Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
I have no idea what we'd have to give up for Betances, but it would make sense as a precursor to a deal for a legit SP.

Have you read how bad Betances has been this year? Scouts pretty much have him pegged as a pen arm.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Lol...Kansas City needs to develop an entire pitching staff before their position players leave or get expensive. I'm not worried about them yet.

As for Detroit, have Fielder or Cabrera missed time this year? Otherwise, you are saying a 34 year old coming off a significant injury is going to be the big difference maker for them next year. He should help some, but let's not get carried away here. They too have pitching problems that must be addressed.

BTW, let's not forget the Sox have suffered some injuries this year. Danks and Crain have been pretty big ones and yet here we are sitting in first place. If you are going to play the injury card, make sure you play it for all sides.

And exactly what is Paul Konerko? He's older without the injury. Look around the starting line up. Old catcher. Old at first. If you resign Youk at third you're old there too. Rios is having a career year, do you believe he will continue this? De Aza isn't a long term solution, IMO. and Tank is...well Tank. I'm not the biggest fan as I think he needs more power and power walks if you want to put up with the average defense on his best day and tons of K's.

The time to win another title is now. Not next year.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Wish we could be after Septimo's performance tonight, I think Thornton is here to stay.

Probably. After this game, it's best to deal Viciedo for the rotation upgrade and Jones for pen help. Of course, you'd have to add sweetners, maybe even Quintana, but you have to do it at this point.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 03:00 AM)
Probably. After this game, it's best to deal Viciedo for the rotation upgrade and Jones for pen help. Of course, you'd have to add sweetners, maybe even Quintana, but you have to do it at this point.

Trading Viciedo for someone who's only a rental would be just a terrible idea. Look at the contracts being thrown around for Hamels and Greinke. 20 million dollars...yeah right, Sox won't be offering that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Trading Viciedo for someone who's only a rental would be just a terrible idea. Look at the contracts being thrown around for Hamels and Greinke. 20 million dollars...yeah right, Sox won't be offering that.

Do you think the Sox will have a better chance to win a World Series in the next three years with Viciedo than they have at this very moment. If the answer is anything other than yes you can't keep him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)
Do you think the Sox will have a better chance to win a World Series in the next three years with Viciedo than they have at this very moment. If the answer is anything other than yes you can't keep him.

Considering that besides Hamels I don't think there's a true ace on the market, then no I don't think trading him gives them a better chance at the WS.

Gimme a break, Viciedo is a .275 hitter who is gonna hit 25-30 homeruns, doesn't walk, doesn't hit doubles, and strikes out a lot..

Its crazy that people think Viciedo is some untouchable prize, yet Jared Mitchell who is having a solid season in Double A is horses*** and worthless..

Ide rather win now, and ide not only be up for trading Viciedo but Quintana as well.. Hell maybe you could sucker someone into taking Viciedo and Quintana as the only return for one of these top pitchers.. Wed STEAL that deal, easy

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:10 AM)
Gimme a break, Viciedo is a .275 hitter who is gonna hit 25-30 homeruns, doesn't walk, doesn't hit doubles, and strikes out a lot..

Its crazy that people think Viciedo is some untouchable prize, yet Jared Mitchell who is having a solid season in Double A is horses*** and worthless..

Ide rather win now, and ide not only be up for trading Viciedo but Quintana as well.. Hell maybe you could sucker someone into taking Viciedo and Quintana as the only return for one of these top pitchers.. Wed STEAL that deal, easy

Who's going to play left field if Viciedo is dealt? Also, in today's era, many GMs are clamoring for power bats because they're so hard to find on the market, so Viciedo should be worth way more than a rental. Trading Viciedo and Quintana for 10 starts of Greinke? No thanks

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Did some asshat just suggest we trade Viciedo and Quintana (as sweetner) for a middle relief guy?

What a fool.

Uh, who said a middle reliever?

And the only fools around here are people who think Quintana is legit.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 03:23 AM)
Uh, who said a middle reliever?

And the only fools around here are people who think Quintana is legit.

I think we all accept he's not a 2 ERA pitcher, but he seems like he could be a solid #4/5 for cheap for years to come. With the way Greinke has pitched of late, who's to say Greinke will pitch better the rest of the way than Q?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
I think we all accept he's not a 2 ERA pitcher, but he seems like he could be a solid #4/5 for cheap for years to come. With the way Greinke has pitched of late, who's to say Greinke will pitch better the rest of the way than Q?

The odds of Greinke pitching better than Q the rest of the season is prolly pretty high.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)

Fathom, you sound pretty optimistic on the next 3 years or so for the Sox. What are you basing that on?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
Have you read how bad Betances has been this year? Scouts pretty much have him pegged as a pen arm.

Oh I saw how bad his stats were in AAA. I'm just assuming if trade for Betances, then some team out there must still like and want him as part of a trade. I see no reason why we'd trading any assets for a struggling minor league starter otherwise.

I don't think trading him for Hamels would be a bad idea.

Would winning the World Series be a bad idea this year?

If they want any chance of capitalizing on the lead we have now, and hopefully staying there, they need to make a move like that.. We cant sit back and say "Hey we got all these rookies and are in first, this will surely be sustained!"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 03:33 AM)
I don't think trading him for Hamels would be a bad idea.

Would winning the World Series be a bad idea this year?

Yes, terrible idea trying to win it this year :)

The thing is, I still don't believe the Sox can compete with other teams to get these marquee players. Rangers have so much more to offer than the Sox do, and they supposedly want Hamels. I've said a few times now that the Sox/Brewers absolutely don't match up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
Yes, terrible idea trying to win it this year :)

The thing is, I still don't believe the Sox can compete with other teams to get these marquee players. Rangers have so much more to offer than the Sox do, and they supposedly want Hamels. I've said a few times now that the Sox/Brewers absolutely don't match up.

I wouldn't do it for Greinke.

I would for Hamels. Then I'd offer him a lot of money to stay.

Pair him with Sale, Quintana and Peavy, and you have an awfully good chance at beating the Rangers...more so than with Viciedo.

Next year, you see where the cards fall....if you can sign Hamels and Peavy wants to stay, you tell him you'll bring him back on a 2/$20. If he has problems with that, you let him walk.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
If they want any chance of capitalizing on the lead we have now, and hopefully staying there, they need to make a move like that.. We cant sit back and say "Hey we got all these rookies and are in first, this will surely be sustained!"

Not only that, but you absolutely have to capitalize on the season Chris Sale is having. Get to the postseason, back him up with Peavy and Greinke and take your chances. When the alternative is having a 30 homer LF'er on a team struggling for third place in its division, it's a no-brainer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:40 AM)

Phillies going to offer him 120 million dollars reports say. I think it would have been more realistic for Sox to even consider that if Danks didn't sign his extension.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:40 AM)
Not only that, but you absolutely have to capitalize on the season Chris Sale is having. Get to the postseason, back him up with Peavy and Greinke and take your chances. When the alternative is having a 30 homer LF'er on a team struggling for third place in its division, it's a no-brainer.

Greinke is extremely overrated. 2009 looks like an outlier in his career.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)

Pair him with Sale, Quintana and Peavy, and you have an awfully good chance at beating the Rangers...more so than with Viciedo.

Next year, you see where the cards fall....if you can sign Hamels and Peavy wants to stay, you tell him you'll bring him back on a 2/$20. If he has problems with that, you let him walk.

Do it for either Hamels or Greinke. Cliff Lee for that matter.