Game Thread 9/7

cabiness42

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
I am usually as optimistic as anyone here, but this team has lost its mojo...they know the Royals and Tigers own them, and they aren't focused.

I hope they prove me dead wrong. Dead wrong.

But I don't see them heading to the Postseason.

And as Fathom said, the manager is not helping the cause.

4-9 against the Royals now. 6 losses in a row. 7 losses in a row to the Tigers.

So 8-19 against both teams, combined. 13 consecutive losses.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
Well, if you look at the whole picture (stats on the year), you'd see that something killing the Sox is their bullpen.

I would definitely agree if the statement looked like this.

You gotta chill out...we haven't played well for about 10 days. That's okay. We haven't been healthy either, hardly seen anything from Dunn and Youk is hurting as well (I realize he just had a child). Let's see how this series ends and how we play the Tigs at home. It's easy to read into everything that happens into the final month, but this season is more than that. We've won some huge games and have shown some major cajones. Those things still count when we can't pull through. Don't forget to look at the whole picture.

Dismissing all important wins as mere happenstance and seeing every failure as proof of our mediocrity doesn't make any sense. If you were a baseball player with that attitude, you'd be Gordon Beckham.

That was a great speech man. You've inspired me.

:usa

Win the next two!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
Maybe morel should have been called up. Lopez was our only option at third. Hudson isn't playing third anymore. If you have Morel, you can use him for defense and could pinch hit for Lopez in a situation like tonight.

Morel=3B version of Gordon Beckham. Maybe worse.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 03:16 AM)
LOL! Kenny wanted to show everybody in the off season how smart he was by bypassing Sandy Alomar Jr. and hiring somebody with no coaching or managerial experience just so Don Cooper can have more power. Now we all are paying the price. Serves Williams right.

There are a lot of Sox pitchers Cooper now needs to fix. This marathon season has claimed a ton of them. Now Reed looks like s***. He's horrific. Quintana is toast. Liriano is a mess. Only Sale appears capable of a gem and he's continuing to look like a guy who needs 10 days off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 03:24 AM)
I am usually as optimistic as anyone here, but this team has lost its mojo...they know the Royals and Tigers own them, and they aren't focused.

I hope they prove me dead wrong. Dead wrong.

But I don't see them heading to the Postseason.

And as Fathom said, the manager is not helping the cause.

Exactly. They cannot beat KC or Detroit. Just pencil those games in as losses. Sox will be lucky to win two of their next six games.

No matter who our hitting coach is, the offense is home run or nothing, which is fine when we are blasting home runs. The team can't get runners in from third base with less than two outs in games that matter. The team can't move runners. The bullpen remains crap no matter who the manager is or how much power Coop has. I think KC and Detroit are putting this Sox team out of its misery. It's a very very mediocre baseball team. I think Ventura will be manager of the year for getting it as far as it has gone. The starting pitching is average at best and the bullpen is one of the worst in baseball and the lineup is all or nothing HR wise. It's pretty bad when the Sox have no chance each and every time they play KC.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Morel=3B version of Gordon Beckham. Maybe worse.

I said for defense. Not for hitting. If morel was on the bench tonite then Lopez could

Have been pinch hit for by Flowers, dJohnson, or Hudson. Morel could have then come in the game

In the ninth as a defensive replacement.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 05:02 AM)
Exactly. They cannot beat KC or Detroit. Just pencil those games in as losses. Sox will be lucky to win two of their next six games.

No matter who our hitting coach is, the offense is home run or nothing, which is fine when we are blasting home runs. The team can't get runners in from third base with less than two outs in games that matter. The team can't move runners. The bullpen remains crap no matter who the manager is or how much power Coop has. I think KC and Detroit are putting this Sox team out of its misery. It's a very very mediocre baseball team. I think Ventura will be manager of the year for getting it as far as it has gone. The starting pitching is average at best and the bullpen is one of the worst in baseball and the lineup is all or nothing HR wise. It's pretty bad when the Sox have no chance each and every time they play KC.

No, it's really not. I think people underestimate how much injuries have killed the depth on this team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
No, it's really not. I think people underestimate how much injuries have killed the depth on this team.

There's s team from Detroit with 2 really good starters and best 3,4 combo in baseball and they are the ones playing mediocre.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
He's better than Verlander right now

I agree. There was a lot of pitches Verlander got away with because of a slumping Sox team.

Trout is a stud. That was a great at bat vs, Scherzer.

Edited by kitekrazy

Notice Scioscia's key pinch-hit of Callaspo for the normally more "dangerous" Trumbo in that situation.

Needed a contact hitter...same problem in Sox game, Gordon Beckham is most definitely not a contact hitter by any stretch of the imagination.

Then again, even if we scored the go-ahead run, what were the odds of Reed being able to save the game? Not good at all.