Frank and Konerko

Texsox

61 members have voted

1. 1. For a NL (No DH) team, would you rather have Frank or Konerko?

• Thomas
    • Konerko
    • Who Cares? I'd take either one in a heartbeat

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Frank is the only correct answer.

Maybe for the regular season, but definitely not for the playoffs.

As I recall, Frank was a big choker in the postseason. He never did much. In fact, I remember him not even getting a friggin' hit in all 3 games of the 2000 ALDS against the Mariners. Not even one bloop single - NADA. Needless to say, that helped the Mariners with A-Rod, Griffey Jr., and Edgar Martinez sweep the series.

I'll take Konerko for the playoffs, thank you. That grand slam he hit in game 2 of the World Series was arguably the single greatest moment in the entire history of this franchise. Maybe even better than winning game 4 to end the series and jump around on the field as champions.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
At their peaks? Frank Thomas's bat makes up for any defense that Konerko would add. Today, I would have say Konerko.

I agree. A 34-year old Konerko is probably better than a 44-year old Frank Thomas who has been out of baseball for 4 years.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)

As I recall, Frank was a big choker in the postseason. He never did much. In fact, I remember him not even getting a friggin' hit in all 3 games of the 2000 ALDS against the Mariners. Not even one bloop single - NADA. Needless to say, that helped the Mariners with A-Rod, Griffey Jr., and Edgar Martinez sweep the series.

I'll take Konerko for the playoffs, thank you. That grand slam he hit in game 2 of the World Series was arguably the single greatest moment in the entire history of this franchise. Maybe even better than winning game 4 to end the series and jump around on the field as champions.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomafr04.shtml

Frank Thomas had a career .870 OPS in the playoffs, albeit he didn't have many appearances. There's not enough statistics to prove you wrong, but I'll just go ahead and say your remembering one disappointing series does not define a player.

Konerko had a career .854 postseason OPS. Of course, one played in a World Series, which is why you "misremember".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
I agree. A 34-year old Konerko is probably better than a 44-year old Frank Thomas who has been out of baseball for 4 years.

Konerko is 36 and will be 37 on opening day.

Oh God, he's going to suck so much ass this year.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)

Konerko was also hitless in that series.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Oops. Tex meant Konerko hitting 34 homers, not 34 years of age. :lol:

Frank could neither field nor throw Konerko excels at these. Konerko had a slow beginning and learned how to hit. Konerko by an eyelash. If you added Dick Allen I would say dick Allen is who I want at the plate or in the field.

Anybody that is choosing Konerko because of his defense needs to quit listening to Hawk because Konerko is an average at best 1b. He can scoop throws and has a solid glove but no range whatsoever. The difference between Konerko and Franks defense is nowhere near the difference between Frank and Konerkos bat. Franks career OPS+ is 156. Konerko onky had ine season his entire career that high. I love Konerko as much as anybody, but anybody that would take Konerko over Frank is dillusional or has a terrible memory because Frank is one of the top 20 offensive players to ever play. You don't give up that bat no matter how bad the defense is.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

I'm assuming this is in prime, in which case Frank all day, every day, twice on Sundays, and I'm inventing a new day just to take him another day.

Pre-prime....still Frank.

Post prime and it gets interesting.

That being said, on the Sox all time roster...

1B) Paulie

DH) Frank

Edited by Quinarvy

Yeah guys Konerko is not good at defense. Frank was worse, yes, but the bats aren't even on the same planet. Frank had a 76 WAR career, Konerko is currently sitting at 30 WAR despite losing about 3 fewer wins due to defense -- and don't forget how much higher replacement-level offense was in Frank's era, especially at 1B/DH.

Frank did a ton of damage to opposing teams with very little protection in the lineup. Frank was a pretty good athlete too, defensively he was adequate and had better range than Paulie ever has. Frank loss a few steps defensively towards the end of his time here, but was not a black hole at the position by any means. Franks bat is akin to that of Albert Pujols in St Louis, except teams pitched around him much more.

Frank wasn't that bad in the field. He was very good at trapping short throws. He could not throw, but teams rarely took advantage of that, which always surprised me. Does anyone here remember him throwing to third?

Throwing to third is an incredibly important skill that a 1B uses at least once a season.

I love Paul Konerko and what he has done for the White Sox.

However, in the 40+ years I've been following MLB, Frank Thomas would rank in the top 10 offensive players that I have ever seen.

And, he's my all-time favorite player. Frank will be a first ballot HOFer. Paulie is borderline and probably won't make it at all. There's a substantial difference. Paulie's D is a little better.