Game Thread: BAL @ CHW, 4/17, 7:10pm

I agree with the setiment that we need to see what we have this year, and that means giving guys a consistent chance to get going at the potential expense of wins.

Were we in a pennant race, I would favor swapping Viciedo and Dunn and starting Lillibridge. But we're not in a pennant race and not expected to be in one, so we need to give the high upside guys a chance to live up and become building blocks or trade bait.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was ready to come online to proclaim my love for this team when it fell apart.

Last night felt just like an old "grinder" type of win.

Just good enough to get guys out and taking advantage of mistakes.

Still kind of shocked on the three late homers.

Oh well, let's get back in the win column.

QUOTE (black jack @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
I was ready to come online to proclaim my love for this team when it fell apart.

Last night felt just like an old "grinder" type of win.

Just good enough to get guys out and taking advantage of mistakes.

Still kind of shocked on the three late homers.

Oh well, let's get back in the win column.

As the team was one out away from a win, I was thinking very positively for exactly this reason. Humber battled and the offense took advantage of some Baltimore mistakes. The last 1.1 innings made the whole game feel bad.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)
So far, I've been pretty happy with Robin. More so than I thought I would be.

fathom, I get what you are saying about Lillibridge, and I sort of agree. With some of De Aza's recent misadventures in CF, maybe play Rios in CF for a game, have Lilli in right to get his bat in the lineup. But I also see what Ventura is doing here - he wants to give people like De Aza, Morel, Beckham, Viciedo and Rios a real, long-run chance of getting a groove going. This is preferable to the Ozzie method, IMO. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Considering we're not facing another lefty in this series, it just seemed like a good spot to get Lillibridge some at bats.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Sure I do.

Viciedo will hit 20-30 home runs not even trying to.

Dunn will be lucky again to sniff 20.

Why oh why did I even get into a discussion with you on this?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Considering we're not facing another lefty in this series, it just seemed like a good spot to get Lillibridge some at bats.

I get it, and I would be fine with it if Robin did that. I just also see the other side in this case, and I think it is just as valid.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
They cannot do any worse.

So we're 5-4 with these guys not possibly being able to do any worse, and this season with a new manager being keyed by whether or not these guys are developing. Great. Seems like a surefire case for playing them everyday to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
So we're 5-4 with these guys not possibly being able to do any worse, and this season with a new manager being keyed by whether or not these guys are developing. Great. Seems like a surefire case for playing them everyday to me.

Playing Morel is one thing..playing Morel 2nd in the order is borderline insanity....the whole 'doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result' comes to mind.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
De Aza's average went from .250 to .222 today. One of his triples from the Tigers series was ruled an error on Delmon Young.

So when does he get demoted to AAA? Tonight or does it legally have to wait till tomorrow?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
Everyone knew coming into this year attendance was going to be way down.

Had 2 games last April with attendance of 18k and 16k, and 16k was the reported for last night I believe.