New to the forum

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 04:58 AM)
Hello all.

I'm a new poster to the forum, just registered on Sunday, thought I'd say hello. I'm from Ireland, born and living in Dublin. Up until recently, my sporting passions were Dublin Gaelic Football and Celtic Football (soccer ;) ) Club. I'm a season ticket holder with Celtic and travel over to Scotland for most of their home games and some away trips, as well as travelling all over Ireland supporting Dublin.

I have now also added the White Sox to my sporting interests. Up until a few months ago I had never even watched a game of baseball and, outside of the basic concept of hitting and running, had no real knowledge of the rules. However, over that period, I have really developed an interest and better understanding of the game, opting to support the White Sox. I'm still very much a novice in terms of knowledge about the game, but derive great enjoyment from watching it.

I look forward to exploring the forum more and engaging with and learning from the discussions about all things White Sox.

:gosox3: :headbang

Joxer.

Welcome aboard. Great to have you on the site!!! Hopefully you get to celebrate a world series win during your 1st year of fandom!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
He also portrayed our city rivals as yuppies with delusions of grandeur, so that edged my allegiance ever-closer to the Southsiders.

This line was probably the best way to get people here to like you. Good job.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Welcome aboard. Great to have you on the site!!! Hopefully you get to celebrate a world series win during your 1st year of fandom!!!

It's the very least I'd expect!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm heading home for the evening now. Just a parting question to leave with you all. Are there any books on the history of the Chicago White Sox that you'd recommend for me to get a better understanding of the essence of the team and what shapes and drives the support? I'm planning on getting the 'Greatest Moments in Chicago White Sox History' DVD from the online shop, but aside from the ebs and flows of the teams fortunes, I also want to understand what makes the White Sox identity.

Until tomorrow, folks!

:gosox4:

Okay, so does anyone else read his posts with an Irish accent in their head?

Welcome aboard Joxer! I'm sure you'll love following the Sox. It's nice to see some more international fans.

On a side note, I'm a fan of Irish beer...well, beer in general. There's a lot of Irish in my family (with the last name of Hogan, it shouldn't surprise), and I have two daughters that are competitive Irish dancers. Our goal one day is to make it to Ireland.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
Okay, so does anyone else read his posts with an Irish accent in their head?

Welcome aboard Joxer! I'm sure you'll love following the Sox. It's nice to see some more international fans.

On a side note, I'm a fan of Irish beer...well, beer in general. There's a lot of Irish in my family (with the last name of Hogan, it shouldn't surprise), and I have two daughters that are competitive Irish dancers. Our goal one day is to make it to Ireland.

Kelly here.

I'm very Irish, and obviously am drawn to this thread. I had family that lived in Dublin about 10 years ago, and we went to go visit them back in 2003. Stayed in Dublin for a few days, and also traveled around the coast. It was my all-time favorite vacation, and I can't wait to go back when I'm older! Our family is very much in to the Irish heritage, and I've got the brown hair/eyes and freckles to prove it! Ha. Welcome!

So, have you heard of the Dublin Black Sox, an amatuer baseball team in Dublin? They use the old White Sox logo as their own, and were actually nice enough to send me a free Dublin Black Sox fitted hat some years ago. I don't know if you have Facebook or not, but this is their team site. Maybe you can catch a few games and see if anyone on the team has a common interest in the Chicago White Sox! (I'm sure some of them do).

http://www.facebook.com/groups/158516702215/

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 04:49 AM)
Hello mate.

Artur-Boruc-Short-Hairstyles-Picture.jpg

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Good aul' Artur... Mad as a box of frogs!

JoeCoolMan, only stumbled across the existence of the Dublin Black Sox there recently. Will look into them a bit more alright.

Pittshoganerkoff, great to hear of the roots being kept alive in your family. Hope you make it across sometime. I'll have a pint of Guinness waiting for you. ;)

Again, everyone else, thanks for the warm welcome.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
Welcome to the site. Your not the only poster here who is posting from out of the U.S. btw. :) Good to see another fan from another country here.

