Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19226561/red-sox-intend-to-trade-youkilis

The White Sox and Dodgers have both been reported to be scouting Youkilis per Jon Heyman. I figured a central thread to the Youkilis rumors will be good for discussion.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19226561/red-sox-intend-to-trade-youkilis

The White Sox and Dodgers have both been reported to be scouting Youkilis per Jon Heyman. I figured a central thread to the Youkilis rumors will be good for discussion.

Youk would be owed around at least $7 million (~$6 million for rest of year, $1 million buyout next year). Hudson's doing alright IMO, unless they offer him for the cheap (somebody like Quintana for instance), I don't think we should budge.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
What I'm curious about, is it a buyers market or sellers market for Youkilis? Who has the better bargaining position in a possible trade? Boston or the potential acquiring team?

That is really hard to determine. My guess is if the Dodgers are involved the Red Sox might get a decent return because the new owners want to make a splash.

I think it's all about the money. If Boston wants a good return, they'll have to eat salary. If they just want to move him, they cannot expect much in return. I think I read that the Dodgers were "lukewarm" on trading for him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
We don't need him yet. I want to exhaust the Hudson/Morel resources before deciding on him.

More specifically, I want to see how Morel looks when he gets off the DL. He's a plus defender when healthy. Having Hudson on the bench and a 1-2 time/week starter would be great.

And I don't want the Sox giving up pitching only to help the Red Sox, who could be a team the Sox play in October.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
We don't need him yet. I want to exhaust the Hudson/Morel resources before deciding on him.

This. Hudson seems to be doing fine...plus I really don't want to eff with the chemistry we have right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
I was thinking Floyd and Quintana for Youkilis and one of their better lower level starting pitchers.

But I hope they pass for now.

That's overpaying by a lot. Floyd is worth way more to Boston than Youk.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
I was thinking Floyd and Quintana for Youkilis and one of their better lower level starting pitchers.

But I hope they pass for now.

Think more advantageous for the White Sox. Floyd and Quintana would equate to being trade raped by the Red Sox. You can sell high on Earley, move Escobar who really has no spot in Chicago, send Morel to AAA for the rest of the year and give the White Sox more veteran oomph for a possible playoff run.

Cue Balta defense.

In all seriousness, there's ZERO way we can trade Floyd for Youkilis with all the uncertainty around our rotation right now (granted, part of that uncertainty has been caused by Gavin!)

First of all, we're actually playing well and winning with Hudson.

Second, KW won't want to "reward" the fans for NOT showing up to support his creation. Joking, I think.

Third, Morel's a pretty decent second option (for now).

Fourth, where it becomes interesting is that the Indians also could use a 3B. Hannahan's had all kinds of health problems, but they're also going to go with their former 1st round pick in Chisenhall before trading away future resources...and that Jimenez trade ended up really stinging them badly.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Would love to get Youk but not at the expense of anyone on the Major League roster and we have nothing of worth in the minors. Too bad.

Its not like Kevin would net a top level prospect. We have some guys they may want.

Trading a starting pitcher wouldn't be bright. Humber is still a question mark. Sale is going to be on some sort of innings count. When they say the White Sox are buyers, I think the 2 spots they would be looking for are 3B and starting pitcher, not necessarily in that order. Hopefully, Morel's problems were physical and he's over them. I think giving up anything of value for Youkilis would be a mistake.