Peavy's future here

thedoctor

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Declining the option is pretty much a given, no matter how good he has been or will be. Sox are not dishing out $22M to any one player.

If Jake likes it in Chicago enough to give the Sox a bit of a discount, then he will stay.

If he insists on testing the market, somebody will overpay for him, just like they did for Buehrle.

I'd rather re-sign Liriano for $11M per year than Jake for $17M per year.

Great post. But the discount isn't going to happen IMO. Never does. Players follow the money trail.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
with some of these contracts these pitchers are getting, peavy is getting way more than 10mil a year and 2 years

Very true. Very true.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
I just feel like he'll get something like 2/30 from a team like the Dodgers. Also, given his extreme workload this year, I wouldn't be upset if the Sox let him go elsewhere. With that said, it's great to see him have a great year and erase so many of the bad memories from his first few years here.

Fathom speaks the truth IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
It will be interesting if he wants to stay with the Sox or try to get that one last big multi-year contract.

Cmon. You know how these things work. He may want to stay with the Sox but after they decline the option, he's going where the money is. Only way he comes back is if everybody is afraid to sign him cause of past injury woes. I personally think it will be four years to the Dodgers for 14.5 million a year.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
The only way I'd consider offering him anything is if Danks has a prognosis after surgery saying he won't pitch next year.

Especially with what Quintana has come up with this year, the Sox are deep enough to fill rotation holes more cheaply than Peavy. If you throw a Liriano extension into the mix it would start getting ridiculous.

Seriously, take a look:

Sale

Danks

Floyd

Quintana

Humber

Axelrod

Castro

Santiago possibly

That's 8 deep, 6 of them cheap, with guys who can at least cover the back of the order and could be worth developing. And we have this annoying habit of having other quality guys appear magically like Quintana did this year while we're at it.

We can trade Floyd and still consider ourselves to have depth in the rotation.

If we're spending money this offseason, bring Youk back for one more year assuming he finishes this year healthy, and sign AJ for 2 more.

Peavy is a #1 starter, not just some random rotation spot. None of the guys you listed are filling that void.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Peavy is a #1 starter, not just some random rotation spot. None of the guys you listed are filling that void.

you could make an argument that sale could. of course that's a could not a would.

Peavy is going to cost $4M if we let him walk. That is locked in and will be on the books. Period. So, if we pick up the option the effective cost is $14M. Now, who can we sign for 1 year at $14M that will be better than Jake Peavy? Probably nobody. Also, you are giving up potential mid-season trade bait is we suck next year, or a draft pick if he says all year. I'd say to pick the option up.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
you could make an argument that sale could. of course that's a could not a would.

I'm saying Peavy is a #1 starter based on his production. Sale would also qualify as a #1 starter. IMO, the strength of our team is that we have two guys who could be #1 starters on many other teams.

If you let Peavy go and replace him with an internal candidate, you've most likely gone from #1 starter production to #4/5 starter production. That's going to be a signicant downgrade and one that will impact the standings greatly.

Unless you have serious concerns about his workload this year, I'd seriously consider picking up that option.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Peavy is going to cost $4M if we let him walk. That is locked in and will be on the books. Period. So, if we pick up the option the effective cost is $14M. Now, who can we sign for 1 year at $14M that will be better than Jake Peavy? Probably nobody. Also, you are giving up potential mid-season trade bait is we suck next year, or a draft pick if he says all year. I'd say to pick the option up.

His option is for $22 million, so the marginal cost is $18 million, but I agree with your other points.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
Tear the old deal up and come up with a new one. Same for Youkilis and maybe Liriano as well.

And then let's extend Sale while we're at it and try to get Quintana on one of those cheapy Sergio Santos type of deals.

But first things first, win the World Series and up the payroll.

If only this was all simple haha. :headbang

I am not worried about the rotation going into the offseason. If you look at the starters who will be testing the market, KW will have plenty of options. Personally, I would love to see what Liriano could do in a full year with the Sox. You can probably sign him up to a reasonable deal. I'm guessing they wont take Floyds option. If the Sox make the playoffs this year, we could see a boost in payroll. If that happens, I wouldn't be suprised if KW goes after a true stud- King Felix! It will cost al ot of prospects and money, but he is that true #1.

My first choice is to sign him to a 2-3 year deal at the $13-$15 mil per range, if not I am not oppose to picking up his option at all, because it will be his contract year next year. He has throw a lot of pitches this year, but nothing in his performance suggests that he couldn't handle the workload and his velocity is consistent.

Last off season we let Mark walk and many of you still want him back. Peavy is a legit ace, if he demands Buehrle type money, I will give it to him.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)

This. Seriously. One year $14 M for Jake is a no-brainer. But it's not my money.

If White Sox weren't in contention he would have been traded at the deadline. I think this is it for Peavy with us. Too much money. There will be less expensive starters available in offseason and we have options in house. We are riding him hard this season to squeeze all of the juice out of him that we paid for. And he doesnt seem to mind bc he has that John Wayne/Rudy mentality. Good chance that he might decline pitching-wise next year.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
And how do you plan on replacing him and remaining competitive? We're talking about the #8 SP in terms of WAR.

If Danks comes back and Sale and Quintana suffer no ill effects of having an innings boost this year, you could probably get that and more. If Sale stays healthy and is ready for 180+ innings next year, that's cy young material.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Jake already said he would love to stay in Chicago, buy out and sign him to a reasonable deal.

They always say that. If "buy out" costs him money, he's not going to do that. It doesn't happen. Who is his agent anyway? If the Sox don't exercise his option he'll take whatever money the Sox owe him, go to free agency and sign to the highest bidder. If anything, it'd probably be a west coast NL team. Dodgers, baby.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
My first choice is to sign him to a 2-3 year deal at the $13-$15 mil per range, if not I am not oppose to picking up his option at all, because it will be his contract year next year. He has throw a lot of pitches this year, but nothing in his performance suggests that he couldn't handle the workload and his velocity is consistent.

Last off season we let Mark walk and many of you still want him back. Peavy is a legit ace, if he demands Buehrle type money, I will give it to him.

Have you forgotten Jake's injury history? It's not like he's now physically invincible. He's still Jake Peavy an injury concern.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:57 AM)
If he commands more than 3/$45M, I don't want. Can't sign someone with his durability concerns to a contract longer than that, or more lucrative. Even the numbers I just stated would make me nervous.

Yes! In a perfect world, his next deal should be for three years. That's provided he finishes this year's WS healthy and as good as he is right now.

The problem is if Jake finishes the season pitching as well as he is now, he'll probably get four years from somebody.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
Yes! In a perfect world, his next deal should be for three years. That's provided he finishes this year's WS healthy and as good as he is right now.

The problem is if Jake finishes the season pitching as well as he is now, he'll probably get four years from somebody.

I do believe that's the case. And given Kenny's track record, I doubt he signs Peavy for that length of time. I'm fully prepared for Peavy to walk at the end of the year. He'd be hard to replace, but I just don't see KW paying a premium for someone with Jake's track record of injury, on top of diminished velocity (granted, he's pitched extremely well despite the reduced speed, but it's gotta be a concern when looking 4-5 years down the road).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
They always say that. If "buy out" costs him money, he's not going to do that. It doesn't happen. Who is his agent anyway? If the Sox don't exercise his option he'll take whatever money the Sox owe him, go to free agency and sign to the highest bidder. If anything, it'd probably be a west coast NL team. Dodgers, baby.

Have you forgotten Jake's injury history? It's not like he's now physically invincible. He's still Jake Peavy an injury concern.

That's why he gets no more than a 3 year deal.