2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
Proof that the league as a whole is better today than in the 90's. I present to you the 1994 all-stars. Behold. http://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/NBA_1994.html

I can't even believe my eyes.

B.J. armstrong? Mookie Blaylock? Kenny Anderson? Cliff Robinson? Horace Grant? John Starks?

Those are all good players in some form or another. I counter you with Zach Randolph, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Kevin Garnett's old busted ass STARTING, Jrue Holiday

It's not like the all-Star roster was packed with Hall of Famers every year.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Whatever. It was supposed to be enforced in I believe '95 because everybody was tired of thug ball (pistons/knicks) that had taken over the nba. This along with shortening the 3-point line to boost scoring.

Just stop. Your arguments are all pretty much wrong. You have a problem with 60s era NBA? Ok, that's fine. Bunch of white fools with short shorts who sucked and no three point line to leverage them. Beyond that, you're making a fool of yourself.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Just stop. Your arguments are all pretty much wrong. You have a problem with 60s era NBA? Ok, that's fine. Bunch of white fools with short shorts who sucked and no three point line to leverage them. Beyond that, you're making a fool of yourself.

Your source contacted me and said otherwise.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Those are all good players in some form or another. I counter you with Zach Randolph, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Kevin Garnett's old busted ass STARTING, Jrue Holiday

It's not like the all-Star roster was packed with Hall of Famers every year.

You beat me to this post.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/9...allas-mavericks

Cuban said he would consider selecting Griner, a 6-foot-8 three-time All-American and Big 12 player of the year, in the second round of the NBA draft. If the Mavs don't draft her, Cuban said he would have "no problem whatsoever" inviting Griner to try out for a spot on Dallas' summer league team.

"If she is the best on the board, I will take her," Cuban said before the Mavs' Tuesday night game against the Los Angeles Lakers. "I've thought about it. I've thought about it already. Would I do it? Right now, I'd lean toward yes, just to see if she can do it. You never know unless you give somebody a chance, and it's not like the likelihood of any late-50s draft pick has a good chance of making it."

Griner dominated women's college basketball with her size and athleticism, scoring 3,283 points and blocking 748 shots in her career. She also had 18 dunks, including 11 her senior season.

yao-ming-wearing-yaoming-shirt-meme-yaom

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)
Your source contacted me and said otherwise.

Hey, at least I can take a licking and not resort to this type of post, but that's cool. No problem. Rose is a p****.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Proof that the league as a whole is better today than in the 90's. I present to you the 1994 all-stars. Behold. http://www.basketball-reference.com/allstar/NBA_1994.html

I can't even believe my eyes.

B.J. armstrong? Mookie Blaylock? Kenny Anderson? Cliff Robinson? Horace Grant? John Starks?

Yes, because in 20 years a lot of people aren't going to say that about David Lee, Zach Randolph, Brook Lopez, Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, or Rajon Rondo. Hell, guys like Larmarcus Aldridge, Jrue Holiday, Paul George, and Blake Griffin might be on that list of meh all stars. Lets also not forget that Al Horford and his career 13.7 and 9.6 averages have made all star games in this era. Looking at a random all star team probably isn't the best way to gauge an era.

Edit: Didn't see lostfan's post before I posted this.

Edited by Boogua

Point is the way everyone attacks the C position today, it's just as easy to attack perimeter players back in the 90's. Jordan retires and your next best sg is who? Mitch Richmond? Reggie Miller? Pg, you had gary payton, stockton and um? SF you had pippen, hill and then, um? Yeah. It was pretty thin back then.

Gibson said "That's what happens when you rush back and try to help your team win" about his injury.

I know someone reading that might be tempted to make comparisons to Rose, but really stop. Rose's surgery was almost 11 months ago, he's finished healing, finished rehab, and doing intense 5-on-5 practice in which, by all accounts, he looks great. That is hardly "rushing back." Taj sprained his MCL (no surgery required), came back a couple weeks too early, and aggravated it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Point is the way everyone attacks the C position today, it's just as easy to attack perimeter players back in the 90's. Jordan retires and your next best sg is who? Mitch Richmond? Reggie Miller? Pg, you had gary payton, stockton and um? SF you had pippen, hill and then, um? Yeah. It was pretty thin back then.

Please don't make me defend Kobe Bryant. I'm begging you.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)

Yeah, because Eric Gordon and Rudy Gay are amazing. The wings are pretty damn thin right now beyond like 6 guys.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
Gibson said "That's what happens when you rush back and try to help your team win" about his injury.

I know someone reading that might be tempted to make comparisons to Rose, but really stop. Rose's surgery was almost 11 months ago, he's finished healing, finished rehab, and doing intense 5-on-5 practice in which, by all accounts, he looks great. That is hardly "rushing back." Taj sprained his MCL (no surgery required), came back a couple weeks too early, and aggravated it.

You could also read it as "look I care". I'm sure his teammates are pretty sick of Rose and his entourage right now. If he is indeed kicking their asses in scrimmages and then letting them go out there and play while he continues to "rehab" longer than any professional does from an ACL injury.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
c'mon now. I know michael was still in the league when kobe arrived, but i don't consider them from the same era.

You said "Jordan retires and your next great SG is who"

It was pretty self-evidently Kobe unless you were making some entirely different point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)

Your point? Look at the league today!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
c'mon now. I know michael was still in the league when kobe arrived, but i don't consider them from the same era.

You considered KAJ and Bill Russell to be from the same era and Russell retired before KAJ debuted.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
You said "Jordan retires and your next great SG is who"

It was pretty self-evidently Kobe unless you were making some entirely different point.

Well, he did retire twice. You automatically assumed I meant after '98. But I still don't consider them to be from the same era. That would be like lumping Dr. J and MJ into the same era.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Well, he did retire twice. You automatically assumed I meant after '98. But I still don't consider them to be from the same era. That would be like lumping Dr. J and MJ into the same era.

Or Bill Russell and KAJ.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
You could also read it as "look I care". I'm sure his teammates are pretty sick of Rose and his entourage right now. If he is indeed kicking their asses in scrimmages and then letting them go out there and play while he continues to "rehab" longer than any professional does from an ACL injury.

I just don't get this exceptionalism that people want to apply to Rose since he's arguably one of the 5 best players in the NBA. His teammates are grinding it balls-out every night and really pushing to their limits while Rose, through his entourage, is like "there's no point in me coming back." Obviously, nobody wanted Rose to come back before he was healthy or "ready" but we've been long past the point where re-injury or other injuries like Rubio had was a risk, but I'd feel some kind of way about that if I was one of his teammates although I'd never say it out loud or on the record.

If Rose's plan all along was to never play this season, he should've just said that instead of trying to be mealy-mouthed about it and string everyone all along and he'd have saved so much unnecessary drama. The more he talked about it the worse he made it sound, since Rose was never a great communicator to begin with. Listening to Rose speak in public is like watching Michael J. Fox try to compete in a Jenga tournament.