Hurricane Sandy thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
They have those warnings right now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0,1588490.story

If you live/work in certain areas, LSD is a necessary road sometimes. The real issue is that people should have been let out of work early to avoid it all together.

If there are warnings to stay off LSD, then it's not a necessary road anymore.

That was the mistake people made during the blizzard, and they had what was coming to them.

20 foot waves? I'd be staying off it now too. Common sense.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
Weren't there numerous warnings to not take LSD because of the wind surge coming off the lake? You were obviously smart enough to avoid it because of the conditions. Those people had it coming to them.

I think taking LSD is generally frowned upon, especially when operating a vehicle.

Unless, of course, you are Doc Ellis.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)
For comic relief purposes only

1351469382209803.jpg

Whenever I hear Hurricane Sandy, Sandy Cheeks from Spongebob always pops up in the back of my mind.

I saw one where they said they should rename it Hurricane A-Rod, that way it would be sure to not hit anything... with a pic of his ugly mug on the storm... I LOL'd/.

Wow, some of this stuff is jaw-dropping. Definitely wasn't expecting something of this magnitude.

2n6f12f.jpg

2056p0h.jpg

Seaside Heights was bound to get the wrath of God for a few years now, so at least in this particular instance it isn't as surprising.

2we01p3.jpg

This is the aftermath in Cuba.

Really surprised at the scale of damage. Based on some of the pictures, you would think the loss-of-life would be much worse- luckily it's not.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
It sucks using a natural disaster for political gain but the Democrats are gonna hammer Romney over his ending FEMA stance.

Why should the government keep rescuing people? These people should be able to pull themselves up from their bootstraps. My grandparents never had FEMA and they somehow survived.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Why should the government keep rescuing people? These people should be able to pull themselves up from their bootstraps. My grandparents never had FEMA and they somehow survived.

Why should I be responsible for paying for someone to live on the coast where s*** like this happens every now and again? Why is it so bad that state and local governments should be responsible, for, you know, state and local problems?

Edit: And for the record, since we all love truth in politics, he never said he'd get rid of FEMA, he said he'd shift some of those responsibilities to states or the private sector. I know, I know, what a a horror and all that, but it's not the same as ending the program altogether.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Why should I be responsible for paying for someone to live on the coast where s*** like this happens every now and again? Why is it so bad that state and local governments should be responsible, for, you know, state and local problems?

Emergencies are one of the few things that the govt should absolutely be responsible for. As for state v federal, Im sure some states could manage, I just would prefer that we dont leave certain states behind.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)

Edit: And for the record, since we all love truth in politics, he never said he'd get rid of FEMA, he said he'd shift some of those responsibilities to states or the private sector. I know, I know, what a a horror and all that, but it's not the same as ending the program altogether.

State and local can't borrow money like the Fed can. Do we really want recoveries which should be a year or two to last decades? Having entire parts of the country unproductive due to catastrophe would eventually start to impact the economy and your pocket book.

And beside that, there are few parts of the country immune from catastrophe. New York isn't as an area that commonly gets hugely affected by these things.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)

The same reason people on the coast are responsible when a devastating tornado rips through the midwest--because we're one country.

Mitt advocated block-granting FEMA to the states. This would give each state a fixed budget regardless of their need each year and may leave them unprepared to deal with certain disasters.