Story about Dunn and his child

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
I just want to point out it's fine that we booed. I'm not arguing that.

I'm just arguing that this is a legitimate reason for him to have sucked.

And I'm arguing that this is something the Dunn's have dealt with before last year. But because he was god-awful, now it's coming to our attention.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
What separates Sox fans from any other fanbase in sports? Why can't we boo our own when they don't perform?

Because booing is may have a negative impact on performance and I want my team to win, is that a good reason?

Sports are about winning and losing, and I want my team to win.

I boo the other team, because booing is shown to have a negative impact.

See how that works.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
Well, I guess I better stop booing Carlos Boozer for being defensively inept. I'm sure if I cheer real, real, hard he'll morph into 2004 Ben Wallace.

You're a Miami Heat fan, boo the Bulls all you want..

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Wont matter to me, I like negativity, so feed m.

You are all over the place.

How do sports shows, which are created to make money, have anything to do with a players performance on the field being impacted by booing?

Do you even understand the word "fan"?

Fan:

A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or famous person.

Admiration:

Respect and warm approval.

If you are there for purely entertainment, and not to root for the Sox, you are not a fan of the Sox, you are a fan of baseball and then feel free to boo/cheer for whoever you want.

But if you proclaim to be a "FAN" of the "SOX" you should cheer for them.

Since when is cheering a job, lol.

So is cheerleading not a job? Why do teams even hire them?

So fans booing players at the game would impact a player, but if players come on here and see a fan writing negative comments or broadcasters criticizing them on TV will not impact their performance the next day. Have you not written about anything negative about any players on here? Didn't you say if there are 0.0001% chance that your actions will impact a player's performance, you would go against it? Why is it okay for fans to react here, when we do have players who come on this board?

It seems that you are making up your own rules and conditions every time. Honestly, there are so many holes in your arguments I could spend pages debating it. I would stop here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
And I'm arguing that this is something the Dunn's have dealt with before last year. But because he was god-awful, now it's coming to our attention.

It wears on you. Every day I don't have mine gone just adds to the misery. Every thing that doesn't work just adds to depression.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
Sorry to burst people's bubble but White Sox fans are no different than fans of any other team in any other sport. A ridiculously paid player who is stinking up the joint will typically be booed by the fans.

As will an umpire who makes a bad call. Its part of the game. Always has been and always will be, although its undoubtedly more prevalent in the era of mega-contracts that bring mega-expectations.

But I agree that its makes no logical sense (and may indeed be counter-productive) unless a guy is downright dogging it. Still, I don't think booing makes someone a worse fan than someone who doesn't. It stems from passion.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
As will an umpire who makes a bad call. Its part of the game. Always has been and always will be, although its undoubtedly more prevalent in the era of mega-contracts that bring mega-expectations.

But I agree that its makes no logical sense (and may indeed be counter-productive) unless a guy is downright dogging it. Still, I don't think booing makes someone a worse fan than someone who doesn't. It stems from passion.

Yup.

I would like to take this time to apologize to Jamie Navarro. You were a pretty good pitcher (during the heart of the steroid era) and then signed a fat contract with the Sox and forgot how to pitch. Who's to say that you didn't have personal issues? Who knows what was really going on with you at that time? The internet was in its infancy stages and you didn't have the platform to make excuses for being so awful. So just in case, sorry for booing you.

Signed,

J4L

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
So is cheerleading not a job? Why do teams even hire them?

So fans booing players at the game would impact a player, but if players come on here and see a fan writing negative comments or broadcasters criticizing them on TV will not impact their performance the next day. Have you not written about anything negative about any players on here? Didn't you say if there are 0.0001% chance that your actions will impact a player's performance, you would go against it? Why is it okay for fans to react here, when we do have players who come on this board?

It seems that you are making up your own rules and conditions every time. Honestly, there are so many holes in your arguments I could spend pages debating it. I would stop here.

Players dont have to come on this message board, if they voluntarily seek out criticism and/or admiration, they open themselves up to all of the ills on the message board.

As I said previously a proper way to address your concerns is to "write a letter", posting on a message board is writing a letter. If they want to read it, so be it.

You could spend the next 200 years debating, you arent going to change anyone's mind.

F*** the Heat

as far as boo'ing, I think it along witch cheering is one of the few ways fans can have their opinions be heard. Boo'ing is not nice, it's not supposed to be nice, it can be hurtful and unfair and I know logically that I shouldn't do it. But nobody is Mr. Spock, especially sports fans who act often on emotion if they're diehards.

I hope I got that Star Trek reference right since I've never seen the show.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Fan? No. Just realistic and not delusional as some. Take that hawk harrelson cheer until you drop dead garbage somewhere else. It's 2012.

Why the f*** we even play the games? Why not just crown the Yankees before season start. I don't really get your logic.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
If you dont have anything nice to say, you dont need to say anything at all.

What good does it to boo boozer, besides for making you feel a little better about yourself.

Yeah its like how people in every stadium boo Lebron whenever he touches the ball. The man cant even open up internet explorer (lulz) without seeing some trash talked about him nearly every day during the nba season. I had a hard enough time stomaching just my mother in law being against me sheesh.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
Yeah its like how people in every stadium boo Lebron whenever he touches the ball. The man cant even open up internet explorer (lulz) without seeing some trash talked about him nearly every day during the nba season. I had a hard enough time stomaching just my mother in law being against me sheesh.

I dont even know how to interpret this, but Lebron in that suit saying it makes me laugh.

And booing Lebron is smart for other teams, maybe it gets to him.

Heat fans booing Lebron= dumb, at home Lebron should feel that 25k people have his back.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
Why the f*** we even play the games? Why not just crown the Yankees before season start. I don't really get your logic.

