Game Thread: BAL @ CHW, 4/17, 7:10pm

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
De Aza - CF

Morel - 3B

Dunn - DH

Konerko - 1B

A.J - C

Rios - RF

Ramirez - SS

Viciedo - LF

Beckham - 2B

Chen is a lefty...you've got to be kidding me with this lineup. If Lillibridge was going to be used primarily as a defensive replacement, he should have been traded this offseason when a lot of teams were asking about him.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Chen is a lefty...you've got to be kidding me with this lineup. If Lillibridge was going to be used primarily as a defensive replacement, he should have been traded this offseason when a lot of teams were asking about him.

I agree. Put him in CF and put Escobar at 3B, hitting second. If anyone needs a day off, it's Morel.

If anything of real value had been offered for Lilli, his bags would have been packed immediately

Teams ask about everyone but the strength of the deal is what's key.

Totally agree. For a team struggling to score runs, we need to find a way to get Lillibridge's bat in the lineup against lefties as much as possible. I would have put him in for De Aza tonight, but having him at 2B would also been a perfectly fine option.

I'm starting to get worried that Robin doesn't use much statistics in his decision-making.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
If anything of real value had been offered for Lilli, his bags would have been packed immediately

Teams ask about everyone but the strength of the deal is what's key.

Yeah, but Robin isn't maximizing Lillibridge's value to us by only using him as a defensive replacement. He can hit left-handed pitching, much better than a lot of guys on this team. f***, I think Lillibridge's only start this year came against a RHP. I'm not saying we should have traded him, but Lillibridge isn't providing us with much more production than Jordan Dank would be in this role.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)

ADWWTGS

Robin is showing megabucks Dunn he has confidence in him.

Wait ... Ozzie tried that too. It doesn't work when you can't hit.

Not piling on. The bottom of our order might start clicking. We can hope. I'd flip flop Dunn and Viciedo for the rest of the season.

So far, I've been pretty happy with Robin. More so than I thought I would be.

fathom, I get what you are saying about Lillibridge, and I sort of agree. With some of De Aza's recent misadventures in CF, maybe play Rios in CF for a game, have Lilli in right to get his bat in the lineup. But I also see what Ventura is doing here - he wants to give people like De Aza, Morel, Beckham, Viciedo and Rios a real, long-run chance of getting a groove going. This is preferable to the Ozzie method, IMO. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Now, if Morel, Beckham and/or Rios are hitting this crappy come May, then I am all about sitting them more often, and changing the lineup a bit. Play Fukudome and Lillibridge and Escobar more, at that point.

And even though his numbers aren't great, I do see a lot of improvement in Dunn. I think he'll be pretty close to pre-Sox Dunn as the year goes on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Robin is showing megabucks Dunn he has confidence in him.

Wait ... Ozzie tried that too. It doesn't work when you can't hit.

Not piling on. The bottom of our order might start clicking. We can hope. I'd flip flop Dunn and Viciedo for the rest of the season.

The rest of the season? Dunn had a huge spring, and already is on pace to far out-pace his numbers from last year (not that that is saying a lot). And it is 9 games into the season. You want to decide now to put Dunn 8th the rest of the season? Seriously?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
The rest of the season? Dunn had a huge spring, and already is on pace to far out-pace his numbers from last year (not that that is saying a lot). And it is 9 games into the season. You want to decide now to put Dunn 8th the rest of the season? Seriously?

Sure I do.

Viciedo will hit 20-30 home runs not even trying to.

Dunn will be lucky again to sniff 20.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
Totally agree. For a team struggling to score runs, we need to find a way to get Lillibridge's bat in the lineup against lefties as much as possible. I would have put him in for De Aza tonight, but having him at 2B would also been a perfectly fine option.

I'm starting to get worried that Robin doesn't use much statistics in his decision-making.

Me too. I'm concerned that he sat Viciedo against a LH and doesn't have him higher in the order against a lefty. Concerned that 2 of your 1st 3 hitters are LH against a LH. The offensive talent we have is minimal so it has to be maximized every chance you get. Pitching and defense won't win games if you get shut out.