Steve Stone NOT leaving

Buehrle>Wood

If it is Hawk vs. Stone and one has to go, Stone is gone. I thought with the rumors, Steve's comment last night was a farewell, but now I'm thinking he wouldn't mind staying but the dynamics of the broadcast he feels must change. I think he wants it to be more of a conversation and the one thing I heard that stood out, he said if he has a different opinion Hawk sometimes takes it as a challenge to his baseball acumen rather than two different perspectives. In other words, I really don't think he hates Hawk like a ton of people would love him to say, I think he just wants to be a bigger part of the broadcast.

I don't think Hawk's ego is as big as a lot of people think. He just has his opinions and like a lot of us on this board with our own opinions, thinks those opinions are pretty solid, and the slightest hint someone may not agree, makes him very defensive.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
Hawk should be given a nice severance package, and they should get a new PBP guy in there....and not a former player.

Isn't it possible that Hawk is part of the problem with attendance? He turns so many people off that they have a hard time attracting new fans. And he also is so down when the team loses, it makes the fans they have so negative, they don't want to watch them in person.

I know the attendance issue is very complex, and it's not the main reason why the Sox don't draw. But I don't think Hawk helps the situation...I think he hurts the team in a lot of ways.

Hawk attracts more fans if anything.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Based on? I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. I don't know any non-die hards that like him. He's the punchline of jokes. Most of the diehard fans I know are fed up with his act.

His enthusiasm is great for younger viewers. Put your hate aside.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
I'm hearing Bob Brenley might be available.

Kasper/Brenly booth is solid. Unless some sort of a managerial gig presents itself, not sure why he would leave. In any case, I hope he doesn't...

I'm sort of having trouble imagining him paired with Hawk. I think he would go well with Stone.

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
He sounds like a guy that doesn't want to put up with Hawk's BS anymore

I would agree after listening to it. Odd thing is a few years ago, remember when Stone subbed? Hawk was great with him and everybody was clamoring for a Hawk/Stone broadcast team. Then this year, Hawk was great, just great when Wimpy was around.

They probably should do what the Royals do and flip/flop these guys between TV and radio. Hawk probably should have several different partners. Sounds like he gets "grumpy" when around one too often. Stone used the word grumpy which says a lot right there. Even Harry used to do TV and radio both when he was with the Sox. Hawk could use more than one partner.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
This was probably true 20 years ago. Enthusiastic isn't what I'd call Hawk these days. Obnoxious is probably a better adjective.

That's the same thing people say about Dick Vitale. Vitale has done great things for college basketball, but people outgrow him. That doesn't mean he's still not bringing people into the game.

I don't understand how so many Sox fans can hate Hawk Harrelson. He IS the White Sox as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
That's the same thing people say about Dick Vitale. Vitale has done great things for college basketball, but people outgrow him. That doesn't mean he's still not bringing people into the game.

I don't understand how so many Sox fans can hate Hawk Harrelson. He IS the White Sox as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not the "throw my remote" kind of fan. I don't get too up or down based on one play or one game. Hawk doesn't really jive with me. It's compounded by his arrogance, cliches, refusal to adapt, senile, grumpy, rude etc. Driving yet another broadcaster out of town is the last straw for me. It's seriously to the point where I don't think I can listen to him anymore. I don't want to hear about the umps, the dreaded lead off walk, the your what hurts, the Frank Howard's, the stretch on routine flyballs etc. It's just time for a new era. He's getting bad enough that he's going to say something stupid enough to tarnish his legacy or piss the wrong person off. The awful stretch of baseball broke him. He's should remember that he has a job to do. He's lost perspective. White Sox baseball is a lot more to me than Hawk.

It's reminiscent of Billy Packer/Vitale with the NCAA's or Pat Summerall/Ken Venturi with golf.

Eventually, at some point, you need to move on with a younger broadcaster who will attract a different demographic of fans and try something new and fresh.

Let's think of Stone as Jim Nantz or Bryant Gumbel here, for argument's sake.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Hawk should be given a nice severance package, and they should get a new PBP guy in there....and not a former player.

Isn't it possible that Hawk is part of the problem with attendance? He turns so many people off that they have a hard time attracting new fans. And he also is so down when the team loses, it makes the fans they have so negative, they don't want to watch them in person.

I know the attendance issue is very complex, and it's not the main reason why the Sox don't draw. But I don't think Hawk helps the situation...I think he hurts the team in a lot of ways.

That makes no sense. Every marginally interested baseball fan I've ever known loves Hawk. He makes a boring sport interesting. Do you think a casual fan would rather have someone like literally every other broadcast (you never hear a word they say) or someone that actually calls for your attention, as if it was something more than a silly, boring game on TV?

The only people he pushes away are people that are already firmly attached to another team or dislike baseball too much in general.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Hawk attracts more fans if anything.

^^

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)

Vitale isn't a bad comparison. Vitale says blatantly biased things sometimes (odd for national TV, but what the hell) but he's extremely entertaining -- he helps replicate the intensity of the stadium with his own intensity. This is what Hawk does too.

