Your 2013 Plan for the White Sox

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I've heard this a few times now, wasn't Danks projected to come back in September at one point?? My memories foggy did something happen during his rehab?

It seems the likely track is to have him ready for ST. But that doesn't mean he'll be back to his normal self by then - just that he can start pitching.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
You know what amuses me? IMO Rios and Dunn are untradeable, but as soon as Rios and Dunn become free agents, somebody will sign them to a similarly ridiculous free agent contract and probably shortly after that team will try to get rid of them. Ditto Peavy. He'll sign some ridiculous deal again and shortly after he'll be on the market. Baseball economics intrigues me.

I figure in a year or two we'll be hearing how Pujols is available and the Angels are desperately trying to dump his contract.

I disagree that both Rios and Dunn are untradable.

I think you could move all of Alex's salary and get one good piece plus. Dunn I think you may be able to move somewhere with the acquiring team absorbing all his salary and sending something meh back. I'd be willing to bet on Rios, but Dunn, maybe that value is lower.

Re: FA, with Rios it's easy to see a team giving him both years and dollars if he keeps it up. Dunn OTOH already hit FA once and had to settle for a 2-year deal at a much younger age. Dunn has red flags everywhere but has made a career producing over them. Top LH power hitters who are OBP machines aren't supposed to settle for the types of deals Dunn has had to settle for at the ages Dunn has signed them. That's kind of why I think we can move him if we want to, because I imagine a team is far more likely to take a shot on 2 years of Dunn rather than 3+.

A team that may take on Rios's salary is Philly. They are pretty much in a win now mode. With their age and payroll, they have to be. Rios would give them a much better chance to win next year than their young OF's. The Phils have somewhat cooled on Dominic Brown. If the Sox could get Brown and another highly regarded prospect(I think they have a nice C prospect), I would seriously look into that trade. The Sox would have a potentially very good young OF in Tank, DeAza, and Brown.

I don't think that would make the Sox better next year but would long term.

I think that Rios was adversely affected by Ozzie in 2011. No proof, just what I think. I was down on both Dunn and Rios in 2011, hated both acquisitions. But Rios has my respect now. He should be solid in RF in 2013. Dunn??? I said earlier that I can't think of any team that would take him. Still can't.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
I think that Rios was adversely affected by Ozzie in 2011. No proof, just what I think. I was down on both Dunn and Rios in 2011, hated both acquisitions. But Rios has my respect now. He should be solid in RF in 2013. Dunn??? I said earlier that I can't think of any team that would take him. Still can't.

Any team with a hole at DH or 1B would want him. The man drove in close to 100 RBIs and was 3rd in HRs. He was an All Star. If he gets traded and the Sox don't get some highly productive LH batter to take his place i'll be highly disappointed. It'd be pre all in all over again where they were a LH DH away from title contention.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Any team with a hole at DH or 1B would want him. The man drove in close to 100 RBIs and was 3rd in HRs. He was an All Star. If he gets traded and the Sox don't get some highly productive LH batter to take his place i'll be highly disappointed. It'd be pre all in all over again where they were a LH DH away from title contention.

Not true at all. There was a pretty limited free agent market for him two years ago. Now he is coming off of one of the worst years in baseball history, followed up by a big power year, where he struck out over 200 plus times, and got injured.. all while still having about $30 million more owed to him.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...rce=twitterfeed

White Sox front office will stay busy this offseason

October 11, 2012, 11:28 am

DAN HAYES

As of Thursday morning, only seven of the 39 players on the White Sox 40-man roster are under contract for the 2013 season.

What that means is general manager Kenny Williams and assistant GM Rick Hahn have a busy offseason ahead. The White Sox have 12 players who either have a club option or are eligible for free agency or arbitration this offseason. Here’s a quick look at the decisions the team has to make over the next seven weeks.

Club options | Amount | Buyout

Jake Peavy | $22 million | $4 million

There’s no chance the Sox pick up Peavy’s option. But they may try to offer him a reduced two-year deal after Peavy showed he is healthy and capable of 200 innings.

Kevin Youkilis | $13 million | $1 million

A thin free agent market will make Youkilis attractive on the market. The White Sox likely won’t pick up the option but could try to re-sign the veteran.

