Interesting Stat for AJ

RME JICO

I saw this from today's game recap:

Pierzynski is the only catcher in baseball to record 1,000 or more innings caught in each of the last 10 seasons.

I thought that was somewhat surprising and shows how durable/valuable AJ has been.

Looking at Baseball Reference, he is also the active leader for games played for a catcher (1,497).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-sale-pu...37649--mlb.html

I know A. J. has his faults, and there's always going to a few catchers in the league that overall you'd rather have than A.J.; but since 2005 when he arrived we sure could of done a lot worse in the catching department. I'll take him!

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
I know A. J. has his faults, and there's always going to a few catchers in the league that overall you'd rather have than A.J.; but since 2005 when he arrived we sure could of done a lot worse in the catching department. I'll take him!

I agree, but his ability to throw out runners is pathetic.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)

He has been somewhat better this season though and I understand that the pitchers have been working on helping both A. J. and Tyler out in that department. At working on it moreso than in past seasons, anyway.

AJ is sligthly underrated around here. He calls a good game. Sale credited him yesterday for calling a good game. As long as pitcher throws what AJ calls and where AJ wants it, they are usually going to have a good game.

Yeah, I wish he could throw out runner better and I have seen him drop the ball when trying to block the plate at the same time. However, he usually is good at knocking balls down in the dirt and working with pitchers. And durable like the original post said. he went on the DL for the first time ever last year.

Edited by sunofgold

AJ continues to be so widely under-appreciated by many Sox fans. Ok, he has a noodle arm. He also handles a pitching staff exceedingly well and hits very well for his position. It's as if everyone has completely forgotten the black holes we've had in that position prior to him.

I heart AJ.

Yes.

Git awn back der.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

Pitchesd have to help catchers by holding runners on base and slow deliveries don't help matters ewither. AJ may not have the best arm, but he isn't that bad either if given a chance. Now with Mark Buerhle gone the other hurlers have to improve for sure

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Pitchesd have to help catchers by holding runners on base and slow deliveries don't help matters ewither. AJ may not have the best arm, but he isn't that bad either if given a chance. Now with Mark Buerhle gone the other hurlers have to improve for sure

Hi, Hawk. How's it going?

This is an awful cop out IMO. How many pitchers has AJ caught in his Sox tenure, 100? 150? Are you going to blame all of them for AJ's miserable arm? I like that he bats LH. I like his durability. I'll give it to him for calling a good game. For me, he's really hard to like because of his baby ass attitude and some of his AB's in big situations. I'm not a huge fan of a guy who has to throw his bat at least twice a game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
AJ's putting together a pretty solid White Sox career.

He's got to be in the top 3-5 catchers in Sox history by now, correct?

1.) Fisk.

2.) Sherm Lollar.

3.) AJP?

4.) JC Martin

whom am I forgetting?

Kark?

Here are the others with 10 or more years with the Sox:

Ron Karkovice 1986-1997

Ray Schalk 1912-1928

Mike Tresh 1938-1948

Billy Sullivan 1901-1914

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 03:26 AM)
Kark?

Here are the others with 10 or more years with the Sox:

Ron Karkovice 1986-1997

Ray Schalk 1912-1928

Mike Tresh 1938-1948

Billy Sullivan 1901-1914

I'm not a big Kark guy though he had a great arm.

I like AJ and always have. He still manages to get under the skin of the opposition, and he seems to be getting better with the bat with age. True, his ability to throw out runners is lacking, but that would probably be my only complaint about him. Having the same guy behind the plate for such a long time has helped the pitching staff.

I like AJ and always have. He still manages to get under the skin of the opposition, and he seems to be getting better with the bat with age. True, his ability to throw out runners is lacking, but that would probably be my only complaint about him. Having the same guy behind the plate for such a long time has helped the pitching staff.

I've always contended that the majority of stolen base attempts are made or failed based on the runner's jump and the pitcher's delivery, and only a minority of the outcomes are affected by the throw.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
I've always contended that the majority of stolen base attempts are made or failed based on the runner's jump and the pitcher's delivery, and only a minority of the outcomes are affected by the throw.

The response to that is "Ivan Rodriguez".