6/22 Games

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
Who is Euclides Leyer?

He had a decent DSL 2 years ago at 17 years old and was at Bristol last year as well. He had OK numbers for an 18-year-old. He could be a legit prospect considering the Sox brought him to the US so young.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
I really don't get why DeMichele started at Bristol.

In reality the talent/experience difference between the Pioneer League and the Appy League is fairly small. There are a few more teams in the Pioneer that are used as the more advanced rookie team (like how the Sox use Great Falls), but the Appy League has some of those as well. Technically the leagues are the same level so it doesn't matter where the guy goes. Between Micah Johnson (9th rounder at GF) and DeMichele both guys are relatively high draft picks that are playing second base. One had to go to Bristol. I think we're more likely to see DeMichele promoted straight to Kanny than GF if he does really well.

These high draft picks (Hawkins and Barnum) have given me reason to start checking the minor league box scores on a daily basis again. Definitely going to be fun to follow these guys.

And I know it's waaaay too early, but it's hard not to get excited about Barnum's start. Very impressive for an 18 yr old kid hitting with a wooden bat for the 1st time on a regular basis. He clearly doesn't seem to be intimidated or overwhelmed by pro ball.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
And I know it's waaaay too early, but it's hard not to get excited about Barnum's start. Very impressive for an 18 yr old kid hitting with a wooden bat for the 1st time on a regular basis. He clearly doesn't seem to be intimidated or overwhelmed by pro ball.

It's really difficult to keep yourself from thinking amazing things when a high schooler hits 3 bombs in his first 4 pro games.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 22, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
It's really difficult to keep yourself from thinking amazing things when a high schooler hits 3 bombs in his first 4 pro games.

In my head I'm already thinking sign Paulie to one more 3 year deal and hope Barnum is ready for the show by 22 haha

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 04:54 AM)
No one notice Rienzo's awesome start tonight in B'Ham?

8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. Mirroring Chris Sale's effort tonight.

He is probably the second-best pitching prospect in our system after Castro.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Sanchez moved to SS for W-S.

Ravelo moved to 1B for Kanny a few days ago.

Wilkins at 3B for B'ham.

Sanchez has done that plenty already. And are Ravelo or Wilkins at either placer permanently? I doubt it. Gilmore is on the DL, that may have prompted the need for an occasional fill-in there by Wilkins. Not sure about Ravelo. I wouldn't call any of the moves permanent at this point because its obvious they are moving a lot of players around on a daily basis. Give it a few weeks.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
I imagine Rienzo's PED bust makes him way lower on the depth chart for a possible call up.

By the way Castro's picture on milb.com is scary.

Rienzo is up the list, but the PED thing does add some question about his true abilities. Also, he's shown flashes, but hasn't been terribly consistent yet. Above him on my list among pitchers would be Castro, Quintana (if he's still eligible), Beck, Leesman, maybe Hernandez, maybe Axelrod and maybe Molina. Petricka is in the territory as well.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 05:54 AM)
No one notice Rienzo's awesome start tonight in B'Ham?

8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. Mirroring Chris Sale's effort tonight.

Awesome, one bad start to work his way back in and then snaps off a game with 1 walk.

I would see how Castro performs in Triple A before I call him a top pitching prospect. The guy has been in Double A for three straight years, so it's not surprising that he's doing well. He was straight up atrocious in Triple A the past two years.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 23, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
I would see how Castro performs in Triple A before I call him a top pitching prospect. The guy has been in Double A for three straight years, so it's not surprising that he's doing well. He was straight up atrocious in Triple A the past two years.

The question is more about... who would you rank higher in the Sox system?