5/5/12 Sox vs Cats 3:05 CT

Jake

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
I remember when Stults shut us down with the Dodgers in 05.

I guess anything's possible on a given day in baseball, and the Tigers/Indians are more LH dominated than most, but I'm certainly not going to go out and bet on a win in that game, either.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 5, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
They are almost the same pitcher in terms of pitches and velocity. Both are fastball/slider guys. Reed's got more of a hard slider, Sale's is more curve-ball like.

In The Show, I changed the "sweeping curve" they gave him to a "slurve" which I think fits him more appropriately.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Jones is a right handed Matt Thornton if he throws enough strikes. I'm not very high on Santiago myself, but if he's the 5th or 6th option, we have seen worse.

Santiago's where Boone Logan was when he came up, except Santiago has better raw stuff. The kid came up too soon and is simply overmatched...right now, but there's serious promise in his stuff if he can boost the control

Name Reed the closer?

lol, Sale is the closer.

But good for Reed, glad he got it done.

Hector started the inning because of the lefties, they didn't want Reed's first save opp to be against LHB. I praise RV for knowing when to pull Hector though.

and WTF Gordon? I can't even think of a reason he didn't cover second base. That changed everything.

Anyways, very important win. THIS SEASON IS NOT OVER :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 5, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
I must have misunderstood Stone then.

Sale throwing a single pitch more isn't going to screw his arm up. His mechanics are questionable to begin with. He's already thrown 30 innings this year, he didn't throw that many innings until maybe June or July last season. It's clear his frame and mechanics aren't fit for a major league starting pitcher.

I hate Keith Law, but he might have been right on this one from the beginning.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
Name Reed the closer?

lol, Sale is the closer.

But good for Reed, glad he got it done.

Hector started the inning because of the lefties, they didn't want Reed's first save opp to be against LHB. I praise RV for knowing when to pull Hector though.

and WTF Gordon? I can't even think of a reason he didn't cover second base. That changed everything.

Anyways, very important win. THIS SEASON IS NOT OVER :gosoxretro:

I don't know what he was thinking either. Had he been at seond, Rayburn most likely would have stayed at first. However, if Rayburn was thinking second all the time, with where Fukudome fielded the ball and threw to Ramirez he would have got to second very easily.

We're set up to have a dynamite pen for a while now.

I really think Hector should be starting though. He has a starter's repertoire, and good stuff for a starting pitcher. It seems like the adjustment to the bullpen has been difficult and certainly unnecessary now that Sale is our closer for the indefinite future.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
Stone did mention cutting down his repitoire (sp) should lessen the tax on his elbow. So you didn't misunderstand.

Repertoire.

And that means he still shouldn't throw his slider as a reliever because that's the pitch that puts 80-90% of the stress on the elbow.

Liriano had TJ surgery and he's never coming close to having the same slider or torque on his pitches compared to pre-surgery.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 5, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
We're set up to have a dynamite pen for a while now.

I really think Hector should be starting though. He has a starter's repertoire, and good stuff for a starting pitcher. It seems like the adjustment to the bullpen has been difficult and certainly unnecessary now that Sale is our closer for the indefinite future.

If Santiago can't get 3 guys out in relief appearances, I don't understand how he's starter material right now.

He needs to learn much better control if he wants a shot at starting in the big leagues. He should be down in AAA right now.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 5, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting

I can just see that on the report. * Fielder placed on the 60 day DL with gout*

Did you know that Early Wynn pitched a complete game with GOUT? That's tough.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 5, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
    Reed should of been closer earlier................Ventura way to stubborn.

Kenny would not let him close, IMO.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 5, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
    Like the 2000 squad this team needs a brawl to pull it together. Cleveland, Perez, and Rios should get it done.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 5, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
    What the he'll Santiago never throws any breaking balls

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ May 5, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
    Dunns homer will go down as the biggest hit of the season if the Sox can turn this thing around.

Way to go Donkey!

1.) Good prediction. It might happen.

2.) Did Santiago or Reed even throw one breaking ball between them? I don't want to hear about the Sox shouldn't throw Detroit fastballs because in the ninth it looked like every pitch was a fastball and we survived somehow. Seriously ... what's with all the fastballs?

3.) Dunn wins another game for the Sox. He's actually earning the money this year. Sox don't have a ton of wins but he's been responsible for several so far this season.

I'm glad I tuned back in in the eighth when it was 2-1. Finally a comeback win. It was great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
    Santiago's where Boone Logan was when he came up, except Santiago has better raw stuff. The kid came up too soon and is simply overmatched...right now, but there's serious promise in his stuff if he can boost the control

He has got to find an off-speed pitch. Whether it is the screwball or a change, he has to get hitters off of his fastball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
    He has got to find an off-speed pitch. Whether it is the screwball or a change, he has to get hitters off of his fastball.

If he hasn't developed one by now . . .

His fastball though gives him a decent chance to have a long career as a situational lefty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)

His fastball could be a pretty solid pitch on its own if he could control it, he's averaging 93.8 on that, but at least today he couldn't get it down.

Hector has decent secondary pitches but by and large hasn't located them out of the bullpen. That one outing they were for s*** in the zone and it was clear that he was trying to ease them over the plate, giving them away. This is the type of thing lifetime starters deal with when going to the bullpen - short warmup, no mulligan first inning to "find" all your pitches, etc.