It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
Hey, at least it will be easy to pick out the meatball fans walking around.

Not necessarily. They make T-shirts at 2 different spots (at least) at the park, so they could have done some there or even just had a rush order from a local place.

Really? I thought it was hilarious, I'd sport a tshirt like that because I think it's funny.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 09:46 PM)
Video if you missed it and want to endure it.

That was painful. His new stat, TWTW, LOL. He is channeling his inner Ron Santo these days. Facts, stats f*** that. Its some will of the force causing wins. The numbers on the back of the baseball card are only appreciated if they were on the card back in 1967.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
That was painful. His new stat, TWTW, LOL. He is channeling his inner Ron Santo these days. Facts, stats f*** that. Its some will of the force causing wins. The numbers on the back of the baseball card are only appreciated if they were on the card back in 1967.

Anyone who thinks Ron Santo was bad at his job has to realize Hawk is just as bad, right?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
Anyone who thinks Ron Santo was bad at his job has to realize Hawk is just as bad, right?

You would figure that the same people making fun of Santo screaming YES YES YES on fly balls only to hear him grumble when it gets caught near the track think the same when they hear stretch, get on back there, then silence as its an easy fly ball out. I have not been a big fan of Hawk but in the last few years he has been intolerable. We could put a cardboard cutout with a sound board and I don't think most people would know that he wasn't there. I am sure that things that scare Hawk besides Sabr is teenagers, computers, and loud noises.

Hawk has a player/coach mindset. Advanced stats don't always make it easier to coach a player, you can get important marginal gains with BS like increasing TWTW (btw, if you don't think an increase in TWTW doesn't have something to do with Rios's improvement, you're wrong). There are also mechanical/technical adjustments, improved training, etc. that won't be quantifiable or especially predictable.

Sabermetrics are really good at explaining what has already happened. Sabermetrics can tell us that Adam Dunn was really valuable even though he struck out a lot and hit a lot of home runs. They may have told us he was trending towards more strikeouts. Unfortunately, Dunn's TWTW or something like that caused an amazingly precipitous downfall. Sabermetrics tell us that Gordon was probably unlucky last year and with neutral luck we should expect a somewhat better year this year. We'll see how accurate that is.

There is absolutely a tremendous balance to be achieved between quantitative considerations and qualitative. We are certainly getting better at quantifying things, though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 01:07 AM)
Hawk has a player/coach mindset. Advanced stats don't always make it easier to coach a player, you can get important marginal gains with BS like increasing TWTW (btw, if you don't think an increase in TWTW doesn't have something to do with Rios's improvement, you're wrong). There are also mechanical/technical adjustments, improved training, etc. that won't be quantifiable or especially predictable.

Sabermetrics are really good at explaining what has already happened. Sabermetrics can tell us that Adam Dunn was really valuable even though he struck out a lot and hit a lot of home runs. They may have told us he was trending towards more strikeouts. Unfortunately, Dunn's TWTW or something like that caused an amazingly precipitous downfall. Sabermetrics tell us that Gordon was probably unlucky last year and with neutral luck we should expect a somewhat better year this year. We'll see how accurate that is.

There is absolutely a tremendous balance to be achieved between quantitative considerations and qualitative. We are certainly getting better at quantifying things, though.

If I know that a guy hits .375 with runners in scoring position in late in close games and puts the ball in play in the air with a man on 3rd and less than two outs. I might walk him to face the guy who puts the ball on the ground most of the time instead of relying on my gut. I might bring in a lefty to move a switch hitter over to the right side because he has a .200 point discrepancy in his OPS late in a game when a home run ties it. Maybe we should just have the players wear mood rings so we can see their will to win is that day. Dunn is not having problems because his grinder rule 2.0 ( TWTW ) is low. Maybe its because his bat is slower due to age, or he has a mechanical flaw or due to advanced scouting they are exploiting a flaw in his approach. Rios was a change in his stance. Great another year of made up crap because Hawk and the marketing department Jedi mind tricks the masses.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 01:40 AM)
If I know that a guy hits .375 with runners in scoring position in late in close games and puts the ball in play in the air with a man on 3rd and less than two outs. I might walk him to face the guy who puts the ball on the ground most of the time instead of relying on my gut. I might bring in a lefty to move a switch hitter over to the right side because he has a .200 point discrepancy in his OPS late in a game when a home run ties it. Maybe we should just have the players wear mood rings so we can see their will to win is that day. Dunn is not having problems because his grinder rule 2.0 ( TWTW ) is low. Maybe its because his bat is slower due to age, or he has a mechanical flaw or due to advanced scouting they are exploiting a flaw in his approach. Rios was a change in his stance. Great another year of made up crap because Hawk and the marketing department Jedi mind tricks the masses.

None of which come from advanced statistics. Those all from watching games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
Are we sure that the marketing department didn't "plant" this catch-phrase or at least suggest it to Harrelson?

It's fine if we have a good enough team.

It's incredibly dangerous if we finish 72-90.

Because right away, there will be numerous jokes about Adam Dunn "not having the will to win." Every time he K's, in fact.

More people think this was a set up

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/4/26/4268...etwork-reaction

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 01:07 AM)

Sabermetrics are also really good at predicting what is likely to happen, which is a big reason they are valuable.

Please don't confuse TWTW with actual scouting or mechanical adjustments, they are not one in the same.

I find it embarrasing that Hawk is our announcer. He's bad at his job, and now this episode makes him look like a buffoon.

But...

I actually LOVE the idea of this #TWTW marketing campaign. This team and its fanbase needed a shot in the arm, and this might work. I like it, even if it was planted. Either way it works. I hope they run with it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
I find it embarrasing that Hawk is our announcer. He's bad at his job, and now this episode makes him look like a buffoon.

But...

I actually LOVE the idea of this #TWTW marketing campaign. This team and its fanbase needed a shot in the arm, and this might work. I like it, even if it was planted. Either way it works. I hope they run with it.

I agree...I think it is brilliant...obviously this is all a little bit tongue and cheek, but I think it's flat out brilliant.