2013 TV Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
If you were such a big fan you'd know that was the season 3 finale. Duuuuuuh. Just messing with you.

Lost was definitely that show that showed social media could bring folks together to talk about TV.

I was a huge Lost fan but wouldn't rank it in the top shows ever. Definitely had its niche though.

Yeah I always get that screwed up. ;)

And no, definitely not best of all time. But certainly one of the most entertaining for what it was. Sopranos is the better show overall, but not nearly as entertaining IMO.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly dont think the Lost writers thought past the first season when they wrote it, and each season they went one by one. They just got so caught up in trying to create this elaborate painting that in the end it ended up being a very big mess. There were so many times I was like "damnit im sucked back in" only to watch the next episode and be pissed off and skip watching a few episodes and catchup later.

I love Breaking Bad, top 3 show of all-time IMO, but I'm not sure it's the GOAT. It may feel that way right now, but people need to rewatch other contenders like Sopranos & The Wire before making that claim. I just got through season 3 of Sopranos and it's mind-blowing how good those first three seasons are, probably the best television I've ever seen. Breaking Bad has definitely been more consistent from start to finish, but I'm not sure that outweighs the early greatness of Sopranos. Really tough call which is the better series IMO.

And Lost was incredible for a long period of time. The show ultimately failed because they were unable to answer the vast majority of questions they raised and didn't provide a satisfying conclusion, but it did so many other things right that it was extremely enjoyable up until the end. Having said that, I don't think I'd ever rewatch the series because I truly felt cheated by the writers. There was just no payoff in the end and that was something promised to us.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)
Prison break jumped the shark real early for me.

Sopranos is still numba one for me. #2 is Seinfeld.

Yeah, the last season or two was really farfetched, when they started getting in to that "company" s***. But I've never seen The Wire, The Sopranos, Lost, or a lot of those TV shows that everyone loved. Prison Break was the first show I ever watched week-to-week, and S3 of Breaking Bad was the next show I ever watched week-to-week. Didn't have cable until I was maybe in high school (2005), and have never had DVR or any sort or premium packages.

The thing about Lost was it was 121 episodes long. Breaking bad is in total 62 episodes. Lost was expected to churn out more content and in such the writing really suffered.

Seinfeld for me as Rock put it is right there in the conversation.

Also the Sopranos and Wire were on channels without commercials and allowed more edgy language and explicit opportunities.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
The thing about Lost was it was 121 episodes long. Breaking bad is in total 62 episodes. Lost was expected to churn out more content and in such the writing really suffered.

Seinfeld for me as Rock put it is right there in the conversation.

Also the Sopranos and Wire were on channels without commercials and allowed more edgy language and explicit opportunities.

I put the comedies in a whole different category from these shows.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
Whomever thought that episode of The League was a good idea should be fired.

I agree. That was pathetic. I think I'm about done with The League all together. The first couple seasons were great, but it has really gone down hill. They just keep using the same jokes over and over and the random NFL players showing up is getting ridiculous.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
Whomever thought that episode of The League was a good idea should be fired.

Totally disagree. I thought it was hilarious. Generally though I agree The League has not been as good as it was in the past. It's also kind of weird that Kroll hasn't been in two straight episodes.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
I'd say more like 20%

Yeah I can't think of a ton of major mysteries that they didn't explain by the end of the show.

edit: a good read

http://www.cracked.com/blog/108-answers-to...ered-questions/

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
I agree. That was pathetic. I think I'm about done with The League all together. The first couple seasons were great, but it has really gone down hill. They just keep using the same jokes over and over and the random NFL players showing up is getting ridiculous.

I enjoy The League but I don't take it seriously as a show I make demands about. I just want to enjoy it for 20 minutes east week.

But this week was just lazy to me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
I'd say more like 20%

I still think they tried to make too many episodes of Lost . The good thing about Breaking bad is there was always an end point and better yet the entire story was completed before the series even began shooting.

Lost, lost its way by trying to be quasi-sci-fi and tehn kind of drifted away.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
I still think they tried to make too many episodes of Lost . The good thing about Breaking bad is there was always an end point and better yet the entire story was completed before the series even began shooting.

Lost, lost its way by trying to be quasi-sci-fi and tehn kind of drifted away.

Most series do that. How I Met Your Mother was one of the funniest things ever for about the first 3-4 seasons. Sopranos should have ended after season three. The first two-ish seasons of Lost were amazing. The problem is the object isn't to have the best show, it is to make money.;