2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
You didn't need it back then. There's this one guy, I won't mention his name, but it rhymes with Jill Tussell, that is considered to be one of the 10 best players of all time even though he's really not.

Hey genius.

Bill Russell 1956 - 1969

KAJ - 1969 - 1989

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
You didn't need it back then. There's this one guy, I won't mention his name, but it rhymes with Jill Tussell, that is considered to be one of the 10 best players of all time even though he's really not.

I'm not going to get into your hatred of Russell, lol. He was known for his defensive abilities and leadership skills more than hie offense.

He won 11 titles, he must've done something right.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Sorry, it's a different game now. Centers aren't allowed to just camp out in the paint and block shots (Mutombo/Eaton). A big now has to be almost agile/athletic as a wing to get by today.

.... You do realize that Mutombo averaged more blocks per game in 16 minutes per game at the age of 42 than Omer Asik is averaging at the age of 26 in 30 minutes per game, right? This was after the rule changes too. Maybe he was just a good shot blocker?!? Just a guess.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
.... You do realize that Mutombo averaged more blocks per game in 16 minutes per game at the age of 42 than Omer Asik is averaging at the age of 26 in 30 minutes per game, right? This was after the rule changes too. Maybe he was just a good shot blocker?!? Just a guess.

Mutombo would not average 4.5/5 blocks or whatever it was a game if he were in his prime today. Defensive 3 seconds alone wouldn't allow it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
And the 80s?

Obliterate? No. But he'd be just fine. The 80's is when the talent became legit.

Edited by Jordan4life

Kareem happens to be the NBA's all-time leading scorer, just throwing that out there, and led some pretty damn legendary teams over some other, pretty damn strong teams (when the league wasn't a fraction of the number of teams now). Putting Dwight in that category of offensive player almost makes me laugh out loud. Defense, rebounds, blocks... yes. Points? LMAO

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Mutombo would not average 4.5/5 blocks or whatever it was a game if he were in his prime today. Defensive 3 seconds alone wouldn't allow it.

Hey genius. Defensive 3 seconds was always a rule, it was just considered an illegal zone back then.

Previously, any form of zone defense was considered an illegal defense violation and resulted in a warning on the first violation and then a technical free throw for any subsequent violations. In the spring of 2001 the rule was changed to its current form as part of an initiative to speed up play in the NBA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)

He averaged 4.5 blocks per game once in his prime and 4.1 another year. Most years were around 3-3.5 and there is absolutely no reason to think he couldn't do that in today's game. Larry freaking Sanders is getting close to 3 blocks per game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Whatever. The 60's and 70's were the same s***. Dwight would obliterate either decade.

Wilt>>>>D12

J4L, I like you dude but I get the feeling you just say somethings for the shock value. :lol:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
Hey genius. Defensive 3 seconds was always a rule, it was just considered an illegal zone back then.

I actually wondered why they didn't call "illegal defense" (with the free throw) anymore (explanation for this, I was off in boot camp and whatnot and didn't have a TV for a couple of years, and was in other countries and s*** later). But yeah 3 seconds was always a rule.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Booqua started it. I saw right through that ruse. I had to reply.

Hey, I just thought it was interesting because it is the first time in HISTORY. I mean, the league has been in existence for a while, so that's pretty crazy.

And yes, I do think the 90s was better and everyone who has seen me post in here obviously knows that. I wasn't trying to sneak one by you.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
well, here it is. This s*** again.

Thanks a lot mexsoxfan#1. You deserve all of the WNBA talk that you get

Sorry, this IS a message forum, right? If you don't like the topic, take your own advice.

Oh, and we are talking about the NBA, the WNBA has it's own thread and I'll be updating it before it dies off... ;) :lol:

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Gmab. Defensive 3 seconds were like handchecking rules during the 90's. Everybody talks about handchecking today. Handdchecking was implemented back in '94 or '95. They just didn't enforce it.

Handchecking has been guarded against in various forms since the 70s. That said, it was further clarified and became the present day force it is with regards to changing the game in 2004.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
Handchecking has been guarded against in various forms since the 70s. That said, it was further clarified and became the present day force it is with regards to changing the game in 2004.

Whatever. It was supposed to be enforced in I believe '95 because everybody was tired of thug ball (pistons/knicks) that had taken over the nba. This along with shortening the 3-point line to boost scoring.

The current hand checking rules has a direct relation to why most of the 10 best guards you name on top of your head are point guards who can score (Westbrook, Paul, Rose, Williams, Wall, Irving, etc.) and only a few are shooting guards (Kobe, Wade, I guess Harden, Ellis)

It also is one of the biggest reasons that a muscular 6'8" 260 pound small forward likes to drive into the paint and play on the perimeter/wings instead of banging in the post.

Defensive 3 second was called all the time, not sure what NBA you were watching.

Lostfan,

This argument does occur, but usually its reasonable like "Magic was better than Oscar Robertson". Not often do you get Dwight Howard would be better than Alcindor.

Kareem was insane, NCAA changed the dunk rules because of him (made it illegal). As a freshman he beat the UCLA varsity team (back then frosh couldnt play on varsity).

Im pretty sure 18 year old Kareem can beat any version of Dwight in any era, let alone man version.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Sorry, this IS a message forum, right? If you don't like the topic, take your own advice.

Oh, and we are talking about the NBA, the WNBA has it's own thread and I'll be updating it before it dies off... ;) :lol:

Hey Im just pointing out this s*** again. I didnt cry about it for 3 pages and then create a mock thread about it. Neither did I tell you not to talk about it.

lol

We are talking about big men.

Hakeem, David Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, would all be top 5 centers today.

So not really making a good argument that Dwight's era for centers is harder than Kareems. Youre actually proving that Dwight should be better because there arent as many good centers.