http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...mp;mode=preview

White Sox (2-2) vs Indians (1-3)

Wednesday 4/11, 12:05 PM ET at Progressive Field

Radio: CWS: WSCR 670, 97.5 ESPN Deportes CLE: WTAM 1100

TV: CWS: CSN CLE: STO

Mound aces square off for White Sox, Indians

Danks, Masterson match up in series finale at Progressive Field

By Zack Meisel / MLB.com | 4/10/2012 9:00 PM ET

Runs have come few and far between for the Indians and White Sox in the early going. They don't figure to come more frequently on Wednesday, when both clubs will send their ace to the mound.

Justin Masterson and John Danks will start Wednesday's matinee for Cleveland and Chicago, respectively, despite Tuesday's contest being postponed because of inclement weather.

Jeanmar Gomez, who would have pitched Tuesday, will instead make his season debut on Saturday. The White Sox will skip Philip Humber's turn in the rotation altogether. He won't toe the rubber until Monday.

The White Sox will have their hands full with Masterson, who allowed just one run on two hits in eight innings in an Opening Day start against Toronto. The right-hander posted a 1.61 ERA in four starts spanning 28 innings against Chicago last season.

"He did everything you want in an ace," Indians closer Chris Perez said about Masterson's Opening Day masterpiece. "He dominated them, obviously. Two hits in eight innings with 10 strikeouts. I mean, that's awesome."

Danks and Masterson squared off in a game last April, the only time Danks faced the Tribe in 2011. Despite holding Cleveland to two runs in six innings while striking out eight, Danks took the loss. That day, Masterson was a touch better, yielding just one run in seven innings.

Danks also suffered a tough-luck loss in his first performance of 2012. He tossed a quality start against the Rangers, but came up short after surrendering three runs in six innings.

"He's a very good pitcher," Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler said. "That's why he's their Opening Day pitcher."

White Sox: Sale passes first test as a starter

• Southpaw Chris Sale stymied the Indians for 6 2/3 innings on Monday in his first Major League start.

Sale earned the win in Chicago's 4-2 victory after holding Cleveland to one run on three hits.

"I felt great," Sale said. "I felt strong the entire time."

Sale made 79 appearances out of Chicago's bullpen over the previous two years.

"Regardless of whether he pitches out of the 'pen or he starts," Tribe manager Manny Acta said, "if he's healthy, and he throws the ball around the plate, he's going to be tough on a lot of people."

• Chicago's bullpen has stifled its competition so far this season.

Through 9 2/3 innings, the White Sox 'pen has surrendered just one run, on a ninth-inning homer in Monday's 4-2 win against Cleveland.

"It definitely is a very positive group we have out there," lefty Matt Thornton said. "We are willing to do anything it takes to win games."

What makes the group's success even more impressive is its youth. Rookies Nate Jones and Addison Reed have held their own, as has first-year closer Hector Santiago.

Santiago, a 24-year-old rookie, came out of nowhere to win the closer's job. The left-hander yielded just one run in 11 spring innings.

"Hector went from probably the long guy coming into Spring Training to the closer," Thornton said. "That's how good of a spring he had. ... His stuff is pretty awesome. He's a unique pitcher who is fun to watch."

Indians: Santana inks contract extension

• Two days after hitting a pair of home runs on his 26th birthday, Tribe catcher Carlos Santana signed a five-year contract extension. The deal includes a club option for the 2017 season.

"It's the best birthday of my life," Santana said.

Santana hit .239 last season with 27 home runs, 35 doubles and 79 RBIs. Through four games this season, he is batting .250 (4-for-16) with two homers and four RBIs.

"From now on forward, he just needs to continue to thrive to be the best, regardless of the deal, and not look back," Acta said. "He's got the potential to be a very good player."

Santana's deal comes less than a week after the organization gave All-Star shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera a two-year extension.

"This is my second home," Santana said. "I would love to spend my whole career in Cleveland."

Worth noting

• The Indians will embark on their first road trip of the season on Friday with a three-game set at Kansas City. The team will then play at Seattle and Oakland.

• The White Sox return to Cleveland on May 7-9 and again Oct. 1-3.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
Living in California definitely has some negatives. 9:05am baseball is one of them. I don't even wake up until 9:15! Le sigh.

Don't complain too much. My normal game time is 1:05am or 3:05am so this (7:05pm) is a million times better ;)

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:14 AM)
Living in California definitely has some negatives. 9:05am baseball is one of them. I don't even wake up until 9:15! Le sigh.

GO SOX GO!

How about Le DVR?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
De Aza - CF Morel - 3B Dunn - DH Konerko - 1B AJ - C Ramirez - SS Fukudome - RF Dayan Viciedo - LF Beckham - 2B Danks - P

I really like seeing Fukudome in for Rios against Masterson. Other than Morel batting second, I really like this lineup.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Darn early Spring games. Hopefully they get the game in as you sure don't want a bunch of doubleheaders later in the season

I'd gladly have this game ppd if it means missing Masterson. However, weather seems to be ok in Cleveland today.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Is the game going to start on time?

According to the Radar I don't see it happening as it appears this weather system is stuck over the city, but I'm no weatherman. Probably means it will start right on time in fact.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
According to the Radar I don't see it happening as it appears this weather system is stuck over the city, but I'm no weatherman. Probably means it will start right on time in fact.

Just clouds, no precipitation yet or likely in the coming hours (according to weather.com, anyway)

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Just clouds, no precipitation yet or likely in the coming hours (according to weather.com, anyway)

I hope that they get this in. Indians aren't hitting at all right now (nobody in their lineup above .250) and 6 lefties. Danks should do well. Maybe we can win 1-0 or 2-1. Better yet get the Indians bullpen in there early and score some runs.