Brett Myers | $10 million | $3 million

While he most likely wouldn’t return to the Sox as an expensive setup man, Williams hinted the veteran could be in the rotation. He is 89-79 in career as a starter.

Gavin Floyd | $9.5 million | none

Had 30 strikeouts in last 29 2/3 innings but overall inconsistency could (63-61, 4.20 ERA with White Sox) mean option isn’t exercised or team could sign and trade.

Free agents | 2012 salary

A.J. Pierzynski | $6 million

Veteran is due a big raise after he slugged a career-high 27 home runs and club may decide younger, cheaper Tyler Flowers is ready to take over. Would be a huge loss.

Francisco Liriano | $5.5 million

Was inconsistent enough after he came over in a July 28 trade from the Minnesota Twins to be removed from rotation twice. Isn’t likely to return.

Jose Lopez | $800,000

Veteran wasn’t used much after he signed a minor-league deal and joined team in September. Likely will be allowed to test free agency.

Dewayne Wise | unknown

Had big contributions off bench and could return as a fourth outfielder if he doesn’t get a better offer elsewhere.

Arbitration eligible | 2012 salary

Gordon Beckham | $520,000

Former first-round draft pick has averaged 144 games over last three seasons and is great with glove; had career-high 16 homers and 60 RBIs despite struggles.

Alejandro De Aza | $495,000

First full season was a success as center fielder and leadoff man finished with a .349 on-base percentage, 81 runs and team-high 26 stolen bases. Defense was good too.

Philip Humber | $530,000

Club may choose to not tender him a contract and make him a free agent. Perfect game pitcher made only two appearances after Sept. 1 and finished with a 6.44 ERA.

Dan Johnson | unknown

Would offer a potentially lethal bat off the bench if Sox choose to keep him around. Reached base in 17 of 31 plate appearances after a September promotion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
He wasn't the same after his rib injury.

He definitely had issues late in the season with the back/ribs, you could see it as he played. Seemed like he finally got a little better near the end, before sitting again.

But overall, his defense in CF seemed pretty decent to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Not true at all. There was a pretty limited free agent market for him two years ago. Now he is coming off of one of the worst years in baseball history, followed up by a big power year, where he struck out over 200 plus times, and got injured.. all while still having about $30 million more owed to him.

How many teams with the money had a hole at 1B/DH? There are a lot of those out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
And yet none really wanted him before the two worst years of his career.

I mean there are a lot of 1B/DHs out there, not there are a lot of teams with those needs.

Looking at 2010 rumors I see the White Sox, Tigers, Rays, Giants, Braves, and Yankees were all interested in him. All playoff, or close to playoff teams.

Like I said, a team with money who has a hole at 1B or DH (maybe even a corner OF spot) would love to have him. Dunn was due for a lot of $$$ so that eliminates a lot of smaller market teams, and a lot of teams have a good 1B and/or DH so that eliminates a lot of teams as well.

Lets make it clear I DON'T wanna trade Dunn unless the Sox replace him with a LH power hitter who can produce like Adam does. But this discussion about no one wanting him i think is a little off IMO.

I can see the Rays (esp if Pena is not resigned), Yankees, and Giants still having interest along with teams like Texas, Baltimore, and maybe even the Astros with their move to the AL who might be interested should the Sox, for whatever reason, decide to trade him.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
I mean there are a lot of 1B/DHs out there, not there are a lot of teams with those needs.

Looking at 2010 rumors I see the White Sox, Tigers, Rays, Giants, Braves, and Yankees were all interested in him. All playoff, or close to playoff teams.

Like I said, a team with money who has a hole at 1B or DH (maybe even a corner OF spot) would love to have him. Dunn was due for a lot of $$$ so that eliminates a lot of smaller market teams, and a lot of teams have a good 1B and/or DH so that eliminates a lot of teams as well.

Lets make it clear I DON'T wanna trade Dunn unless the Sox replace him with a LH power hitter who can produce like Adam does. But this discussion about no one wanting him i think is a little off IMO.

I can see the Rays (esp if Pena is not resigned), Yankees, and Giants still having interest along with teams like Texas, Baltimore, and maybe even the Astros with their move to the AL who might be interested should the Sox, for whatever reason, decide to trade him.

The Yankees have a $200 million contract at 1st, and Arod as a DH in waiting.

The Rays don't have the money for Dunn. Houston isn't going to be adding payroll after the year they just had.

