2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 01:31 AM)
Now that Walker is dead, maybe I should watch one of those Fast and Furious movies eventually.

If you want to pay tribute to him, watch "Running Scared" instead. It's great.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
Different directions to go with F&F Franchise...

1) Statham does an about face and becomes good guy/sidekick with Vin Diesel after the retribution killing goes down in Tokyo

2) Ryan Gosling, he was in "Drive" after all...and has that similar blonde/blue-eyed appearance

3) A woman....Lettie or Eva Mendes?

4) Tyrese

5) The Rock becomes the sidekick after their Bromance in the last movie...hard to imagine, since he's a US Marshall still

6) Channing Tatum....can't quite imagine Mark Wahlberg here

7) They do another version of Training Day with a young/unknown/rookie guy paired with the veteran/experienced Diesel

8) Hard to think of an Asian actor now that the main one in the series was just killed in Tokyo Drift (along with his g/f in the plane going down the endless runway scene)...Jet Li doesn't really fit, Jackie Chan's too old...and an Asian female actress just doesn't seem to fit with Diesel unless it was Devon Aoki (Tokyo Drift), which also makes less sense going forward since the theoretical 8th movie will unlikely to be set in Asia again, although you never know, they could do Singapore/Hong Kong/Shanghai.

Ryan Gosling? You can't be serious. There is no way in hell he does a Fast and Furious movie. I mean, come on man.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:45 PM)
Ryan Gosling? You can't be serious. There is no way in hell he does a Fast and Furious movie. I mean, come on man.

You'd have to watch DRIVE first. There was a "Sons of Anarchy-esque" dark tone in that film.

He can actually play against type pretty effectively.

Or even Crazy, Stupid, Love.

And, in terms of appearance, he's probably the closest....that Steve McQueen edge was the direction Paul Walker's career was going to go, according to those who were close to him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:46 PM)
You'd have to watch DRIVE first. There was a "Sons of Anarchy-esque" dark tone in that film.

He can actually play against type pretty effectively.

Or even Crazy, Stupid, Love.

And, in terms of appearance, he's probably the closest....that Steve McQueen edge was the direction Paul Walker's career was going to go, according to those who were close to him.

I've seen Drive. Ryan Gosling is not going to make the 7th or 8th movie of a bad franchise. Gosling isn't broke, right? Maybe he'll do Fast and Furious and then do a couple Final Destinations too. :lol: Maybe they can get Steve McQueen. He's not doing anything and he made Bullit.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
I've seen Drive. Ryan Gosling is not going to make the 7th or 8th movie of a bad franchise. Gosling isn't broke, right? Maybe he'll do Fast and Furious and then do a couple Final Destinations too. :lol: Maybe they can get Steve McQueen. He's not doing anything and he made Bullit.

It isnt a bad franchise, that is a very successful franchise. It may be corny and unbelieveable, but it is a complete cash cow. I doubt Gosling would be interested because he is more of an artsy (read: Nicolas Winding-Refn muse) actor.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
It isnt a bad franchise, that is a very successful franchise. It may be corny and unbelieveable, but it is a complete cash cow. I doubt Gosling would be interested because he is more of an artsy (read: Nicolas Winding-Refn muse) actor.

What does success have to do with quality? Most top grossing movies are bad. Ryan Gosling seems like an actor more concerned with the craft than being rich.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
What does success have to do with quality? Most top grossing movies are bad. Ryan Gosling seems like an actor more concerned with the craft than being rich.

I said that and agreed with that. I think the F&F movies are better than you do though. They are what they are, drag racing tongue firmly in cheek unbelieveable action popcorn movies, but they arent bad

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)

Oh give me a break - the dude was in f***ing Gangster Squad and The Notebook for f***'s sake. He's making plenty of money and has signed up for plenty of paychecks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
I said that and agreed with that. I think the F&F movies are better than you do though. They are what they are, drag racing tongue firmly in cheek unbelieveable action popcorn movies, but they arent bad

In fairness, I've never actually watched one. Do I really need to though?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Oh give me a break - the dude was in f***ing Gangster Squad and The Notebook for f***'s sake. He's making plenty of money and has signed up for plenty of paychecks.

He made The Notebook decade ago and it's not bad. Gangster Squad was made by a solid, up and coming director with a cast of real actors. Don't compare them to the Fast and Furious. It's like comparing Culver's to McDonalds.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
In fairness, I've never actually watched one. Do I really need to though?

If you are into a movie like that, then sure. Kind of silly to call it a bad franchise when you never watched one, though.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 06:53 AM)
If you are into a movie like that, then sure. Kind of silly to call it a bad franchise when you never watched one, though.

I've never seen one of these films but just pulled up 3 random ones on Rotten Tomatoes. 27%, 36% and 36%

So yeah, bad franchise.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
He made The Notebook decade ago and it's not bad. Gangster Squad was made by a solid, up and coming director with a cast of real actors. Don't compare them to the Fast and Furious. It's like comparing Culver's to McDonalds.

The Fast and the Furious is guaranteed a better movie than Gangster Squad. Gangster Squad was complete trash and nothing about Gosling's role was "for art" or whatever. Real actors are in the Fast and Furious movies, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
The Fast and the Furious is guaranteed a better movie than Gangster Squad. Gangster Squad was complete trash and nothing about Gosling's role was "for art" or whatever. Real actors are in the Fast and Furious movies, too.

Gangster Squad was a steal of the plot line from The Untouchables, except it was done like s***.

I like all the F&F movies, if anything they have eye candy and action.

I never said good actors don't make bad movies. It happens all the time. To even suggest Ryan Gosling is a viable replacement to the Fast and Furious franchise is delusional.

Also, equating success and popularity with quality is ridiculous. People like bad s*** ie. Miller Lite, The Phantom Menace, Nikki Minaj, Chicago Cubs, McDonald's, Adam Sandler, Notre Dame football, The Boondock Saints, etc.

It's not like I suggested Zac Efron or Freddie Prinze, Jr., lol.

This whole thread is kind of amusing.

I mean, there's this "I'm above watching F&F movies" based on ratings/reviews, etc.

C'mon, I'm sure that many people who post on this thread and watch movies like THE ARTIST, Winter's Bone, Requiem for a Dream or the majority of Academy Award-nominated movies have also watched some of the F&F movies as well. The bottom line is whether a movie is entertaining or not, yes?

For example, there are many weaknesses in the Gravity film, not only scientifically but dialogue-wise with Sandra Bullock's character, but is it a FUN/ENTERTAINING film to watch that gives some who will never experience the thrill of space a SOMEWHAT similar feeling? Sure. And because of Cameron's blessing and the presence of favorites Clooney and Bullock, it will undoubtedly be one of the Academy Award favorites as well, although that's 80-90% based on CGI/special effects/cinematography.

You don't have to do 3 movies with Soderbergh to have credibility in Hollywood.

Maybe it will be someone totally out of left field, like Mario Lopez or Mark Wahlberg. Who knows? Shia LeBouef, haha.

The last couple of movies in the series have been HUGE HUGE HUGE successes, especially internationally. Just the fact that they're now on the 7th one should tell you something. And probably the best one of all, from a cinematic standpoint, Tokyo Drift, is the one the fewest people have seen, since it was pretty much straight to DVD.

Bringing in Lucas Black to replace Walker might be the most logical move of all, if you look at the series arc.

Just not sure he's a big enough star or name anymore to fill Walker's shoes. And his accent can get a bit wearying.

Edited by caulfield12