunt longer, more value to thier RSNs(both the rangers and angels were awarded a stake in thier fox sportsnets on top of the BILLION they will recieve as part of their deals). and that can help drive up ALL local tv contracts. the white sox (and cubs)currently get 45 million a year, and the tigers are at 40 million. seeing as the rangers and angels are now getting 150 million PER YEAR, it's not inconcieveable that more traditional baseball markets can cash in too. but the rsns will want more meaningful games. more teams fighting for the playoffs will help that.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Mar 3, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
I think this format will work. 2012 will be VERY interesting. especially come september.

selig wanted it this year becuase the tv deals expire in 2013. And if you can offer a potential tv partner a sudden death playoff game(the wild card round), they'll get excited. espn has been salty for awhile that they are all but excluded from the postseason, and nbc is itching to get back in. And with comcast owning nbc(and partners with a few teams on RSNs), they may want a bigger slice of the pie. i also wouldnt be suprised if MLBnetwork takes the wild card games, seeing as they have high visibilty already on cable.

dont forget that the newer LOCAL deals are extremely lucrative. if a team like texas, or both la teams is in the hunt longer, more value to thier RSNs(both the rangers and angels were awarded a stake in thier fox sportsnets on top of the BILLION they will recieve as part of their deals). and that can help drive up ALL local tv contracts. the white sox (and cubs)currently get 45 million a year, and the tigers are at 40 million. seeing as the rangers and angels are now getting 150 million PER YEAR, it's not inconcieveable that more traditional baseball markets can cash in too. but the rsns will want more meaningful games. more teams fighting for the playoffs will help that.

This is a very smart post. Thank you I learned a ton.