Engagement Rings

iamshack

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Tux's are cheap. 100-200 bucks at most. A decent suit is gonna run you 2-3 times that easy.

edit: and let her pick what you wear.

This.

Because as much as you think you care about all of this, in comparison to her, you don't care at all.

I don't think I've looked at my wedding pictures, or any pictures of the sort since we got them. She looks at them all the time.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Yeah, I don't think I can bring myself to rent...usually, the groom's tux is actually free if you bring your groomsmen in to get theirs there.

And NOOOO she is not choosing what I wear. I am one dapper S-O-B...if I am paying through the nose for these pictures, I am going to look like one bad mfer!

I bought a suit. A snappy black suit, white shirt and gold tie, with cufflinks that had belonged to my Grandad.

Didn't let her see it 'til the day. I've gotten great wear out of the suit since.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
I bought a suit. A snappy black suit, white shirt and gold tie, with cufflinks that had belonged to my Grandad.

Didn't let her see it 'til the day. I've gotten great wear out of the suit since.

I was thinking I would do the same, JD...two can play at that game, right?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
Shack,

Id likely buy a tux. Just because every once in a while I will get invited to a black tie event.

This is what I did, I had a Tux made since I'll probably actually wear it again. Of course if you do Tuxes for the wedding party your rental is free.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
The suit...what did you guys wear? The rental tux? Buy a tux? Buy a suit? Go with a tie? Bowtie?

I'm thinking I'm going to buy something...just not sure if I want to go with a tux or with a suit. A suit I will actually use again. A tux will sit in my closet and collect dust most likely. So I am leaning towards a suit...

Rental tux. Strongly considered buying a suit but didn't want to make my groomsmen have to. Spent most of our money on the food and drinks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
Rental tux. Strongly considered buying a suit but didn't want to make my groomsmen have to. Spent most of our money on the food and drinks.

Yeah...still trying to figure out what to do with the groomsmen...I really don't even like the idea of them all wearing the same thing...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:11 AM)
Yeah...still trying to figure out what to do with the groomsmen...I really don't even like the idea of them all wearing the same thing...

If it's any help, I had my new suit and I didn't dictate what sort of suit my brother (who was my best man) wore. I got him a tie and, knowing my brother, I'd say there's feck all chance that he actually bought the suit 'specially for the wedding. :lol: So, there was no hassle there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)

No reason they have to, but I would make sure to run that by the future wife too. Good chance she has the whole "matching" thing in her mind.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 06:32 AM)
No reason they have to, but I would make sure to run that by the future wife too. Good chance she has the whole "matching" thing in her mind.

Yeah, we're trying to figure that part out...her bridesmaid's will be wearing black I think...so it would probably be best if my guys wore the same or perhaps grey suits...

So yesterday afternoon I went over to the Tom Ford store...there are only 3 in the country...you guys are getting one in August I guess though....HOLY s***, that was fun! I was basically on a recon mission to see what size I am in his various fits, because I am toying with the notion of getting one of his suits online (where they are offered much cheaper because they are from previous seasons). Anyways, I tried on the midnight blue tuxedo that Daniel Craig wore in Skyfall....oh man was that a beautiful f***ing piece of clothing...it was like putting on a suit of armor...the fit was absolutely incredible.

When the salesman told me the price, I shrugged it off like it was nothing...which was the best part of all :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Talking to the DJ now...he wants to do dueling dj's and video dj...has all these custom lighted setups and what not...seems like it would be pretty rad...

Yeah that would be pretty sweet. You should definitely throw the party that you want.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
lol this is going to cost you $50k+

Hah...actually I feel like I'm negotiating some pretty good deals...I think we can get it done for $20k plus a little out of my own pocket here and there...

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
I was at a wedding where an hour into the reception a bridesmaid announced to her husband that she wanted a divorce. Two hours in she announced she was moving in with a close female friend and they were in love. Three hours in the bride started throwing punches at her for ruining the wedding and taking center stage.

Best damn wedding I have ever been to. :lol:

That.Is.Awesome. Did this really happen?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 01:11 AM)
That might have been my favorite track on Ready to Die. Luckily as a 12 year old I was smart enough to realize it was just entertainment.

Your last sentence made me smile. Awesome line. Great post.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
I've seen 3 of my buddies get married and they all tell me the same about planning. How much of a pain in the ass it is and how their input doesn't matter, yada yada yada.

My dream is to just elope, but don't tell my mom that. She'd disown me if I didn't get married in a church, despite me not going to church for the past 8 years.

Another great post. I have a friend whose mom threatened to skip his wedding because it wasn't a traditional Mass. I think they finally gave into her which is dumb. Even we Cathlics have a shortened version of a wedding which is fine.

I skipped church for about an eight year period as well, but returned as I find community worship inspiring. Like there may actually be hope to our selfish world.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Yup, and even then, you can have great food without blowing ridiculous amounts of money. Banquet hall wedding food hasn't been that great in my experience, anyway.

One of my friends did a similar setup to what we did, a destination wedding with a handful of people and then a big backyard reception. They had a pig roast as they were doing a luau-themed party. Better than $50/plate lemon fish or chicken.

I love food at pig roasts. Damn it's good. The bbq platter you described for $25 a plate sounds delicious.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
The tuxes were rent 5 get the sixth one free. Between myself, the groomsmen(7), the dads(2), and the ushers(2) I actually had enough to get 2 free tuxes.

Seven groomsman and two ushers? Lot of relatives or did you have a lot of frat friends to go with a couple childhood friends?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
I cringe at stuff like that because you know half the audience is thinkng"wtf is she doing?"

If someone puts on something that clever, I think even the biggest rap hater can appreciate it, because that was hilarious.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
Seven groomsman and two ushers? Lot of relatives or did you have a lot of frat friends to go with a couple childhood friends?

I'm not sure how we ended up with that many. Honestly I probably could've gotten away with just 3, but I think my wife added more and I had to come up with guys to pair them with.

They were all either family or people we'd been friends with for a long time. On my side I had my best man/friend, brother-in-law, uncle, foster brother, good friend, cousin, and a little boy that my wife had known since he was born. His mom and sister were bridesmaids. He was about 6 or 7 at the time and we paired him with our daughter who had just turned 3.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Hah...actually I feel like I'm negotiating some pretty good deals...I think we can get it done for $20k plus a little out of my own pocket here and there...

How many guests?

We called in every favor we had, stripped it way down and even knew the country club owner and got the food at cost and the liquor for free and still broke 20k.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
How many guests?

We called in every favor we had, stripped it way down and even knew the country club owner and got the food at cost and the liquor for free and still broke 20k.

135ish...

The food is going to be $4500ish...the booze probably $2200 or so...that is two bartenders and premium booze with all the supplies and what not...photographer I went nuts on and spent $6k, with $3k coming out of my own pocket. DJ wants $2k for two djs, 4 turntables, custom dj booths, video screens with music videos, etc...

s***, you want to come? ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
135ish...

The food is going to be $4500ish...the booze probably $2200 or so...that is two bartenders and premium booze with all the supplies and what not...photographer I went nuts on and spent $6k, with $3k coming out of my own pocket. DJ wants $2k for two djs, 4 turntables, custom dj booths, video screens with music videos, etc...

s***, you want to come? ;)

I'm in

What about flowers, chairs, chair covers, tables, lighting, transportation to and from, center pieces. There is so much s*** I never even knew existed.

Make sure you know all the details. We had 300 people about so you can see how much discount we got and how much stuff we cut out.