Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
I actually didn't mind Stewart as much as most, but if he has to be a starter to be effective, I'm saying he's selling insurance in the next 18 months.

He might have a bullpen future as well...but everything in his repertoire needs polish. The only way that's going to happen for him is to get a decent number of innings. He's a guy who falls into that old saying of "You can't teach velocity". The kid throws a 92 mph 2-seamer. Even if he can't locate it well, there's some value in that which might be able to be developed, which is why we were able to trade him for a very useful part.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
He might have a bullpen future as well...but everything in his repertoire needs polish. The only way that's going to happen for him is to get a decent number of innings. He's a guy who falls into that old saying of "You can't teach velocity". The kid throws a 92 mph 2-seamer. Even if he can't locate it well, there's some value in that which might be able to be developed, which is why we were able to trade him for a very useful part.

Not even so much a useful part, a useful part that will almost be free $$-wise

I don't see any way to interpret this as a bad trade. Yes, LilliBomb endeared himself to us last year, but even if you think he's a plus utility guy, then you just gave up a plus utility guy. This is a major upside play.

And Stewart is horrible. Funny side note: I clicked on the MLBTradeRumors link on Twitter last night and loked at some of the comments. There was one BoSox fan that said something along the lines of: "Ha! White Sox give up a top pitching prospect and more just to take on the corpse of Youkilis!" Someone is misinformed on Stewart, lol.

Even Phil Rogers was raving about this deal.

Said it was the best KW in-season move since Garcia/Contreras in 2004.

For some reason, he thought Leesman was one of the top prospects who would have been potentially included, LOL'ed at that one a bit.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,6808460.column

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I don't see any way to interpret this as a bad trade. Yes, LilliBomb endeared himself to us last year, but even if you think he's a plus utility guy, then you just gave up a plus utility guy. This is a major upside play.

And Stewart is horrible. Funny side note: I clicked on the MLBTradeRumors link on Twitter last night and loked at some of the comments. There was one BoSox fan that said something along the lines of: "Ha! White Sox give up a top pitching prospect and more just to take on the corpse of Youkilis!" Someone is misinformed on Stewart, lol.

They will find out soon enough.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)

For some reason, he thought Leesman was one of the top prospects who would have been potentially included, LOL'ed at that one a bit.

Not that that would have mattered

"On one hand, it probably was time for him to go. The Red Sox needed to be committed to Will Middlebrooks," (Terry) Francona said. "He's a good young player, and he's proven he's a guy they can build around.

"But, saying that, the White Sox are going to get more from Kevin Youkilis than the Red Sox did so far. If Youk is healthy -- and he says is -- he grinds out at-bats as good as anybody in baseball, and you can hit him second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth. He hits left-handers, he hits right-handers. It's a big pick-up for the White Sox, who have gotten no production at third base."

http://www.freep.com/article/20120624/SPOR...is-from-Red-Sox

Tigers' response is supposedly interest in Carlos Quentin, although the only "smoke" to this so far is Morosi blog/tweet about it 11 days ago.

Really hope that the Tigers don't get him. I'd rather he go to CLE, but Damon's actually been closer to serviceable. Still, you don't let Damon stand in the way if you have the pieces to add Quentin in the next month, assuming he's still healthy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
"On one hand, it probably was time for him to go. The Red Sox needed to be committed to Will Middlebrooks," (Terry) Francona said. "He's a good young player, and he's proven he's a guy they can build around.

"But, saying that, the White Sox are going to get more from Kevin Youkilis than the Red Sox did so far. If Youk is healthy -- and he says is -- he grinds out at-bats as good as anybody in baseball, and you can hit him second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth. He hits left-handers, he hits right-handers. It's a big pick-up for the White Sox, who have gotten no production at third base."

http://www.freep.com/article/20120624/SPOR...is-from-Red-Sox

Tigers' response is supposedly interest in Carlos Quentin, although the only "smoke" to this so far is Morosi blog/tweet about it 11 days ago.

Really hope that the Tigers don't get him. I'd rather he go to CLE, but Damon's actually been closer to serviceable. Still, you don't let Damon stand in the way if you have the pieces to add Quentin in the next month, assuming he's still healthy.

I've always liked Carlos, but he's always been SO streaky. You have to figure that some team is going to get him just in time for him to go cold, right?

