Sox looking at low-end starter, trading Floyd

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 11:42 PM)
Heard that a guy the Sox are considering as a Floyd replacement is a certain former 1st rounder that may be non-tendered by a division rival tomorrow...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Tigers announce Daniel Schlereth non-tendered, becomes FA.

Drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 1st round (26th pick) of the 2008 amateur draft.

????

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
????

Yeah, Schlereth is a lefty power reliever. I don't think there's any chance he'll ever be anything like a starter, especially after his injury problems last year.

It's also worth noting that he isn't even arbitration eligible, which makes me think his injury may have finished him -- otherwise non-tendering him would make no sense.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I also would take a look at him. When healthy he's a top 10 starter in the league.

I would be fine with Jair Jurrjens as well. McCarthy is a dream scenario I think though. It is a pipe dream but if the Sox could add a 3B, McCarthy, Mike Adams, and acquire some prospects while dumping the $ owed to Crain, Thornton, and Floyd, I think that is a win.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
I would be fine with Jair Jurrjens as well. McCarthy is a dream scenario I think though. It is a pipe dream but if the Sox could add a 3B, McCarthy, Mike Adams, and acquire some prospects while dumping the $ owed to Crain, Thornton, and Floyd, I think that is a win.

With the payroll situation we have, and the pitching staff we have, I can't see the Sox investing more than minimal amount of money into a starting pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
With the payroll situation we have, and the pitching staff we have, I can't see the Sox investing more than minimal amount of money into a starting pitcher.

SS, I agree with you. The only way it happens is if Floyd, Crain, Thornton or a combination of them gets traded.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)

SS, I agree with you. The only way it happens is if Floyd, Crain, Thornton or a combination of them gets traded.

Even then, the team will look to put the money in at 3B and/or C.

Looking at ESPN insider it looks like some of the guys they may be looking at are

Carlos Villanueva- He'd be my top pick.

Jason Marquis- PLZ God No!

Joe Saunders- Wouldn't be a bad replacement, he'll put up Gavin like numbers.

Kevin Correia- No thank you, he's only been mediocre/garbage in the NL.

Joe Blanton- See above.

If they can get a good piece for Floyd and grab Villanueva or Saunders I'd be game. The others? Yuck.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
Looking at ESPN insider it looks like some of the guys they may be looking at are

Carlos Villanueva- He'd be my top pick.

Jason Marquis- PLZ God No!

Joe Saunders- Wouldn't be a bad replacement, he'll put up Gavin like numbers.

Kevin Correia- No thank you, he's only been mediocre/garbage in the NL.

Joe Blanton- See above.

If they can get a good piece for Floyd and grab Villanueva or Saunders I'd be game. The others? Yuck.

We would be looking at pitchers in the million dollar range. There isn't much out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
We would be looking at pitchers in the million dollar range. There isn't much out there.

I can't see the actual article so I don't know what was said about the guys I posted but I think they'd be in the budget. Villanueva or Saunders would be a good replacement. Looking more into their stats I switch my top pick to Saunders if he fits in the budget.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
I can't see the actual article so I don't know what was said about the guys I posted but I think they'd be in the budget. Villanueva or Saunders would be a good replacement. Looking more into their stats I switch my top pick to Saunders if he fits in the budget.

My guess is they are looking more for guys that were once highly-touted but didn't pan out rather than guys that have just been plain old mediocre for the last several years. I'd rather give the job to one of our young kids rather than a guy like Joe Saunders.

If we find ourselves in another pennant race somehow and we need another arm, that is the time to go get your Joe Saunders' type guy.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
My guess is they are looking more for guys that were once highly-touted but didn't pan out rather than guys that have just been plain old mediocre for the last several years. I'd rather give the job to one of our young kids rather than a guy like Joe Saunders.

If we find ourselves in another pennant race somehow and we need another arm, that is the time to go get your Joe Saunders' type guy.

If he fits in the budget I don't see why not a guy like Saunders. He's put up numbers comparable to Floyd, maybe even slightly better.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
If he fits in the budget I don't see why not a guy like Saunders. He's put up numbers comparable to Floyd, maybe even slightly better.

I'd rather just go with Sale/Peavy/Danks/Santiago/Quintana if we were to trade Floyd.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
I'd rather just go with Sale/Peavy/Danks/Santiago/Quintana if we were to trade Floyd.

My biggest worry with that rotation is the same one as last year...durability. 3 of those guys pitched vastly more innings last year than they did the couple years beforehand, which is always a red flag, one of them was hurt the whole year, and one is almost a rookie.

I like our depth overall, but that's because I think we have more minor league options who could step in. If you think a couple guys could use more time in the minors, then spending a million to have a guy be the long man in the bullpen with experience and ready to step in...that's reasonable.