Waiver Wire Thread?

Hudson appears to be a clubhouse guy, and if he is, Kenny isn't going to screw with the chemistry to make an upgrade so slight that it probably doesn't even translate to 1 extra win through the rest of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Olmedo is someone to upgrade over because he's only been here briefly, but even an upgrade there is far from dire.

Whoever is out there, it makes sense to get a guy who can play 3B, pinch run, and preferably someone who has caught a few games before given how often Robin likes to have AJ PH for Flowers. The bat really doesn't matter at all since whoever we would bring in couldn't be expected to contribute offensively anyway. Defense + baserunning + attitude/personality in the clubhouse is all that matters.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
wite, is there any inside info that you are referring to about the "that you will hear about" comment?

Not at all. You just won't hear about players being claimed on waivers because it's generally pretty private unless it is a very high profile name. Even then it takes some speculation - with both Rios and Manny, it was fairly obvious the Sox have claimed them both, but there was never any confirmation for either one of them until the other team just let him go (Rios) or trade negotiations stalled and the original team found it worthwhile enough just to let him go (Manny). Nobody knew that Danny Valencia, Wil Nieves, or Jose Mijares had been claimed on waivers (and the latter's a pretty damn good reliever), but they've all been claimed/traded and went through waivers pretty easily.

If someone is released, then it's an actual transaction made by the organization and you are required to notify MLB of it. If there isn't a press release notifying the public of the move, it will be notated somewhere and any sports site will make note of the transaction.

That's the difference.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
Not at all. You just won't hear about players being claimed on waivers because it's generally pretty private unless it is a very high profile name. Even then it takes some speculation - with both Rios and Manny, it was fairly obvious the Sox have claimed them both, but there was never any confirmation for either one of them until the other team just let him go (Rios) or trade negotiations stalled and the original team found it worthwhile enough just to let him go (Manny). Nobody knew that Danny Valencia, Wil Nieves, or Jose Mijares had been claimed on waivers (and the latter's a pretty damn good reliever), but they've all been claimed/traded and went through waivers pretty easily.

If someone is released, then it's an actual transaction made by the organization and you are required to notify MLB of it. If there isn't a press release notifying the public of the move, it will be notated somewhere and any sports site will make note of the transaction.

That's the difference.

Thanks for the clarification. I just misinterpreted what you said. Fontenot is a free agent now though. I would imagine he signs with someone within the next few days.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Hudson appears to be a clubhouse guy, and if he is, Kenny isn't going to screw with the chemistry to make an upgrade so slight that it probably doesn't even translate to 1 extra win through the rest of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Olmedo is someone to upgrade over because he's only been here briefly, but even an upgrade there is far from dire.

Whoever is out there, it makes sense to get a guy who can play 3B, pinch run, and preferably someone who has caught a few games before given how often Robin likes to have AJ PH for Flowers. The bat really doesn't matter at all since whoever we would bring in couldn't be expected to contribute offensively anyway. Defense + baserunning + attitude/personality in the clubhouse is all that matters.

Removing a guy that plays once a month isnt going to screw with chemistry

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
Removing a guy that plays once a month isnt going to screw with chemistry

So dumping a player who may be there only for his influence in the clubhouse isn't going to affect the clubhouse? That makes no sense.

"Upgrading" over Hudson is absolutely pointless anyway. There is nobody good out there, and if you find someone useful, he's replacing Olmedo. The Hudson stuff is even worse than the complaining over Flowers' lack of offense.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
So dumping a player who may be there only for his influence in the clubhouse isn't going to affect the clubhouse? That makes no sense.

"Upgrading" over Hudson is absolutely pointless anyway. There is nobody good out there, and if you find someone useful, he's replacing Olmedo. The Hudson stuff is even worse than the complaining over Flowers' lack of offense.

Robin started Olmedo over Hudson today, what does that tell you? Olmedo can play more positions than Hudson anyway. Mike Fontenot should replace Hudson on the roster like yesterday.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Robin started Olmedo over Hudson today, what does that tell you? Olmedo can play more positions than Hudson anyway. Mike Fontenot should replace Hudson on the roster like yesterday.

I took that as Olmedo has been on this team since 7/29 and played in a whopping 1 game, and as a pinch runner. Robin was probably just giving him some playing time.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)

Upgrading over Hudson is absolutely not useless, the guy isnt even over the mendoza line. If you can get a solid defender back there so you arent forced to use him OR Olmedo, you do it. I would like to see both of them go, but if it ends up being Hudson I wont shed a tear.

I like that you decided he is such a chemistry lynchpin though. Dont let the o-dawg go, the clubhouse will fall apart!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
They have to find a LF'er who puts Viciedo on the bench, its the easiest way to upgrade the team.

Man, I don't know how you can go from a guy I want to defend to just flat out troll.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
They have to find a LF'er who puts Viciedo on the bench, its the easiest way to upgrade the team.

Against righties, yes I agree. Im on that bandwagon now. There is no time to let him continue to struggle. We are in a pennant race. If we weren't, then fine. But we are.

Looks like EE was a great guy in the clubhouse i dont think the clubhouse has floundered so far. I dont think getting rid of Odawg would be bad either. Olmedo can play for Alexie and Beck when necessary and get a guy who can play 3rd/1st and possibly outfield... wait we have Conor Jackson in AAA. Hes hitting .291 against RHP with 14 doubles and 6 HR also a .373 OBP (not terrible) and a .814 ops. I would say he would be an upgrade over Odawg if he can play 3rd and some OF for us so DeAza can be primarily backed up by JorDanks and Jackson can cover the corner spots possibly. Im just saying why go get someone when you have a guy in the farm who doesnt belong there with his age. Give him a shot with the big club.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
Man, I don't know how you can go from a guy I want to defend to just flat out troll.

How on earth is pointing out that Viciedo sucks ass being a "troll"? The dude has been complete trash since May ended.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8398/s...OjZYj3g0DSFCLcF

Even with that .995 OPS month, Viciedo has an OPS+ of 88. That is dreadful.

• 2 weeks later...