Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Can't, new rule says players can't change numbers midseason. They have to apply for a number change for the next season if with the same team the following year. Thus why Matsui is wearing 35 instead of swapping with Matt Moore.

Ah. I'll guess 25

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Though thinking about it, I wonder if a Hudson DFA and recall of Dan Johnson or Connor Jackson is going to happen. Without Lilli or Fuko, that leaves us pretty light in the OF.

Great point

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Can't, new rule says players can't change numbers midseason. They have to apply for a number change for the next season if with the same team the following year. Thus why Matsui is wearing 35 instead of swapping with Matt Moore.

Yep it's an attempt to not affect Jersey sales. If a player changes numbers it leaves vendors with an overstock of old numbers. Stupid but unfortunately part of business of professional sports

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Though thinking about it, I wonder if a Hudson DFA and recall of Dan Johnson or Connor Jackson is going to happen. Without Lilli or Fuko, that leaves us pretty light in the OF.

Danks, De Aza, Viciedo and Rios isn't enough?

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
We got 5.5 million in this deal.

Totally acceptable by me.

Stewart's a sinker baller whose sinkers don't sink. I don't care if he's only been in AAA for like 21 innings.

Lilli's expendable. He showed flashes of awesome power last year, but he'll never be a consistent hitter.

$5.5 million for those two is an accomplishment.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
Danks, De Aza, Viciedo and Rios isn't enough?

I think the team has much better balance with another powerbat off of the bench, instead of a washed up utility guy, especially when Escobar can do everything Hudson can do, better.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
So that is what he is owed completely or what?

He's got $8 million left on the deal, pro-rated. He has a $1 million buyout next year. So we're on the hook for $3.5 million, at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I think the team has much better balance with another powerbat off of the bench, instead of a washed up utility guy, especially when Escobar can do everything Hudson can do, better.

Ahh, I see your point. My bad.

Red Sox traded 3B Kevin Youkilis and cash to the White Sox for RHP Zach Stewart and UTIL Brent Lillibridge.

A monster upgrade over the Brent Morel and Orlando Hudson platoon, Youk has escaped a diminished role in Boston and assumed an everyday gig with the contending White Sox. Chicago's third baseman entered play Sunday with a pathetic .466 OPS, easily the worst mark in the majors. The move is obviously a coup for Youkillis' fantasy value. The veteran missed nearly a month earlier this season with a back strain and has batted just .233 with four homers and 14 RBI, but we would expect him to improve in his new surroundings. Youkilis is earning $12 million this season with a $1 million buyout of next season's $13 million salary. Boston likely covered more than half the cash owed to him.

Rotoworld