2012-2013 MLB off season tracker thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 10, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
Of course not, that was coming off of TJ surgery. His performance in the years before he was injured scares me. Maybe it's just taking him a little longer to fully recover.

I just can't believe Francona wanted to sign up for that ride again....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian

Vinnie Pestano, on Nick Swisher: "I haven't met him yet, but I HAVE heard him."

Pestano-- mentioned on HIMYM

Swisher-- has been on HIMYM

They have something to talk about.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
4 years, $48 million, with a $12 million option for the 5th year if hits 550 PAs

That's not that bad of a deal.

The Indians' lineup is looking a lot better now with Swish, Bourn, and Reynolds.

Right now it's probably

1. Bourn CF

2. Cabrera SS

3. Kipnis 2B

4. Santana C

5. Swisher RF

6. Reynolds 1B

7. Chisenhall 3B

8. Stubbs LF

9. Brantley DH

They still don't have very good pitching, but that lineup should score some runs.

Edited by chw42

jasoncollette ‏@jasoncollette

#Indians have added 4 bats this off-season: Reynolds, Swisher, Bourn, & Stubbs. The quartet K'd 621 times in 2012

Jordan Bastian ‏@MLBastian

New offensive projections have Indians striking out 1,373 times (ouch!), but stealing 172 bases (!), drawing 617 walks and scoring 789 runs.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
That's not that bad of a deal.

The Indians' lineup is looking a lot better now with Swish, Bourn, and Reynolds.

Right now it's probably

1. Bourn CF

2. Cabrera SS

3. Kipnis 2B

4. Santana C

5. Swisher RF

6. Reynolds 1B

7. Chisenhall 3B

8. Stubbs LF

9. Brantley DH

They still don't have very good pitching, but that lineup should score some runs.

At least the Cleveland is trying to improve.

It seems like every team in the AL Central made improvements except the White Sox.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 05:41 AM)
I forgot the Tribe got Stubbs. Underrated behind those guys in Cincy.

Your avi is distracting as hell. But it's a good distraction :notworthy

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
At least the Cleveland is trying to improve.

It seems like every team in the AL Central made improvements except the White Sox.

Your avi is distracting as hell. But it's a good distraction :notworthy

Cleveland went from a 72 win team to an 82 win team, and in the process spent about $120 million. Just like the Royals, who probably went from a 75 win team to an 82 win team.

The Sox, meanwhile, have kept their resources so they can spend them at a later time. In the meantime, they upgraded the overall production of 3B last year, added a bullpen arm, and made a couple key resignings. They are trying to build a group that will be able to play into the future, and resigning Youkilis was never going to provide that, and resigning a 35 year old Pierzynski was never going to provide that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
Cleveland went from a 72 win team to an 82 win team, and in the process spent about $120 million. Just like the Royals, who probably went from a 75 win team to an 82 win team.

You're right about the White Sox (at least I hope you are), but Cleveland now has an experienced manager who knows how to win, and an excited fanbase that will probably start showing up to the Jake in droves, which will give them more money to spend at the deadline.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
You're right about the White Sox (at least I hope you are), but Cleveland now has an experienced manager who knows how to win, and an excited fanbase that will probably start showing up to the Jake in droves, which will give them more money to spend at the deadline.

The pitching is still incredibly suspect.

I honestly think it's going to be a race for 2nd place anyways, but crazier things have happened. So long as Ventura continues the work he did last year, the Sox are going to be the most fundamentally sound team in the Central once again.

:lol:

That fanbase is so upset with management for years now, I don't think signing Bourn & Swisher is suddenly gonna make them show up to the ballpark.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Sure, when he has one of the best (PED driven) hitters in the past 20 years and another (suspect) great hitter right after him.

Lets be honest here, Francona was handed some pretty high payroll teams with some extremely good players. It wasnt like he had to coach up anyone.

And the Cleveland fans didnt even show up in 07 when they took the Red Sox to 7 games in the ALCS behind CC, Roberto Hernandez and Paul Byrd(plus cliff lee before he became CLIFF LEE). Why would they show up now?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
Sure, when he has one of the best (PED driven) hitters in the past 20 years and another (suspect) great hitter right after him.

Lets be honest here, Francona was handed some pretty high payroll teams with some extremely good players. It wasnt like he had to coach up anyone.

And the Cleveland fans didnt even show up in 07 when they took the Red Sox to 7 games in the ALCS behind CC, Roberto Hernandez and Paul Byrd(plus cliff lee before he became CLIFF LEE). Why would they show up now?

The Tribe fans are the biggest bandwagon fans in baseball.