Sox seeking LH bat

joeynach

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
I have no problem with that...we actually have guys in the minor leagues who might be of the quality they'd shoot for in a deal with Zobrist...I'd think the bigger problem is that the place where we have depth that we could sacrifice 2-3 players is starting pitching, and I don't think the Rays would be interested in adding that kind of depth.

They could actually have a real use for De Aza, if they considered shuttling one of their OF's to their DH slot. Sanchez might tempt them as well also.

The White Sox do not have depth in the rotation. They need to add to the rotation before any kind of subtraction takes place.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
Yes, that's why they've been taking calls on Gavin Floyd for 2-3 years.

Sigh.

It's also why he hasn't you know - been dealt. If the Sox deal a starter it should only happen if they can sign one of the remaining SP's on the market. Just not enough starters innings to let one (much less the two or three you referred to) go if they plan on contending.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Haven't changed my tone at all. I will defend AJ vs. all the haters. I believe he will be missed far more than his numbers would indicate. I understand not paying a 36 year old catcher a ton of money. If it were my decision, I would have brought him back on a one year if he would have taken it. Maybe they have other moves in mind. I do think most of the Tyler Flowers love will be gone this time next year.

You are making up an enemy here to rant against.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
I didn't say that...I said I'd wait and see if/how the $7.5 million is re-allocated. The Sox of 12/27/2012 have some holes to fill; let's see if/how they're filled.

BTW, on ESPN.COM baseball "power rankings", the Sox are currently ranked 23rd in MLB, 1 slot ahead of the Cubzzz. I guess I'm not the only one who hasn't seen much improvement on the South Side this off season.

The ESPN power rankings on December 27? Surely you can't be citing them as being any sort of relevance to reality.

The ESPN power rankings on December 27? Surely you can't be citing them as being any sort of relevance to reality.

I'm "citing" them as an indicator of how some members of the national sports media perceive the Sox and their off season "improvements".

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
I'm "citing" them as an indicator of how some members of the national sports media perceive the Sox and their off season "improvements".

Because, as we've learned over the last 10 years, experts opinions of where teams stand in the offseason is incredibly important and predictive in nature.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)

And at the same time, on the same website, there is an article praising the White Sox subtle offseason improvements and calling them a sleeper team for 2013.

I understand that all of the Sox pitchers have some sort of question mark, but when your starting rotation have career ERA+ of 150, 116, 115, 109, and 100, and your top four releivers have career ERA+ of 182, 136, 128, and 95, you can't reasonably be considered the 27th best team no matter how many holes the lineup has.

As much as I don't like the lineup, I think I'd be tempted to go into spring training keeping the pitching staff as strong as it could possibly be.

If Gavin Floyd is the #3 or #4 starter, depending on John Danks health and production, that's a pretty strong rotation, and given the questions that will remain about Peavy lasting a long season, Sale piling up innings on his arm, Danks coming back from injury, and Quintana possibly turning into a gas can, I think keeping Floyd is pretty important in the middle of that rotation despite him being inconsistent from start to start.

This rotation has the potential to be amongst the best in baseball if health is assumed. Add a guy like Santiago to the mix as an occasional 6th starter which I don't put past the White Sox doing for stretches to keep everyone as fresh as possible and it's a very deep rotation.

Now, saying all that, Floyd is a free agent after the season, and the White Sox will eventually have to give Sale more money. Peavy and Danks are both making big money. They probably do need to balance out the rotation, and Floyd can return a solid prospect in return or be used to strengthen the major league team. It does make sense to move him for something rather than eventually lose him for nothing - this can also be done at the trading deadline, but I think they can get more from him now, considering a team would get him for an entire season at a reasonable cost rather than 8 or 9 late season starts.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but how about Berkman as a LH bat? He might be a bit costly, but he could DH and play 1B with a very slim chance of playing some RF.

It should be interesting to see what he costs. Every year there are a few guys at the end of free agency that for whatever reason slipped into a lower than value contract. Hm.

One would think that for what he costs, he'd be going to a team that can play him DH/1B every day.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but how about Berkman as a LH bat? He might be a bit costly, but he could DH and play 1B with a very slim chance of playing some RF.

Sox have Konerko and Dunn so he'd have to be able to play 100+ games in the outfield for him to be worth acquiring, unless you think Dunn can still play OF.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
It should be interesting to see what he costs. Every year there are a few guys at the end of free agency that for whatever reason slipped into a lower than value contract. Hm.

One would think that for what he costs, he'd be going to a team that can play him DH/1B every day.

There's been talk of the Astros being interested in him again, I believe.

I think if we go out and trade for a left-handed bat, it's got to be a long-term solution.

We literally have nothing in the minors that will be able to help us anytime soon, unless Jared Mitchell cuts his strikeout totals significantly (which is highly unlikely). After that, we're talking about Keon Barnum, who is most likely 4 or 5 years away if he even makes it at all.

We have Konerko and Dunn as 1B/DH right now. If one isn't DH'ing it leaves the spot open for another player to get a day off in the field.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
I think Berkman either goes back to Houston or retires. I would be surprised if he's considering anything else at this point.

Kenny tried to trade for him in 2010 and Berkman said no.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Kenny tried to trade for him in 2010 and Berkman said no.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
He had the Yankees interested then... He probably doesn't have that now.

That's it. He didn't say no, per se, he just said that the Yankees offer a better chance at the postseason. He wasn't wrong either. Had the Yankees not come calling, he would have been a member of the White Sox.

However, I recall reading that he's been doing some coaching for the Rice baseball team. He seems to enjoy it and hadn't decided one way or the other what he was going to do. Considering the coaching narrative of it, I would say it's Houston or bust.