Slow pitch softball thread

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
I've gotten more hurt in 12 in. That ball is hard as hell.

Have you ever played 14in?

Never played 14". My first year of softball was in the financial district league at Grant Park. I hated every minute that I wasn't drinking on the bench. I started playing 12" a few years after that at home and fell in love with it. My game translated much better to 12".

• 1 month later...

First spring game tonight and I felt terrible for the other team. In the spring you run into teams that thought it was a great idea but put no thought into it. Tonight was one of those.

Went deep twice and hit a mercy single the last time up and the game was over. They played me so shallow in the first that it rolled past the other field and the guy had to wait to go get it. Nice people but they need to find another hobby.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)
First spring game tonight and I felt terrible for the other team. In the spring you run into teams that thought it was a great idea but put no thought into it. Tonight was one of those.

Went deep twice and hit a mercy single the last time up and the game was over. They played me so shallow in the first that it rolled past the other field and the guy had to wait to go get it. Nice people but they need to find another hobby.

You guys don't have a fence?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:27 PM)
You guys don't have a fence?

Nah city field usually don't have a fence except for a few. Hamlin has four fields. They played me like 20 feet passed the infield. I'm not a crazy power hitter but I do go deep and it was ridiculous. Took minutes to get the ball back.

The only field that has a fence for real is UIC and also Pulaski but only in left ( my favorite field).

Edited by RockRaines

Our first game was Tuesday night. Freezing cold, but luckily we got slaughter rule'd so we didn't play more than 5 innings. lol. I had a rough night at the plate. 1 for 3. 1 of my outs, a groundout to pitcher, the other out was a foul out that squibbed towards 1B. The opposing pitcher kept quickpitching us and the ump kept forgetting to hold him. I realize I should have just taken the pitches, but I was so cold I just wanted to swing at everything. Oh well, we wouldn't have won anyway.

I'm considering getting a bat, I just don't think I have the power to hit a HR unless I get a really nice bat. The one I have now is pretty dead, but I only use it for singles to RF, so I never cared.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Nah city field usually don't have a fence except for a few. Hamlin has four fields. They played me like 20 feet passed the infield. I'm not a crazy power hitter but I do go deep and it was ridiculous. Took minutes to get the ball back.

The only field that has a fence for real is UIC and also Pulaski but only in left ( my favorite field).

I guess it's a bit different in the city due to space limitations.

The fields out here in Austin are all 300 (some fields are 285 in sections) or 315.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Our first game was Tuesday night. Freezing cold, but luckily we got slaughter rule'd so we didn't play more than 5 innings. lol. I had a rough night at the plate. 1 for 3. 1 of my outs, a groundout to pitcher, the other out was a foul out that squibbed towards 1B. The opposing pitcher kept quickpitching us and the ump kept forgetting to hold him. I realize I should have just taken the pitches, but I was so cold I just wanted to swing at everything. Oh well, we wouldn't have won anyway.

I'm considering getting a bat, I just don't think I have the power to hit a HR unless I get a really nice bat. The one I have now is pretty dead, but I only use it for singles to RF, so I never cared.

What kind of league is this? ASA? USSSA? NSA?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
I guess it's a bit different in the city due to space limitations.

The fields out here in Austin are all 300 (some fields are 285 in sections) or 315.

I play 16 so maybe they think it's overkill? It's definitely strategy since teams adjust and you have to as well.

The men's league I play in has a fence (UIC) and it gets a little boring to be honest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)
I play 16 so maybe they think it's overkill? It's definitely strategy since teams adjust and you have to as well.

The men's league I play in has a fence (UIC) and it gets a little boring to be honest.

How often do fielders make errors in 16 inch? I have to imagine that there'd be a lot more since you don't have the luxury of gloves.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:45 PM)
How often do fielders make errors in 16 inch? I have to imagine that there'd be a lot more since you don't have the luxury of gloves.

Depends on the team and league. In men's almost never. In coed once in awhile. The infield is harder. In men's one maybe two errors a game.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)

http://www.softballfans.com

A lot of my teammates trade bats and buy broken in bats on the forums.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)
Nah, the only waste of time is when you get to the park and the other team doesnt show :)

We've never had that. Our league is tight when one team doesn't have enough, they'll call to director and they call us.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
We've never had that. Our league is tight when one team doesn't have enough, they'll call to director and they call us.

It usually happens in the fall in AH. For some reason it always seems that certain bad teams fall apart in the last few weeks. And they never tell anyone