Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--k...kQwNWk_uYQ5nYcB

This divorce went like all the others with the Boston Red Sox: ugly, vitriolic, rotten to the core. Not even a great moment like the standing ovation Fenway Park fans gifted Kevin Youkilis following the last at-bat of his Red Sox career could mop away the feeling that it didn't have to be this way.

Only maybe a new line of thinking is necessary. Maybe it does have to be this way. The reason Boston is the greatest place in the world to play and the worst place in the world to play is that there is no gray with the Red Sox. They are the best or the worst, playing like the '27 Yankees or the '03 Tigers, with the most brilliant manager or the most incompetent. And for someone like Youkilis, who has spent his entire career with the organization, such certitudes breed deep emotions.

Kevin Youkilis tripled before leaving his final game with the Red Sox. (AP)Pour that into a carafe and add a few dashes of ego and pride, and it's a cocktail more Molotov than palatable. Even if Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine had handled Youkilis' situation with care – and he didn't, not in the beginning, middle or end – there was a simple truth preventing an amicable parting: Boston is an impossible place to leave without feelings intervening.

Never mind Jim Rice, Mo Vaughn, Nomar Garciaparra, Manny Ramirez, all iconic and all soured upon their exit. Even Jason Bay, mild-mannered, eminently likeable and a Red Sox star for less than two years, decamped to New York lamenting Boston's offer to him. It could've been sour grapes, sure, or that knowledge playing for the Red Sox can be like a drug, heights unmatched.

It should be the same in New York, too, and sometimes it is. Because the Yankees are seen as this mega-entity, far more corporate than the Red Sox, divorces are accepted as the cost of doing business. Boston still hasn't reached that point, and almost surely it never will.

Because no matter how hard the Red Sox try to do right by their players – and shipping out Youkilis, who was about to fester on the bench, was not just an understandable baseball move but a merciful one personally – this is unavoidable. The Red Sox are Liz Taylor. They marry, they love hard, they fight, they divorce. Baseball's version of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? The answer, after Sunday, is …

1. Kevin Youkilis, the newly minted third baseman of the Chicago White Sox and the first player to switch teams in what many executives believe will be a more interesting trade season than usual, what with the extra playoff slot emboldening teams that may not otherwise have considered pursuing upgrades.

Before the talk turns to others who may or may not be available, the case of Youkilis is an interesting one. He is 33, injury prone and looks old. Certainly changes of scenery are known to revitalize players. Youkilis' issues may go beyond whatever mental boost losing the melanin in his Sox may provide.

He has swung and missed at a higher percentage of fastballs this year than ever in his career. His struggles against right-handed pitching are palpable. He is hitting ground balls more than 50 percent of the time, a troublesome number for a player whose speed would be described generously as harried slug.

10. Kevin Youkilis would turn into a pumpkin only to see Will Middlebrooks take his job? From the Greek God of Walks to the Guy Who Never Walks, change in Boston is afoot.

And for the White Sox, a past-his-prime Youkilis is still an upgrade over the Brent Morel-Orlando Hudson duo of death that had manned third base. If Youkilis finds himself, the White Sox have a $13 million option; if not, the buyout is a reasonable $1 million. To have given up only a utilityman (Brent Lillibridge) and a middling pitcher (Zach Stewart) is a classic Kenny Williams maneuver: high-risk (of breakdown) and -reward (possibly getting the Youk-of-old).

He'll look for more, of course, because when Kenny goes for it, he goes for it. Soon enough we'll see who else is following that course, and who's selling, and who among baseball's most tradeable find themselves in new places.

Different rules. Different contenders. Different agendas. Same baseball, with a June and July that never stops churning.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:38 PM)
Different rules. Different contenders. Different agendas. Same baseball, with a June and July that never stops churning. [/i]

Pretty darn good article

MINNEAPOLIS -- For Kevin Youkilis, the past day and a half brought a range of emotions unlike anything he'd experienced in the major leagues.

There was the realization "that hit me like a ton of bricks" on Sunday that when he got lifted for a pinch runner, he was probably heading into the home dugout for the last time at Fenway Park. There was the logistical stress of being traded -- switching teams, boarding a flight, moving his family -- and the odd sensation of putting on something other than the Red Sox uniform he'd worn his entire career.

And then, after the Chicago White Sox lost 4-1 to the Minnesota Twins in Youkilis' first game with the south siders, there was, at last, relief.

"In 24 hours, all the things that transpired, my mind was kind of racing a little bit," he said. "Hopefully tomorrow, there won't be any Red Sox stuff in here and we can all move on."

Youkilis had printed a list of his new teammates' names and jersey numbers that he kept in his locker at Target Field. He had played with a handful of players (Jake Peavy, Adam Dunn and Matt Thornton) in the World Baseball Classic, faced Jesse Crain when the reliever was with the Twins, and worked out with Orlando Hudson in the offseason. But it had been a long time since he'd felt like a newcomer in a major league clubhouse.

"The important thing is, they've got a foundation here," he said. "I've just got to try to fit in as best I can."

Hitting second for the White Sox, Youkilis went 1-for-4 in his debut, singling up the middle in his final at-bat of the night. He glanced at the scoreboard to see Red Sox highlights -- "It seems like I can't escape the Red Sox thing" -- and had to correct himself when he first referred to Boston players as his teammates. But he left the park knowing exactly where he'd be the next day.

Amid all the newness, there was the promise of stability.

"I know where I'm at," Youkilis said. "I'll go to the hotel room, wake up, put clothes on, and not worry about packing clothes and all that other stuff."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...-with-white-sox

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
Kenny sure does love his past-their-prime players. Vizquel, Griffey, Hudson, Youkilis, Ramirez

edit: forgot the dreaded one

All teams do it. Look at how many White Sox scraps the high and mighty Yankees have on their roster.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)
Both Alomars

Daubach

Kotsay

Andruw Jones

Jeff Nelson

Mike Jackson

I think Youkilis is a lot more fresh than those guys. It's tough for me to call a guy who put up a 124 OPS+ and made the all star team the prior season washed up.

Plus, I don't think Youkilis was on Kenny's radar until this year.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
I think Youkilis is a lot more fresh than those guys. It's tough for me to call a guy who put up a 124 OPS+ and made the all star team the prior season washed up.

Plus, I don't think Youkilis was on Kenny's radar until this year.

That's for certain, because he has never been on the market until last month.

People love lamenting a deal that brought us the starting DH on a World Series winning squad

He wasn't even supposed to be the DH for more than the first month or so. When Frank came back from injury, Carl was supposed to be the 4th OF, but then Frank got hurt again.