Baseball is not basketball. You called me a Heat fan. In the NBA, you have the best players, you win. I never deluded myself into thinking that LeBron, Wade and Bosh weren't going to get at least one. And Boozer is still terrible.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Players dont have to come on this message board, if they voluntarily seek out criticism and/or admiration, they open themselves up to all of the ills on the message board.

As I said previously a proper way to address your concerns is to "write a letter", posting on a message board is writing a letter. If they want to read it, so be it.

You could spend the next 200 years debating, you arent going to change anyone's mind.

You are making up rules again. If a player reads a message board and see any negativity, he's asking for it. If he asks for it, it's okay that their feelings get hurt. But have you ever heard about players not focusing on the game, i.e. drinking and partying? Or have you heard about players being lazy and not practicing? (I am not saying Dunn is, but there are certainly some Sox players who had been offenders.) If they sucked because of it, I guess they are asking for it, and we should boo them. Oh wait, according to you, we should never boo Sox players. You see, your conditions don't work in other scenarios. The notion that no one cares about how the fans feel at the game is plain ridiculous.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
Sorry to burst people's bubble but White Sox fans are no different than fans of any other team in any other sport. A ridiculously paid player who is stinking up the joint will typically be booed by the fans.

bubble...has...been....burst....

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
You're right. I think a good pat on the back and a well get em next time is more than enough.

Hitting coaches around baseball make decent change doing just that.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Because personally I feel the fans need a way to show the players that they aren't pleased with the effort/performance that their team is giving them.

29paez5.jpg

2q3ohfm.jpg

So if supporting their fans is so important to the White Sox, why don't they low their ticket prices or parking fees?

It's a business.

The White Sox are worth roughly $1.2-1.5 BILLION dollars.

If they start giving away tickets for free or operating as a 501c3 nonprofit/charity, then booing becomes more questionable.

That said, it's ridiculous to make so many excuses for players. That's the culture we live in today, where nobody is held accountable for their actions...it's scaring me, but maybe my dad was right and you do lose your "liberalism" as you grown older and understand the ways of the world. Comparing China to the US, having lived there for two years, you see the huge differences. If a student is fat or overweight, they're teased (pretty unmercifully) about it. Being overweight is not seen as a disability or something to be embraced or used as an excuse. And yet you see very very few obese people in Asia, except for the children of the very rich who are spoiled and spend all their time playing computer games and discovering all the latest apps on their cell phones.

Menendez Brothers killed their parents....they were abused, so even though they planned to murder their parents with malice and forethought, excusable.

In the end, every evil action in history can probably be excused. Numerous books have been written about Hitler's youth and childhood, looking for clues or reasons to explain the "pure evil" he later embodied.

To go along with J4L's exaggerated point about Jaime Navarro, where does it end? Albert Belle had a tough childhood and was victimized by racism, so we should excuse his behavior towards fans?

In the end, Adam Dunn would probably tell you himself that he let the pressure of the contract get to him, he came into the season unprepared physically, he came back too early from the appendectomy...he's not going to use his kid as an excuse for performance. Perhaps the boos that Rios and Dunn absorbed are what pushed them to be better players, in the end.

Or can we still keep blaming Ozzie and the fans for the performances (or non-performances) of Joe Borchard, Josh Fields and Brian Anderson, for example?

Brian Anderson was rushed to the majors, he was never allowed to experience failure, he was gifted enough to succeed without working hard until he got to the big leagues and then he was overwhelmed, Walker screwed him, Guillen hated him, he was too attractive to the ladies so he couldn't help but get sucked up into the Chicago nightlife scene, he wasn't properly instructed from a fundamentals standpoint by our minor league staff, blah blah blah.

Can't we also excuse Ozzie for 90% of his Ozzieness because of growing up dirt poor in Venezuela? Is it really his fault where he came from? How can we hold him accountable, when he basically dropped out of school in his middle school years? We expect him to be like LaRussa, Scioscia, Maddon....who came from upper middle class backgrounds and has access to computers and great instructors growing up?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
You are making up rules again. If a player reads a message board and see any negativity, he's asking for it. If he asks for it, it's okay that their feelings get hurt. But have you ever heard about players not focusing on the game, i.e. drinking and partying? Or have you heard about players being lazy and not practicing? (I am not saying Dunn is, but there are certainly some Sox players who had been offenders.) If they sucked because of it, I guess they are asking for it, and we should boo them. Oh wait, according to you, we should never boo Sox players. You see, your conditions don't work in other scenarios. The notion that no one cares about how the fans feel at the game is plain ridiculous.

I never said you shouldnt boo under any circumstance, I said that if they were egregious.

Drinking/partying and not being able to play, boo them.

Dogging it, boo them.

Lazy/not practicing, boo them.

Maybe you should read my arguments, because I said that there is a difference between booing performance (Dunn tried as hard as he could but struck out) and booing for not trying (Dunn swung and missed a drop third but didnt even try and run to first base.)

There is a difference between booing to boo, and booing because a player didnt give it his all, which is all I ask for.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
I never said you shouldnt boo under any circumstance, I said that if they were egregious.

Drinking/partying and not being able to play, boo them.

Dogging it, boo them.

Lazy/not practicing, boo them.

Maybe you should read my arguments, because I said that there is a difference between booing performance (Dunn tried as hard as he could but struck out) and booing for not trying (Dunn swung and missed a drop third but didnt even try and run to first base.)

There is a difference between booing to boo, and booing because a player didnt give it his all, which is all I ask for.

Get outta here with that disney made for tv movie bulls***. These are grown men getting paid millions to perform. Adam Dunn did not perform. Not even a little bit. I don't care how hard you try. If you don't get it done (no pun), off with your head. I can see an injury. That's different. But besides that, that comes with the job. If you don't boo players from your team, fine. But don't act like there's something wrong with those that boo when you suck.