White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

But seriously, let's buy low on Mat Gamel. There were those rumors about him coming over for a Matt Thornton trade last year or 2 years ago. He is coming off an injury year, a year after he hit .310 with 28 HR, 96 RBI and only 84 K with a .912 OPS in 130 games in AAA. The guy has hella power, hits for average, doesn't strike out a lot for a power guy, and he plays 3B (although, not that well I've heard).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
But seriously, let's buy low on Mat Gamel. There were those rumors about him coming over for a Matt Thornton trade last year or 2 years ago. He is coming off an injury year, a year after he hit .310 with 28 HR, 96 RBI and only 84 K with a .912 OPS in 130 games in AAA. The guy has hella power, hits for average, doesn't strike out a lot for a power guy, and he plays 3B (although, not that well I've heard).

He's stuck out about as frequently as Adam Dunn at the ML level so far.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:00 AM)
He's stuck out about as frequently as Adam Dunn at the ML level so far.

In a sporadic 106 games spread out over 5 seasons. If he ever stays healthy enough to stay in the league, I'd bet he strikes out closer to his minor league numbers than his major league ones.

Bill James has his at .287/.351/.473 with 17 HR, 72 RBI and an 18.8% K% in just 114 games. I'd take that

I'd have a hard time believing the big impact bat we are having to make corresponding moves for is LoMo.

Has to be a reasonably high salary guy with some history of f***ups in his recent past or a big mouth.

Ellsbury comes to mind a bit, but I can't see the Red Sox moving him now that they've got all that cash off their books.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
I'd have a hard time believing the big impact bat we are having to make corresponding moves for is LoMo.

Has to be a reasonably high salary guy with some history of f***ups in his recent past or a big mouth.

Ellsbury comes to mind a bit, but I can't see the Red Sox moving him now that they've got all that cash off their books.

Maybe the Red Sox are in on Swisher to play RF? Victorino could easily play CF if Ellsbury is moved. IDK if the Red Sox would be willing to do that though.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
Bucket, if anyone guessed it, would you tell us? And what's your history with being a source? I don't pay attention enough to what members say what to remember.

I don't mean to come off like a coy jerk, but I really can't just announce exactly what I've been told but I do put it out there. I think most on here want to know if something is going on and the discussions are always quality. I'm not really a source but I know a few people in the extended F.O. and they text me updates every so often. Most of the time they shut me down, LOL.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)
I don't mean to come off like a coy jerk, but I really can't just announce exactly what I've been told but I do put it out there. I think most on here want to know if something is going on and the discussions are always quality. I'm not really a source but I know a few people in the extended F.O. and they text me updates every so often. Most of the time they shut me down, LOL.

Oh ok, cool. I didn't know your connection. How often do those people give you information that actually happens? Have you ever scooped anything here before? I know that K0na guy in Twitter has a history of good info, I'm wondering what your track record has been. Must be really hard to have to bit your tongue around people.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:49 AM)
Oh ok, cool. I didn't know your connection. How often do those people give you information that actually happens? Have you ever scooped anything here before? I know that K0na guy in Twitter has a history of good info, I'm wondering what your track record has been. Must be really hard to have to bit your tongue around people.

The info I get is real. It's almost always advanced discussions but once it gets to a certain stage, I'm out. I've never really scooped a deal, but I've known of a few before they were public. That line is so blurred these days it's crazy. I still think Rock and doc are the best sources around here.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
Morrison's got a good bat. I'm willing to say last year was an anomaly. He didn't get along with Ozzie and got hurt. Plus the team sucked.

I thought he was alright in 2011 with the bat, although I expected better. He did slump towards the end of the year. The thing I'm worried about is his defense. He's an awful defender in the OF. He'll probably get moved to 1B in a few years.

FWIW, Bill James projects a .256/.347/.460 line for Morrison with 23 homers in 628 PA. If he plays at the Cell, I'd expect the power numbers to go up a little.

Guy doesn't get along with Ozzie? no way.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)

He is supposed to be Viciedo Bad at 3B.

QUOTE (Sox1 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
Andre Ethier would be a nice fit for the Sox. Maybe a Rios/prospect for Ethier & money

He's on the trade market even after signing the extension

The money he's getting paid is really bad compared to his production. For a team like the Dodgers, that doesn't matter. For the Sox, that money would be terrible. At least if Rios has a season repeating last year he's worth the money. Ethier has, IIRC, barely if ever been worth the contract the Dodgers gave him.

QUOTE (Sox1 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Andre Ethier would be a nice fit for the Sox. Maybe a Rios/prospect for Ethier & money

He's on the trade market even after signing the extension

Why are the Dodgers interested in trading him? They have already spent do much damn money, why would his contract bother them? Is there someone they have in mind to replace him in the OF?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
I was just about to post that. Their talking Choo for Stubbs and Gregorious. And if Gregorious is part of this deal. Heyman and Morosi are tweeting that its all but certain that Asdrubal Cabrera will be traded. Very interesting.

I feel like the Sox aren't doing anything...

I feel like they have a ton of stuff in place, but it all rests on Josh Hamilton and possibly Michael Bourn's landing spots. The Mariners and Rangers have to do what they're going to do, and then the rest of baseball (Sox included) will begin to shuffle players.

I just wish Hamilton would do something, and get this thing going.

Edited by flavum