Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
I realize that it used to, but I thought that they made a rule against doing that this year? Do you have to be in the league for so long first?

I dont know about that. I guess if Danks was the one asking for the number maybe there would be something against it(although I dont know why), but Youkilis is asking for Danks #20

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Boston...

1) Had to clear 3B for Middlebrooks full time

2) Had to get Gonzalez back at 1B, where he's most comfortable

3) Have to prepare for Ellsbury and Crawford to come back....so Gonzalez really was struggling offensively as well, partly because he was so uncomfortable and akward out there

4) You can't have their equivalent of Buehrle/Konerko, World Series hero, on the bench....he should be able to play everyday at his age still, it's a respect issue in the clubhouse, with the manager, with Pedroia/Ortiz, etc.

A-Gon's been awful this year, what happened to him?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
I realize that it used to, but I thought that they made a rule against doing that this year? Do you have to be in the league for so long first?

From what I understand, the player changing numbers would be responsible to pay for the unsold merchandise bearing their name and number. I don't think many vendors have Danks #20 jerseys or shirts.

Here is what I found on Uni Watch.

Any big leaguer who wants to change uniform numbers without switching teams better give eight months’ notice unless he’s willing to buy warehouses full of his overstocked jerseys. …

Players must tell the commissioner’s office by July 31 of the preceding year if they want a new jersey. That is, unless ‘the player (or someone on his behalf) purchases the existing finished goods inventory of apparel containing the player’s jersey number.’ As in, every replica jersey, jacket, T-shirt, mug and anything else with a number that’s anywhere in stock.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtShallRiseAgain @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
From what I understand, the player changing numbers would be responsible to pay for the unsold merchandise bearing their name and number. I don't think many vendors have Danks #20 jerseys or shirts.

I guess that makes sense.

In the case that Jordan Danks ever becomes really good, a Danks 20 Jersey could be a good investment now.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtShallRiseAgain @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
Here is what I found on Uni Watch.

Any big leaguer who wants to change uniform numbers without switching teams better give eight months’ notice unless he’s willing to buy warehouses full of his overstocked jerseys. …

Players must tell the commissioner’s office by July 31 of the preceding year if they want a new jersey. That is, unless ‘the player (or someone on his behalf) purchases the existing finished goods inventory of apparel containing the player’s jersey number.’ As in, every replica jersey, jacket, T-shirt, mug and anything else with a number that’s anywhere in stock.

I'm pretty sure there are like 2 Jordan Danks jerseys in those warehouses.

This trade was an absolute steal. Kevin Youkilis is still a very good 3B, and out of the rather toxic Boston environment, he should thrive. He's another bat in our lineup that is going to see a lot of pitches - he's really going to change the make-up of this offense.

This will go down as one of Kenny's best moves, up there with Jose Contreras and snagging Freddy mid-season for chump change. Kenny's getting his groove back.

I am still shocked at the price. Yes, apparently the White Sox were the only suitor here, but to give up nothing when our glaring weakness at 3B is so large is incredible. From the sounds of it, there was interest from LA but Youk preferred Chicago, and Boston ownership gave him what he wanted.

I am stoked.

Edited by Steve9347

I think that even in a best case scenario for the players received by Boston and something close the worst case scenario for Youkilis, this is still the right deal. My guess is it will resemble the Swisher to NY trade, it at least resembles it now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
This trade was an absolute steal. Kevin Youkilis is still a very good 3B, and out of the rather toxic Boston environment, he should thrive. He's another bat in our lineup that is going to see a lot of pitches - he's really going to change the make-up of this offense.

This will go down as one of Kenny's best moves, up there with Jose Contreras and snagging Freddy mid-season for chump change. Kenny's getting his groove back.

I am still shocked at the price. Yes, apparently the White Sox were the only suitor here, but to give up nothing when our glaring weakness at 3B is so large is incredible. From the sounds of it, there was interest from LA but Youk preferred Chicago, and Boston ownership gave him what he wanted.

I am stoked.

This. Youk at 80% >>>>>>>> Odog.

How many minutes before we credit YOUK for giving someone in our line-up better pitches to hit..."his mere presence in the line-up alone makes the White Sox five wins better..."

Remember when Manny Ramirez came to town and we were trying to stretch every one of his at-bats into a positive?

Well, hopefully the OPS will be closer to 750 than 550. I think it's reasonable to expect.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
You're confusing Soxtalk with Ken Harrelson.

Actually Manny was given credit on Soxtalk for a couple of HRs other players hit.

As far as Youkilis, its pretty rare a guy who is being paid more by a team that he doesn't play for than by the team he plays for, contributes much. He obviously doesn't have to do much to be an upgrade, but anyone thinking Youkilis hopped in a time machine and its 2008 again, will probably be dissappointed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
Actually Manny was given credit on Soxtalk for a couple of HRs other players hit.

As far as Youkilis, its pretty rare a guy who is being paid more by a team that he doesn't play for than by the team he plays for, contributes much. He obviously doesn't have to do much to be an upgrade, but anyone thinking Youkilis hopped in a time machine and its 2008 again, will probably be dissappointed.

I'm not expecting 2008, but his 2011 is a Central Division Championship this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
A-Gon's been awful this year, what happened to him?

Position changes (sometimes) mess with players' confidence and/or stunt their development.

KW, Adam Dunn, maybe Gordo to name a few.