I think we've got Australia, Canada, Sweden, and now Ireland. I'm pretty sure there's also Spain and England.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
This guy is one of my personal favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-White-Sox-Be...5742&sr=1-2

That looks like it would be a great addition to a White Sox historical library. I'll do a bit more reading on the history first, so as to have a greater appreciation of the photos if I invest in that in the future.

I just ordered this today: When Chicago Ruled Baseball. It looks like it should be a good read and I'm hoping that, as well as giving an insight into the actual sporting encounter, it will situate the narrative within the social context of the time - life for the team, the city and the fans.

I'm also looking at two books from Richard Lindberg. One is 'Total White Sox', from 2011, and the other is the much older 'Stealing First in a Two-Team Town: The White Sox from Comiskey to Reinsdorf', from 1994. Whilst the newer book is more up to date, I'm just wondering is it more of a straightforward compendium of sporting records of the "the Sox played such a team and this was the result, and then they went on to play that team" type. Does it give much time to discussion and debate of the team's and supporters' experience, identity and place in society? I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the older book would take the latter approach more, but obviously the drawback is that it was published in 1994. Anyone who has read these have any thoughts on the matter?

Hope I'm not being an annoying new guy with all these queries. :)

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
That looks like it would be a great addition to a White Sox historical library. I'll do a bit more reading on the history first, so as to have a greater appreciation of the photos if I invest in that in the future.

I just ordered this today: When Chicago Ruled Baseball. It looks like it should be a good read and I'm hoping that, as well as giving an insight into the actual sporting encounter, it will situate the narrative within the social context of the time - life for the team, the city and the fans.

I'm also looking at two books from Richard Lindberg. One is 'Total White Sox', from 2011, and the other is the much older 'Stealing First in a Two-Team Town: The White Sox from Comiskey to Reinsdorf', from 1994. Whilst the newer book is more up to date, I'm just wondering is it more of a straightforward compendium of sporting records of the "the Sox played such a team and this was the result, and then they went on to play that team" type. Does it give much time to discussion and debate of the team's and supporters' experience, identity and place in society? I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the older book would take the latter approach more, but obviously the drawback is that it was published in 1994. Anyone who has read these have any thoughts on the matter?

Linberg is really good as well.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

Far from it. That's why this place exists.

Welcome to Soxtalk, Joxer. :-)

I'm half Irish, and my dad's side of the family were Irish Catholics from County Armagh in Nothern Ireland and County Louth in the Republic of Ireland. I always hope to visit County Armagh as we'll as Belfast up in th north as well as Dublin and other areas in the Republic someday. :-)

Your friend's decription of the Cubs and their fanbase as being of delusions of grandeur really hits it on the head.

As for some information on the history of the White Sox, and the fan dynamic in the city of Chicago between the south side and the north side, youtube might be a good source of free videos to watch.

I recommend looking on ebay for some White Sox clothes and hats. :-) I'm primarily a fan of the black jerse, but I also like the white jersey and the road grey jersey. I'm not a fan of the red jersey they're wearing on sundays this season, however.

Another thing that might really draw you to the white sox as a fan is how the Sox has a special "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" jersey, which is a version of their jersey with a green trim. Check it out. Out here in the Chicago area you can also easily find green St. Patrick's Day White Sox hats in stores and hat stores in malls all over here. Some may have little shamrocks on them as well. Pretty cool. :-)

Once again, Welcome to Soxtalk. I hope you stick around, because you can learn a LOT about the white sox and baseball in general just by following this site. You can also follow game threads in live time on this thread while you listen or watch live game broadcasts or when you simply follow scoring updates on mlb.com or yahoo. It's definitely fun to participate in the game threads because you get to kind of follow along the game with other people who love the Sox. I also definitely credit soxtalk with broadening my own knowledge of the White Sox and baseball in general ever since I arrived here in 2008.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 06:25 AM)
I'm half Irish, and my dad's side of the family were Irish Catholics from County Armagh in Nothern Ireland and County Louth in the Republic of Ireland. I always hope to visit County Armagh as we'll as Belfast up in th north as well as Dublin and other areas in the Republic someday. :-)

Jaysus! At this rate, with a bit of co-ordination, we'll be able to organise a Soxtalk booze-up in Dublin!!! :headbang :cheers