Haven't posted in awhile and felt the need to come out of retirement to say:

Baseball is a big part of my life. I watch a great deal of games all across the league, and I cannot stand Hawk. For all of the previously mentioned reasons in every other previous Hawk thread, ever.

BUT

My three year old son LOVES him.

Well, he doesn't know he loves Hawk, but he sure as hell loves: " (Insert Hawkism here)". In fact I imagine 90% of his takeaway from baseball right now is thanks to Harrelson. And I am grateful. Grateful enough to support putting up with him for another half a dozen years.

I will speculate that Hawk is good for a large percentage of White Sox game TV viewers, many of whom may think they dislike Hawk but wouldn't watch as much without him; and Harreslon is definitely a positive for the very casual fan that management is surely trying to reach.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:25 AM)
Haven't posted in awhile and felt the need to come out of retirement to say:

Baseball is a big part of my life. I watch a great deal of games all across the league, and I cannot stand Hawk. For all of the previously mentioned reasons in every other previous Hawk thread, ever.

BUT

My three year old son LOVES him.

Well, he doesn't know he loves Hawk, but he sure as hell loves: " (Insert Hawkism here)". In fact I imagine 90% of his takeaway from baseball right now is thanks to Harrelson. And I am grateful. Grateful enough to support putting up with him for another half a dozen years.

I will speculate that Hawk is good for a large percentage of White Sox game TV viewers, many of whom may think they dislike Hawk but wouldn't watch as much without him; and Harreslon is definitely a positive for the very casual fan that management is surely trying to reach.

Now that is one helluva post.

I don't get White Sox fans. They just seem to WANT to be bored. First they want Ozzie out, colorful Ozzie. They get their wish with very very dull Robin. Now they want Hawk out. It'd serve you Hawk haters right to get the Royals' Steve Physioc. Mr. Enunciation. AWFUL. What's with this desire for dullishness???? I just don't get it. Keep Hawk. Let Ozzie be his color man 20 games since he's getting the boot in Miami; Big Hurt 20 games; DJ 20 games, Wimpy 20 games, etc.

It's obvious Stoney is gone after that interview.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
Now that is one helluva post.

I don't get White Sox fans. They just seem to WANT to be bored. First they want Ozzie out, colorful Ozzie. They get their wish with very very dull Robin. Now they want Hawk out. It'd serve you Hawk haters right to get the Royals' Steve Physioc. Mr. Enunciation. AWFUL. What's with this desire for dullishness???? I just don't get it. Keep Hawk. Let Ozzie be his color man 20 games since he's getting the boot in Miami; Big Hurt 20 games; DJ 20 games, Wimpy 20 games, etc.

It's obvious Stoney is gone after that interview.

I'm in the middle about Harrelson leaving or staying.

Personally, I like him. For the future of the organization (and for expanding the fanbase again), a new voice has to be groomed, though.

Rotating broadcasters in and out of the booth is complicated, it hurts the chemistry between PBP and color guy, you don't develop a rhythm as much and it's a bit confusing to viewers at home.

When you turn on a Dodgers' game, you know Scully, Cardinals with Jack Buck, Tigers with Harwell, etc. There's something to be said for that. Hawk is that voice, for now. But he's getting more and more polarizing, just like Harry Caray at the end of his broadcasting career, or Ron Santo.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:42 AM)
Rotating broadcasters in and out of the booth is complicated, it hurts the chemistry between PBP and color guy, you don't develop a rhythm as much and it's a bit confusing to viewers at home.

Normally that's true. But Hawk can't work with somebody on a steady basis. He gets threatened. So he has to have revolving color men. Remember how damn happy he was to get Wimpy back? He'd be the same way I bet if DJ came back for a series. Get Hawk the scenario I presented and it'd be awesome. Big Hurt for 20 games?? Wow. Ozzie for 20? Amazing. Wimpy and/or DJ or Huff. Bring it on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:49 PM)
Normally that's true. But Hawk can't work with somebody on a steady basis. He gets threatened. So he has to have revolving color men. Remember how damn happy he was to get Wimpy back? He'd be the same way I bet if DJ came back for a series. Get Hawk the scenario I presented and it'd be awesome. Big Hurt for 20 games?? Wow. Ozzie for 20? Amazing. Wimpy and/or DJ or Huff. Bring it on.

I think he really liked DJ and wanted to continue to work with. I don't know about what happened with Wimpy, but you can tell they love each other nowadays. Stone just happens to be as big of an asshole as Hawk, but he doesn't love the White Sox like Hawk does. Easy to pick who stays.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
I think he really liked DJ and wanted to continue to work with. I don't know about what happened with Wimpy, but you can tell they love each other nowadays. Stone just happens to be as big of an asshole as Hawk, but he doesn't love the White Sox like Hawk does. Easy to pick who stays.

I think it was something not related to baseball.