Cotts to start Sunday

danman31

Hawk said Cotts will be starting on Sunday. This is the 2nd chance he needs. If he has the walk problem again, send him down ASAP. If he pitches well, all you Cotts haters can shut your yaps about him.

Actually, if he pitches well then we can relax and look toward his 3rd start. Two starts, good or bad still aren't enough to evaluate a pitcher.

Actually, if he pitches well then we can relax and look toward his 3rd start.  Two starts, good or bad still aren't enough to evaluate a pitcher.

That too, lol. I agree that 2 starts aren't enough, and if he shows signs of improvement I'd like to see him in the bullpen. A team in the pennant can't risk a guy that's going to walk 6 in 2 innings. With that said, I expect him to do better.

That too, lol. I agree that 2 starts aren't enough, and if he shows signs of improvement I'd like to see him in the bullpen. A team in the pennant can't risk a guy that's going to walk 6 in 2 innings. With that said, I expect him to do better.

Cotts won't be sent to the pen.

I fully expect Cotts to get rocked.  I hope he proves me wrong...

I take it when you mean he'll "get rocked", you mean he'll walk 6 in 2 innings again, because from what I've heard about Neal, he doesn't get rocked. Well, not the typical rocking.

He's the kind of pitcher that decides his own fate, to an extent.

I expect a better outing. That's all.

I take it when you mean he'll "get rocked", you mean he'll walk 6 in 2 innings again, because from what I've heard about Neal, he doesn't get rocked.  Well, not the typical rocking. 

I expect a better outing.  That's all.

I hope that you're right. But I refuse to get my hopes up about this kid right now...

Hawk said Cotts will be starting on Sunday. This is the 2nd chance he needs. If he has the walk problem again, send him down ASAP. If he pitches well, all you Cotts haters can shut your yaps about him.

i dont think there are any Cotts haters here. there are some who doubt his ability at the big league level. i for one do not want to see the sox risk any opportunity to win games while in a playoff chase. there is a time and place for player evaluation...(spring training)

i know he is young and getting his first big time chance.... but heck, he IS a big-leaguer.... and with that comes higher expectations...

if his next start is a re-mix of the Neal Cotts conga line.... then criticism of his performance is not out of line.

that said, i am really hoping he goes 6-7 innings and has a decent outing. i am all for anyone who can help this team. go get 'em Neal

Actually, if he pitches well then we can relax and look toward his 3rd start.  Two starts, good or bad still aren't enough to evaluate a pitcher.

Heck, this season isn't enough to evaluate him.

The kid has a season in AA and now people are ready to judge his career in one start or a few months.

Reality check (This isn't pointed at anyone directly) but pitchers and players don't just come on the field from the minors and play like stars right out of the gate. Only a select few do so. Ya, Webb and Willis have done it this season, but overall most players take 2-3 years to develop and even some take more then that.

I think Cotts will be a quick learner, but for anyone to of given up on him now is ridiculous. I'll be cheering for him in his next start and I hope he has much better sucess. :headbang

GO GET EM NEAL :cheers

I dont think anyone is evaluating him long term. At least those with a clue are not. I just dont think hes ready.

I dont think anyone is evaluating him long term.  At least those with a clue are not.  I just dont think hes ready.

my point... we are not in a strong position at this point in the season to be evaluating double a talent...

sure sure this guy will be good in time, but i think the streaky dan wright is a better option at this time.

If its nerves that caused his wildness, and I don't believe thats the case, he did start out well, then why can we be expected to believe that he won't have his stomach in knots when he pitches to ARod , Palmiero, etc. The Rangers have an awesome line up. I believe Cotts will be effective in time, but he is not ready. Even his staunchous backers are saying except for a couple of instances, rookies aren't that effective. Starting him now is a move of desperation if you ask me. He should be pitching right now when his performance will not affect the outcome of the game i.e. a mop up role, until he gets himself comfortable on the major league level. The Sox need to win, not experiment. I hope my rambling means he'll throw a no hitter.

If its nerves that caused his wildness, and I don't believe thats the case, he did start out well, then why can we be expected to believe that he won't have his stomach in knots when he pitches to ARod , Palmiero, etc. The Rangers have an awesome line up. I believe Cotts will be effective in time, but he is not ready. Even his staunchous backers are saying except for a couple of instances,  rookies aren't that effective. Starting him now is a move of desperation if you ask me. He should be pitching right now when his performance will not affect the outcome of the game i.e. a mop up role, until he gets himself comfortable on the major league level. The Sox need to win, not experiment. I hope my rambling means he'll throw a no hitter.

I believe give him another chance regardless of if it was nerves or what. We'll see what happens, yes these game are extremely important, but if we aren't winning with Colon or Buerhle, what does it matter if Cotts starts?

I take it when you mean he'll "get rocked", you mean he'll walk 6 in 2 innings again, because from what I've heard about Neal, he doesn't get rocked.  Well, not the typical rocking. 

I expect a better outing.  That's all.

It's alot easier to decide your own fate in AA than it is in the ML's in regards to BB's. If JM would have left him in any longer on Tuesday, we'd have been talking about how he got rocked. That, of course, is JMHO.

As for Sunday..... 4 1/3rd's, 6 H's, 4 ER's, 2 K's, 5 BB's.