2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
I am still a huge Rose fan, and if they announced tonight he was in the starting lineup against Brooklyn I will delete everything I ever said criticizing and doubting him and act like a b****

Call it conspiracy paranoia, but I believe Rose sitting out is financially motivated. I believe someone has insurance on his contract. We all know how stingy the Bulls are with their money. Now that they are in luxury tax territory and probably not going to get a windfall of a long postseason run, getting some cash for DRose's contract seems like some motivation. And I also wouldn't be surprised if Adidas has some sort of insurance as well.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
I am still a huge Rose fan, and if they announced tonight he was in the starting lineup against Brooklyn I will delete everything I ever said criticizing and doubting him and act like a b****

Enter KC Johnson (this AM) to kick you in the balls. He's good at that.

The Bulls' goal is to get Joakim Noah, Marco Belinelli and Gibson back into game conditioning and rhythm down the regular-season stretch. Richard Hamilton and Derrick Rose remain out indefinitely.

"We're definitely banged up," Nazr Mohammed said. "The good part is it's not like any season-ending injuries. So we're eventually going to get our guys back. The bad part is we're banged up while we're trying to establish a rhythm and maybe get home-court advantage."

The long shots of home-court advantage and Rose returning notwithstanding, Mohammed's mindset plays into the intriguing aspect of how Thibodeau coaches down the stretch.

Listen, KC Johnson said months ago that he didn't think Rose would play this year. Somehow, we all hoped he'd be wrong. F*ck. He's right. Just look at how he continues to write, too (with the bolded).

Rose returning is now a long-shot. See you in 2013/14, kid. Oh yeah, he'll be 25 when the season starts, having effectively not played in an NBA game since he was 23.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Enter KC Johnson (this AM) to kick you in the balls. He's good at that.

Listen, KC Johnson said months ago that he didn't think Rose would play this year. Somehow, we all hoped he'd be wrong. F*ck. He's right. Just look at how he continues to write, too (with the bolded).

Rose returning is now a long-shot. See you in 2013/14, kid. Oh yeah, he'll be 25 when the season starts, having effectively not played in an NBA game since he was 23.

It would be understandable if they said he was struggling in practice or not quite up to speed, but everyone who has seen him in scrimmages says he's dominating. It's not that he still doesn't trust his knee. That's all BS. There is something else.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Call it conspiracy paranoia, but I believe Rose sitting out is financially motivated. I believe someone has insurance on his contract. We all know how stingy the Bulls are with their money. Now that they are in luxury tax territory and probably not going to get a windfall of a long postseason run, getting some cash for DRose's contract seems like some motivation. And I also wouldn't be surprised if Adidas has some sort of insurance as well.

I don't think that sounds that crazy, but it's not a decision the org. proactively made. They wanted Rose to play, they weren't outright trying to force him, but they did really want him to and they leaked that medical clearance report which pissed him and his "camp" off.

btw I wasn't actively posting on Soxtalk for much of the winter cuz of connectivity issues and general life interference so this might not be accurate to this board, but the majority of people who are still aggressively defending Rose mostly fall into 2 categories: #1 being casual/bandwagon Bulls fans who haven't really followed the Rose saga closely if at all, and maybe just watched the #TheReturn series, and #2 being out-of-towners and non-Bulls fans who see Rose as a top 5 player who needs help, but aren't informed about day-to-day Bulls news.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)

The Bulls would not hold him out to collect insurance. They have much more reason to want him to return and have the national spotlight all over the situation.

Except that it is Rose, not the Bulls, who are stalling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Except that it is Rose, not the Bulls, who are stalling.

That's what it at least appears. Could Adidas have some sort of insurance on him missing a season? Considering they pay him more than the Bulls, dragging out "The Return", and collecting several million seems like good business.

There is something more at play than his knee. He's been practicing at a high level too long for that. Maybe it is just Reggie, but I'm thinking there is more.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
I thought about replying to this with something drawn out and detailed, but decided you weren't the time.

That said, I'm not above calling you a f***ing idiot and leaving it at that. Have a nice day!

340x.jpg

Why u mad, tho?

Stay salty, my friend :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
That's what it at least appears. Could Adidas have some sort of insurance on him missing a season? Considering they pay him more than the Bulls, dragging out "The Return", and collecting several million seems like good business.

There is something more at play than his knee. He's been practicing at a high level too long for that. Maybe it is just Reggie, but I'm thinking there is more.

Adidas has nothing to gain from him not playing, on their brand-new $250 million investment

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Adidas has nothing to gain from him not playing, on their brand-new $250 million investment

This is where I will disagree. If he is not dominant when he comes back, his brand, at least temporarily takes a hit. If Adidas has some sort of insurance, that could possibly cover them for almost a year and a half. They drag out "The Return" and depending on the policy, if they have one which I have no idea, have someone else pay DRose the entire $30 or so million he was due or at least a decent chunk, while rehabbing. He comes back next season perhaps a stronger player than he would if he was limited in minutes this year, keeping his brand strong.

Obviously, if DRose was back at full strength and led the Bulls to a nice playoff run, that would be a different story.

Edited by Dick Allen

In the long run I'd agree it's financially motivated. I just don't think it's about insurance. Do they pay insurance if you're physically ready, but not mentally? :)

I think he sat down with his camp, discussed the pros and cons and they decided he'd sit the season out. Reggie has been slowly leaking details since he can't keep his mouth shut.

A neat article about how far you run in various sports.

Of COURSE, Deng runs the most!

Basketball

There's an old wives' tale that the average NBA player will run five miles every game. Not quite. Many NBA teams have started using a system called SportVU, a specialized motion tracking system that enabling teams to get far more detailed stats about their players. In the 2012 season, the player that ran the farthest per game was Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, who averaged 2.72 miles per game. That's no where near the five mile myth, but considering how much of that is sprinting, it's still very impressive.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
When are people going to start calling Noah a girl?

Probably when he no longer has plantar fasciitis, but still refuses to play because his worthless brother makes his decisions for him.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 4, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
Probably when he no longer has plantar fasciitis, but still refuses to play because his worthless brother makes his decisions for him.

While his bro maybe giving bad advice, him being worthless is lay out BS since he was a huge factor in keeping Derrick out of trouble growing up and keeping him on the right path.

We have a bunch of Dave Kaplans on this board.

Noah is actually injured, and playing aggravates it and makes it take longer to recover.

Pretty much the exact opposite of Rose's situation where playing is actually the final stage of rehab.