41 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win the AL MVP?

• Mike Trout
    • Miguel Cabrera

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
And if Cabrera isn't on the Tigers, they probably finish 3rd.

Yes, if the Tigers did not have Cabrera, they would have finished 16 games worse. Absolutely. It's not like they had Verlander, Scherzer, Fielder, & Jackson. The 3rd place team in the Central won 72 freaking games, come on now.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
Wow...Trout with only 6 first place votes. BBWAA is still stuck in 2003.

And somebody put Trout THIRD. Some writers don't deserve the right to vote.

It's like the writers didn't notice that the Angels won more games than the Tigers. Cabrera needs to thank the Sox for collapsing and the Angels bullpen for sucking as bad as it did.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Yes, if the Tigers did not have Cabrera, they would have finished 16 games worse. Absolutely. It's not like they had Verlander, Scherzer, Fielder, & Jackson. This is easily the worst pro-Cabrera argument I have ever seen.

Good job at ignoring the clarification.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Good job at ignoring the clarification.

I saw that after I posted and edited mine.

But it helps prove my point that the s***ty division contributed to Cabrera winning the award as much as anything else. In any other division, the Tigers don't win, and the writers don't give him as much credit.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I still don't understand why that's such a big deal. It was a position he had played before, and it's not like he switched to catcher. If he wasn't capable of playing it, they wouldn't have asked.

I agree. "Hey, do you mind switching back to the position you used to play so we can sign one of the best power hitters in the game?"

Somehow I don't see that as a hard decision for anyone to make.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
I saw that after I posted and edited mine.

But it helps prove my point that the s***ty division contributed to Cabrera winning the award as much as anything else. In any other division, the Tigers don't win, and the writers don't give him as much credit.

Like it or not, propelling your team to the playoffs has always been a key component of the MVP award. It is not the best offensive player, or the highest WAR award. The unmeasurables have always been a large part of the award.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
Like it or not, propelling your team to the playoffs has always been a key component of the MVP award. It is not the best offensive player, or the highest WAR award. The unmeasurables have always been a large part of the award.

I know, and I actually predicted Cabrera would win it. I'm annoyed that it was such a landslide, that so many writers couldn't look at in more detail. The Angels had a better record than Detroit!

Well for a long time a lot of the stuff was unmeasurable (immeasurable?), but now we can quantify it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
I know, and I actually predicted Cabrera would win it. I'm annoyed that it was such a landslide, that so many writers couldn't look at in more detail. The Angels had a better record than Detroit!

I think his performance in September during the stretch run, compared to what Trout did during the same stretch, is what made the difference to me. I felt that he was the reason that the Tigers made it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
I think his performance in September during the stretch run, compared to what Trout did during the same stretch, is what made the difference to me. I felt that he was the reason that the Tigers made it.

The Tigers made it because of their starting pitching. 4 of their 5 starters were lights out for the month of September.

September ERA

Verlander - 1.93

Scherzer - 2.17

Fister - 2.34

Sanchez - 2.43

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
The Tigers made it because of their starting pitching. 4 of their 5 starters were lights out for the month of September.

September ERA

Verlander - 1.93

Scherzer - 2.17

Fister - 2.34

Sanchez - 2.43

Cabrera put up .333/.395/.675/1.071 with 11 homers and 30 RBI during Sept and the couple of days in Oct. His July and August were just as good, if not better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Cabrera put up .333/.395/.675/1.071 with 11 homers and 30 RBI during Sept and the couple of days in Oct. His July and August were just as good, if not better.

If he didn't have one of the best rotations in baseball on his team, those stats wouldn't matter. And they had to pitch around his bad defense at 3rd.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
If he didn't have one of the best rotations in baseball on his team, those stats wouldn't matter. And they had to pitch around his bad defense at 3rd.

Speed and defense is the one thing that made the decision harder. But for comparison sake, here is Trout down the stretch...

.289/.400/.500/.900 5 HR 9 RBI in Sept/Oct. That is 171 OPS points difference during the stretch run.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Speed and defense is the one thing that made the decision harder. But for comparison sake, here is Trout down the stretch...

.289/.400/.500/.900 5 HR 9 RBI in Sept/Oct. That is 171 OPS points difference during the stretch run.

Trout did cool down offensively during the stretch run, but obviously his defense was still there.

Looking at the whole season, Anaheim was 6-14 when they called him up. They went 83-59 the rest of the way.

To me MVP = best player no matter what team they are on or how they finished in the standings.

If Trout was on a last place team and put up the same numbers he would still be the best player in the league.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 16, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
To me MVP = best player no matter what team they are on or how they finished in the standings.

If Trout was on a last place team and put up the same numbers he would still be the best player in the league.

Except where your team finishes has almost always been a factor in the discussion. It is a huge deal when the person isn't on a first place team.