9/16 White Sox at Twins

Question for umpires or guys who have an uncanny knowledge of rules. If the ball would've bounced over for a ground rule double. Would they have scored it a 2 run double, or just left it as a single? I was always told the extra runs wouldn't count unless it was a home run but I was never told how to score a ground rule double in this scenario.

It's a single and only one run counts.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
It would be even be funnier if they suspended Cabrera for bumping the ump, but it would probably be appealed and he wouldn't miss the White Sox game tomorrow.

One can hope, at least.

Yea, they would appeal it in .001 seconds in order for Cabrera to play

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

71.9% again for Sox.

Down to 36.5% for Tigers.

Armaggedon tomrw. Maybe the Sox will actually relax, knowing that they will go into the last two weeks of the season with at least a 1 game lead. Pressure squarely back onto the backs of the Tigers to not go 3 games down with 15 left.

Orioles cooling off the A's finally today. Except we should also be cheering for the A's because the O's are closer just in case we need the 2nd WC.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

71.9% again for Sox.

Down to 36.5% for Tigers.

Armaggedon tomrw. Maybe the Sox will actually relax, knowing that they will go into the last two weeks of the season with at least a 1 game lead. Pressure squarely back onto the backs of the Tigers to not go 3 games down with 15 left.

Orioles cooling off the A's finally today. Except we should also be cheering for the A's because the O's are closer just in case we need the 2nd WC.

Division-wise, it's 68.8 to 31.2. If the Tigers win tomorrow, I'd put that at 58/42 Sox. If the Sox win, it's probably 81/19.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
If the tigers don't win this I think there is gonna be a massive broom through the while tigers org... F you espn too

Leyland would probably resign. Doubt he'd be fired, they respect him too much in that front office...they would rather push out hitting and pitching coaches than change players or the manager, IMO.

They're getting back Victor Martinez too next year.

Really, they need to bounce Peralta out of Detroit and get a SS more like Alexei Ramirez. Dirks has been great, but will he repeat or end up disappointing like Raburn, Avila (injured today) and Boesch?

Will the real Delmon Young please stand up? One of the most enigmatic players in baseball, after the dominant run he had in Minnesota in 2010 where he put up MVP numbers for 4 1/2 months.

Pitching wise, they're set. When your 6th starter is as good as Smyly (almost a 1:1 IP to K ratio and a lefty to boot), you're pretty well set up in that area.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
Valverde's pitched in 5 of their last 6 games and probably won't be available tomorrow. Benoit will be, but probably no Valverde.

Villarreal's the scary one now, with Dotel and Benoit both struggling from time to time in recent months.

79-66, equals their mark of 79-83 last year with 17 games left to go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
I'm over getting mad at Peavy. He is what he is. A pretty good, definitely not great, starting pitcher. He is hittable and the wheels can fall off at any point. He's OK, definitely in the upper half of starting pitchers, but he is far from dominant. He's not worth some huge contract, but a ton of starters in the bigs are overpaid as well as him.

IF top 20 is upper half, then sure. There is no arguing that he has been a top 20 to top 25 pitcher in all of baseball this year. There are, if you assume 5 starters per team, over 150 starters. That puts him far more then just being in the upper half. Plus, what is it with some of you all. He gave up 2 runs and got the win.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
IF top 20 is upper half, then sure. There is no arguing that he has been a top 20 to top 25 pitcher in all of baseball this year. There are, if you assume 5 starters per team, over 150 starters. That puts him far more then just being in the upper half. Plus, what is it with some of you all. He gave up 2 runs and got the win.

Yah, I think Peavy has been amazing this year. One of the biggest reasons were up two with a few weeks left in the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
Leyland would probably resign. Doubt he'd be fired, they respect him too much in that front office...they would rather push out hitting and pitching coaches than change players or the manager, IMO.

They're getting back Victor Martinez too next year.

What are they going to do with Martinez? Is he DH / 1B with Fielder, or does he catch and bump out Avila?

I can't believe that they are going to continue to put Cabrera out at 3B.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
What are they going to do with Martinez? Is he DH / 1B with Fielder, or does he catch and bump out Avila?

Martinez has to be the DH.

He's an AWFUL AWFUL catcher defensively, and would make Joe Cowley look good if he played the position.

Cabrera has been decent to better than expected at 3B, a bit like Viciedo in LF, to make a comparison.

The real problems are up the middle and the corner outfielders defensively.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
Division-wise, it's 68.8 to 31.2. If the Tigers win tomorrow, I'd put that at 58/42 Sox. If the Sox win, it's probably 81/19.

Those are just insane percentages. The Tigers and Sox play Monday. If Detroit wins (and I would think the departed Caesar will be betting heavily on the Tigers) they are only one out. That's just crazy to have us heavy favorites at this point. And we play the Royals 3 more in KC. WTF?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)

I'd agree with top 30 pitcher I guess, not top 20 in the league. He's a good pitcher, I'll give him that. He's not special I don't think. I'd think some of our knowledgeable stat minded posters could quickly put together a list of the best and I'd expect to see Peavy about No. 25-30.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)

you have to think Vmarts catching days are behind him, his knees are shot. And it wasnt like he was a great catcher anyways

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
Those are just insane percentages. The Tigers and Sox play Monday. If Detroit wins (and I would think the departed Caesar will be betting heavily on the Tigers) they are only one out. That's just crazy to have us heavy favorites at this point. And we play the Royals 3 more in KC. WTF?

I'd agree with top 30 pitcher I guess, not top 20 in the league. He's a good pitcher, I'll give him that. He's not special I don't think. I'd think some of our knowledgeable stat minded posters could quickly put together a list of the best and I'd expect to see Peavy about No. 25-30.

Greg, you can do it yourself.

What are the key stats you would accept for a pitcher. Well, obviously his 11-11 record is more indicative of poor run support and a lot of blown games by the bullpen. Some but not all of it was self-inflicted.

I did this last week. WHIP, ERA and WAR. Here it is, as of today's games.

MLB RANKS

WHIP, 10th

WAR, 9th

ERA, 21st

K's, 14th

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 16, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Could be they trade v-mart

Not until he proves he's healthy.

And he's got the same issue as Dunn, except Dunn is a power hitter and V-Mart is more and more going to be a clutch RBI with 10-15 homers per year.

That contract is not favorable to any team....taking a chance on a rehabbing, injury-prone, 30 something guy. Not very likely, without a 25-50% subsidy from Illitch, not unlike the Thome deal to the Sox from Gillick to open up a spot for Ryan Howard.