Tracing all elements of this trade back to players who were drafted or signed as free agents with the Sox:

The Sox traded Carlos Lee, Orlando Hernandez, Chris Young, Boone Logan, Josh Fields, Daniel Hudson, and David Holmberg

for

Scott Podsednik, Travis Hinton, Tyler Flowers, John Gilmore, Santos Rodriguez, Daniel Webb, Miles Jaye, and Kevin Youkilis

While receiving various amounts of utility from Luis Vizcaino, Javier Vazquez, Brent Lillibridge, Edwin Jackson, Mark Teahen, Jason Frasor, and Zach Stewart in between.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)

Didn't Rogers originally call for KW to trade Floyd and Thornton for Youkilis and eat Youk's money?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
I've always liked Carlos, but he's always been SO streaky. You have to figure that some team is going to get him just in time for him to go cold, right?

Or get hurt. I like him too, but he is very streaky and he's going to miss games.

So KW can point all of his scouts and resources (especially Cooper) to scouring the world for more pitching now.

Of all things we're good at as an organization, that has to be strength #1.

It's really going to be a battle down to the end...war of attrition in this division.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
So KW can point all of his scouts and resources (especially Cooper) to scouring the world for more pitching now.

Of all things we're good at as an organization, that has to be strength #1.

It's really going to be a battle down to the end...war of attrition in this division.

I have no idea why, but I feel like Jason Vargas will wind up on the White Sox around the trade deadline.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
I have no idea why, but I feel like Jason Vargas will wind up on the White Sox around the trade deadline.

No thank you.

@ Safeco: 42.1 IP, 4 HRs allowed, 3.19 ERA, 1.11 WHIP

away from Safeco: 60 IP, 16 HRs allowed, 5.70 ERA, 1.30 WHIP

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)

Vargas is giving up close to 2 hrs a game, I don't think he'd fit in well at US Cellular.

I think the Red Sox scouts saw Stewart hit 94mph in the middle innings on Monday nite,and that convinced them that he has a future as a power sinker pitcher. I was surprised that he was able to clock that as a starter,when he did not as a reliever. Now, problem was that as he hit 94mph,his stuff was straight and hit repeatedly for homers.

Youk is 6 of 14 in his last 4 games,with a .500 oba in those games,so I think he is on the mend.

He did leg out that triple yesterday,so his legs appear ok.

I like that he is not changing leagues,so he knows the pitchers already.

Tonite vs a hot Liriano is an immediate challenge. Sox have stunk vs lefties,so maybe a righthanded bat like Youk's can help with that.

The thing about deals like this is that if the Sox do not end up winning the division,even if Youk is good, it is ultimately considered questionable. Rentals are all or nothing deals. I like the deal,but the Sox must make a real run to have it really be meaningful. Our pitching will tell the tale...come back Johnny Danks!

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
If I'm on the other side of the fence, I would question why Boston made this trade. It doesn't seem good for them.

A-Gon was playing RF to get Youk into the lineup. Youk was also hitting poorly and they're not going to sit Middlebrooks or Gonzalez.

They couldn't bench Youk, Youk definitely wasn't cool with that. So they had a situation where the player that was on the outside looking in wasn't going to just sit there and be a pinch hitter. Add to the fact that Youk is well liked in Boston by the fans and his teammates and you have yourself quite a clubhouse situation.

Boston's motives are clear...they wanted Youk out since there was a logjam at 1B/3B and he wasn't hitting all that well.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
If I'm on the other side of the fence, I would question why Boston made this trade. It doesn't seem good for them.

The Youk/Middlebrooks drama was starting to become poisonous, methinks, which factored into their haste. Beyond that, temporary utility guys that can play the OF but won't demand a starting spot when the DL empties is something the Red Sox definitely need. I think they have something like 6 OFs on the DL right now.

Also, they need pitching real bad. I just don't understand how they think Stewart is the solution to that problem.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Also, they need pitching real bad. I just don't understand how they think Stewart is the solution to that problem.

He's a project arm. He probably won't be real "useful" this year, if they have to use him at the big league level he's likely to be just as bad as what we saw here, but there's a foundation of talent upon which they hope they can build something.

Boston...

1) Had to clear 3B for Middlebrooks full time

2) Had to get Gonzalez back at 1B, where he's most comfortable

3) Have to prepare for Ellsbury and Crawford to come back....so Gonzalez really was struggling offensively as well, partly because he was so uncomfortable and akward out there

4) You can't have their equivalent of Buehrle/Konerko, World Series hero, on the bench....he should be able to play everyday at his age still, it's a respect issue in the clubhouse, with the manager, with Pedroia/Ortiz, etc.