2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Heat map at link

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

How Chris Sale dominated the Rays

May, 29, 2012

By Lee Singer, ESPN Stats & Information

Chris Sale's slider was dominant, as he used the pitch to put hitters away. Eleven of the 13 outs he recorded on his slider were strikeouts, tied for the second most strikeouts on sliders in the last four seasons by any pitcher. Sale now has 37 strikeouts on sliders this season, tied for third in the majors.

Sale threw 21 of his 33 sliders with two strikes. Twenty of those 21 two-strike sliders (95 percent) went for strikes despite 10 of them being out of the strike zone. Rays hitters swung at 17 of Sale's 21 two-strike sliders and put only one in play.

Sale worked his slider to both sides of the plate to the seven righties in the starting lineup. Of his nine slider strikeouts to righties, five were inside. He also backdoored three strikeouts to the outside part of the plate; he had only one strikeout with his slider there all season.

Not to be outdone, Sale's fastball had its best movement and velocity of the season. Sale's fastball averaged 14.1 inches of armside run (inside to lefties, away from righties), by far his most as a starter. His fastball averaged 91.5 mph before two strikes and 94.9 mph with two strikes, his biggest differential (3.4 mph) in a start this season.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
Love how Beckham is now a huge mistake when a couple years ago he was a future HOF'er.

I hate "analysts"

I'd really like to think that if my job involved knowing what was going on in MLB and studying everything, I might have known that Beckham had been on fire the last couple weeks. If nothing else the HR might have caught my eye and suggested that he was taking better swings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
I'd really like to think that if my job involved knowing what was going on in MLB and studying everything, I might have known that Beckham had been on fire the last couple weeks. If nothing else the HR might have caught my eye and suggested that he was taking better swings.

Yep that's the other note, last couple weeks he's been solid. So these "analysts" basically just look at standings for their research.

I think if we hadn't seen how hard GB has been hitting the ball and the newfound quality of his at bats...the numbers could really look like a blip on the radar.

I honestly can't see how we could add much. Youkilis is the only move that even remotely makes sense at this point, and that's because we could ship an expensive vet like Thornton their direction. We don't have much of anything in the system and I don't see us giving up anything that is cost-controlled to try to make a run this season. We have a good rotation that has to pitch well and stay healthy. We have two potential third basemen (O-Dog and Morel) and one of them needs to hit. Gordon is going to be fine. Bullpen is fine.

That article blows.

Faleris: Build a time machine, go back to June 2008 and draft Brett Lawrie instead of Gordon Beckham?

Brett Lawrie OPS - .677

Gordon Beckham OPS - .644

Brett Lawrie May OPS - .649

Gordon Beckham May OPS - .763

Brett Lawrie's flash in the pan rookie season - 43 games

Gordon Beckham's rookie season - 103 games

It's as if these morons don't even watch baseball games. They just remember Lawrie was a big-time fantasy sleeper being overdrafted in leagues, and pay no attention to what's actually happening on the field.

Kahrl: Upgrade the lineup at two positions at once by trading for a major short-term fix at third base like Kevin Youkilis or perhaps even Scott Rolen (after he heals up), then moving Orlando Hudson to second base. The commitment to Gordon Beckham should not become a murder-suicide pact where his dead bat should be allowed to help kill their chances.

I mean, COME THE F*CK ON, PEOPLE. Beckham is a great glove at 2b, and much younger, and playing quite well. He has a .644 OPS this year with that plus defense, while Hudson has a .593 OPS.

Go away, everyone at ESPN.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:28 AM)
So, does Morel lose his job to injury? Or does Robin go back to him after the rehab assignment?

My guess is Hudson is going nowhere. Lilly is more valuable so Morel will be the guy sent down unless we shelve a pitcher, right?

How many options does Morel have left?

Edited by greg775

Well, Morel's going to have to REALLY show something (both offensively AND defensively) in his AAA rehab assignment...and

Hudson's going to have to continue to pile up errors and/or hit around .200.

So far, it seems what he's brought to the team is overall more positive than negative, so most managers will tend to stick with the veteran with playoff/contending experience versus the youngster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
My guess is Hudson is going nowhere. Lilly is more valuable so Morel will be the guy sent down unless we shelve a pitcher, right?

How many options does Morel have left?

Or Escobar, although he at least gives you versatility and pinch-running.

Morel should be playing everyday in Charlotte or playing everyday in Chicago (IF IF IF 100% healthy).

Unless the team goes in the tank again, Hudson will probably be the choice while the line-up as its currently constituted continues to do damage. Managers are pretty superstitious, and Robin's seemingly become infatuated with this particular one...probably because it's working so well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:16 AM)
Or Escobar, although he at least gives you versatility and pinch-running.

Morel should be playing everyday in Charlotte or playing everyday in Chicago (IF IF IF 100% healthy).

Unless the team goes in the tank again, Hudson will probably be the choice while the line-up as its currently constituted continues to do damage. Managers are pretty superstitious, and Robin's seemingly become infatuated with this particular one...probably because it's working so well.

I forgot about Escobar, but like you said he's speedier and more versatile.

I can't see keeping Morel around as a guy who plays once a week.

He'll be sent down if he has options IMO. They didn't acquire Hudson to sit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
That article blows.

Brett Lawrie OPS - .677

Gordon Beckham OPS - .644

Brett Lawrie May OPS - .649

Gordon Beckham May OPS - .763

Brett Lawrie's flash in the pan rookie season - 43 games

Gordon Beckham's rookie season - 103 games

It's as if these morons don't even watch baseball games. They just remember Lawrie was a big-time fantasy sleeper being overdrafted in leagues, and pay no attention to what's actually happening on the field.

I mean, COME THE F*CK ON, PEOPLE. Beckham is a great glove at 2b, and much younger, and playing quite well. He has a .644 OPS this year with that plus defense, while Hudson has a .593 OPS.

Go away, everyone at ESPN.

I surely hope you aren't saying you'd rather have Gordon Beckham than Brett Lawrie....

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 03:32 AM)
I surely hope you aren't saying you'd rather have Gordon Beckham than Brett Lawrie....

I do believe he said that, and he backed it up with numbers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Sox up to #3 in the CBS Power Rankings.

Haha jumped from 17 to 3. If Power Rankings were important, that would be too fast a rise to be comfortable with. Just shows how fast this could all fall apart, too. But I'll take the recognition where we can get it!