Youkilis, $5.6 million traded to White Sox

Kyyle23

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
They are paying us all but $2 million of his salary.

And this makes it worth the Elf inclusion, IMO.

Now go get one more arm, Kenneth. Sucks that both Q and Sale will have workload limits, otherwise I wouldn't feel this is so necessary.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Who is paying the salaries of Zach and Brent? Hope that it is the Red team. Not that I know how much each is making.

They are minimum wage guys. Zach is probably still on a two way contract that pays him less while in the minors. At tops it is a million dollars, and the Red Sox would be paying it.

Rogers;

Ken Williams on trading for Kevin Youkilis: "We just felt at this time it was necessary, necessary to do it at this point, sooner rather than later.'' Williams says Youkilis was excited about the trade when he spoke to him. Said Williams: "I can't say exactly what he said. He wants to prove some people wrong ... He said he hasn't felt this good in a long time ... He has a little edge to him. I'm excited to have him on our ballclub.'' The Red Sox agreed to pay most of Youkilis' remaining salary in exchange for Zach Stewart and Brent Lillibridge, who they hope can contribute to their push to get to the playoffs.

Stewart and Lillibridge weren't good enough to help the Sox stay ahead of Cleveland and Detroit, but now they're going to push a team past New York and Tampa?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
We get a guy with a proven track record, don't have to pay him much at all for a utility guy that has sucked hard the last 12 months and a pitching prospect that's been hot garbage in the majors and may never amount to much.

I'm ok with this.

I think Youklis can help us, but I hate to lose Lilli. The kid tried hard and even on his worse day was better than Hudson. But, I suppose the Bosox didn't want Huson either. I am guessing Hudson retuirns to his SS and 2B back up role and can help at 3B when needed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 05:52 AM)
Don't forget that this is a guy who didn't get along with his manager. Bobby V is an ass, but Youk is no saint. Hopefully a change of scenery will benefit him.

Carl Everett, AJ, Jenks, Rios, Javy, Swisher, O-Cabrera, Manny...we've had a mixed record in that area taking players with "bad reputations" and incorporating them into our clubhouse.

Griffey, Jr., had a reputation for being next to impossible to deal with and he was great for our clubhouse and as a teammate, if not so good on the field.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Buster Olney just tweeted that Zach Stewart is a "power arm." :lolhitting

Stewart has potential. It wasn't working here. however Beantown seems like a tough place to play. Fans will be all over you if you play badly. I thought Brentbridge would fit well with the Mariners. GM there loves him and that is where he is from. I dont know how well BL will fit in there. not concerned though. Hey I forgot Javier Vazquez thanks for

Making this possible.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Nothing to complain about here at all.

Reasonable gamble, better than the Manny Ramirez one, less expensive for a lot more of the season AND you give him numerous chances to get back at the Red Sox and prove his true worth for next season and the FA market.

Stewart was done here and Lillibridge never became a RV favorite. Just had too big a swing for his approach to be conducive to limited bench play. We will miss his speed and pinch-running abilities, but Jordan Danks can make up for the OF defensive and has above average speed, if not a base-stealer per se.

It also should be a popular move from a team marketing/attendance standpoint...it definitely won't hurt.

Plus if he's great you have an option for next year. I am not expecting much but this is a real low risk move that could pay off big, so why not.