Who should the Sox get to replace Myers?

Big Hurt35

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
The latter 2 clauses are pretty much the case with most teams, and it seems like several of our guys went on unhittable rolls at different points in the season last year (Reed, Veal, and Jones immediately come to mind as having them).

I like Reed very much. The rest of our relievers I personally believe are blah. I simply hate Jones' delivery.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
I like Reed very much. The rest of our relievers I personally believe are blah. I simply hate Jones' delivery.

I don't mind funky deliveries as long as the arm holds up. He gets great velocity out of his delivery and batters aren't going to be used to the arm motion. The downside might have been control but the dude got outs with that walk rate, and any slight improvement on that with time will make him even more effective.

The White Sox had a bullpen ERA of 3.75 last year. That includes Phil Humber (14 IP, 13 ER), Zach Stewart (30 IP, 20 ER), Will Ohman (26.2 IP, 19 ER), and Leyson Septimo (14.1 IP, 8 ER). That's 60 ER in 85 IP combined between those 4. That is an ERA of 6.35.

Perhaps more relative is this - that is 4 terrible pitchers, 3 of whom will not throw a pitch for the White Sox this year, who were throwing in primarily mopup situations, that accounted for 18% of the innings thrown by White Sox pitches (1 of 5 IP) but accounted for 31% of the ER allowed (1 of 3 ER).** Meaning the relievers that mattered put up an ERA of 3.17 because they pitched 4 times as often and allowed only 2 times as many runs.

If you want to complain about Reed, by all means, but he's the only one worthy of complaint, and I think he's going to be a lot better next year. You can bring up the lack of depth, and I might agree, but that doesn't mean you need to bring in 2 or 3 relievers...1 or 2 will suffice.

The White Sox bullpen is the least of all my concerns right now.

** - Yes, I'm aware you can do this for virtually all teams - in this instance, it doesn't defeat the point. Mopup innings are for guys who suck because you don't want to waste someone important in an unimportant situation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
Every year people think the Sox will have a good bullpen and it annually sucks. Sox don't have any reliable relievers who get on a roll where they are unhittable. We're dead if our starters come out in the sixth cause that means way too many relievers will pitch that night. If the Sox go with 4 relievers on a given night you can bet one or two of them will suck.

What are you talking about? The Sox bullpen has been a strength most years, for a number of years. 2012 was a down year... with a handful of guys that wite mentioned that won't be around doing much of the damage, and oh-by-the-way throwing 10 rookies out there. Guys like Reed, Jones, Omogrosso, etc. are very likely to improve. Crain is pretty reliable, year in and year out. Veal was a revelation. The only guy who looks likely to return right now is Thornton, who may very well get traded.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)

Reed struggled a lot more than Jones last year, in my view. But they are both young.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
What are you talking about? The Sox bullpen has been a strength most years, for a number of years. 2012 was a down year... with a handful of guys that wite mentioned that won't be around doing much of the damage, and oh-by-the-way throwing 10 rookies out there. Guys like Reed, Jones, Omogrosso, etc. are very likely to improve. Crain is pretty reliable, year in and year out. Veal was a revelation. The only guy who looks likely to return right now is Thornton, who may very well get traded.

Reed struggled a lot more than Jones last year, in my view. But they are both young.

Reed was f'ing terrible last year. I haven't done the exact math, but I'm 99% sure if you take out Reed's numbers, the bullpen had an ERA below 3.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
At least, Kevin Freakin' Correia got $10mil.

Yeah, that is if he only gets one year. There is a chance he could get a two or three year deal. The Sox are already looking to trade one ten million dollar starter. It wouldn't make much sense to bring back another.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
That's what sucks...with the Sox it always boils down to money.

I wish current ownership could find someone like Mark Cuban to buy the team!

Now it's a money thing, because the Sox don't spend money.

(or they just spend money wisely)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
Now it's a money thing, because the Sox don't spend money.

(or they just spend money wisely)

I wouldn't say they spend money wisely. This team hasn't had many bright moments since 2005. Rios, Peavy and Dunn have not been wise expenditures IMO. Not that I care. It's not my money.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 12:39 AM)
If you have those 10 games, or if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to see the games you believe Thornton lost. I was at a game in Minnesota in which Thornton induced a double play with the bases loaded and no outs that one could argue won the Sox the game.

Some of that is from retrying the failing experiment of Thorton as closer.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/phil...mike-adams.html

Phillies close to signing Adams, was hoping we could get him to replace Myers.

Not at $12 million for 2 years.

Adams' numbers dropped quite a bit last year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Dec 15, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Agreed, that price is a little high. Two years seemed reasonable, did not want to get stuck with Linebrink again.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Adams has a very Linebrink like history, except he's been much better.