Giants and Orioles could be a maybe.

Texas also isn't looking to add offense, plus they have candidates for 1B in guys like Kinsler and Young.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
The Yankees have a $200 million contract at 1st, and Arod as a DH in waiting.

The Rays don't have the money for Dunn. Houston isn't going to be adding payroll after the year they just had.

Giants and Orioles could be a maybe.

Texas also isn't looking to add offense, plus they have candidates for 1B in guys like Kinsler and Young.

The Yankees are gonna have a hole at 3B so I think they'll still use Arod over there for a few more years.

Texas may lose Hamilton and Napoli, I think they'd be in the market for some offense. Why would they move Kinsler from 2B?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 12, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
The Yankees are gonna have a hole at 3B so I think they'll still use Arod over there for a few more years.

Texas may lose Hamilton and Napoli, I think they'd be in the market for some offense. Why would they move Kinsler from 2B?

Profar might force a move of either him or Andrus to 2nd. Beltre isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (PuertoRicanSoxFan @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
Get Felix Hernandez for Viciedo, Molina and some prospects. Keep Rios, trade Dunn. Sign a SP and a bat. Re-sing AJ. Re-sing Peavy to a friendly contract, if he won't sing it, let him walk and sing another one like Haren. This team could still be competitive withouth spending a lot of money. Go Sox!

Welcome to SoxTalk!

I don't think a package around Viciedo and Molina is going to cut it to get King Felix though. And if you trade Viciedo and Dunn, that's a big power hole to fill.

And I'm not sure about Peavy's singing voice.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Welcome to SoxTalk!

I don't think a package around Viciedo and Molina is going to cut it to get King Felix though. And if you trade Viciedo and Dunn, that's a big power hole to fill.

And I'm not sure about Peavy's singing voice.

Yeah I have to imagine that if Felix got dealt, the package would be huge to get him. I could see Dayan being part of it, but you are probably giving up Sale instead of Molina.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
Yeah I have to imagine that if Felix got dealt, the package would be huge to get him. I could see Dayan being part of it, but you are probably giving up Sale instead of Molina.

Nobody ever lands a proven commodity the quality of Sale in those types of deals. If Felix went, he'd go for multiple stud prospects and we wouldn't have the goods unless we threw in other MLB talent. Viciedo + Reed + Santiago + Flowers is a definite haul, but we don't have that one "can't miss" type position prospect that Seattle is almost certainly going to demand; all we have are interesting high-ceiling types with large to gargantuan holes in their swings, plus a couple interesting types like Sanchez that aren't going to cut it. Felix is just a pipedream IMO.

I see why people here want to contend next year (contending is a lot more fun than losing) but I think we'll be making a major mistake if we don't "finish the job" this season. Crain, Thornton, and Floyd alone could bring us a good deal in return if we do the scouting, i.e. we're going to need to target talented buy low types with those guys, but we have a GM who has done an excellent job of picking those types up in the past. We have lots of money coming off the books with free agency, plus Dunn is at least *maybe* tradable where he definitely wasn't before, and Alex is definitely tradable if your bottom price is the salary relief and a useful part or two. Also we have some very valuable, cost-efficient, team controllable types without huge ceilings that could go in the right deal, i.e. Jones, Reed, DeAza assuming we get a better fit back (as in a CF who wants to play CF for DeAza, etc.).

All in all we have so much flexibility that we can probably make something like 90% of the types of moves you see any organization make over any offseason: we can take on salary dumps; we can add free agents big and small; we can trade the big-name 1 year left guy like Paulie; we can trade proven pitching for prospects and also trade pitching prospects/young MLB pitchers for more proven pitchers; we can give you a closer; we can go after good, MLB-proven position players; we can acquire the buy-low types; we can trade proven skill position players for prospects; etc. etc. etc. We don't even have to resign any of our free agents because we have potential replacements everywhere except at 3B with Youkilis, because even with Peavy we're getting Danks back which could allow the Sox to slide Gavin in behind Sale. We can almost due it all this offseason, to the point where the Sox are going to be listed as "in" on almost every interesting player this offseason, and the only thing we definitely *can't* do is send a bevy of big-time prospects to another organization for a Felix type. But that's it. We just need to finish the job and keep adding the parts because we're getting close to having that core to build the next true (read: not surprising) contender around.