2013-2014 NFL Thread

I hate to get into the Wilson argument again but whether you just look at the stats or watch him play he measures up fantastic against all the "younger" qb's in the league. The only knock on the guy is that he's short, he does everything well though.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
I agree. I don't see the excitement around that guy. He can scramble and makes some plays here and there, but he misses a lot of throws. Seattle is good because that defense is great and they have a great running back.

Then again when he isn't playing the Packers, Kaepernick also looks average most of the time.

I agree with you on Kap, when you look at the numbers removing the GB games, they are average. But what I've seen in him is a steady progression of improvement. He was never a pocket passer and has been asked to learn it begining this year. Each game he continues to get better and reading progressions, making good decisions. On top of that, he seems to have an ability to come from behind (clutch gene) and he is racking up some very impressive playoff wins, especially on the road. He took a lot of heat early in the season, deservedly so after all his off season self promoting, but I give the guy credit for seemingly climbing past that throughout the year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
I hate to get into the Wilson argument again but whether you just look at the stats or watch him play he measures up fantastic against all the "younger" qb's in the league. The only knock on the guy is that he's short, he does everything well though.

That measurable gap on stats is closing, fast. You can't tell me watching him play vs. Kap play the two months, he measures up fantastic, or even at all. Let's have this conversation in 12 months and see where those stats are then. Russell Wilson does not take his team up to GB in that weather and win a playoff game, let alone two straight road playoff games.

Besides for tallness Wilson is statistically better than Kaep.

Player A 16 243 416 58.4 3,197 7.69 21 64 8 3 68.6 91.6

Player B 16 257 407 63.1 3,357 8.25 26 80 9 8 58.9 101.2

Rushing

Player A 16 92 524 5.7 28 4 28 3 1

Player B 16 96 539 5.6 27 1 31 2 0

Not really worth debating though because I guess Drew Brees isnt as good as Michael Vick because Michael Vick is tall and just wait until the future when he gets his s*** together.

LOL

(edit)

Not to mention Wilson has been in the NFL a year less, so I have no reason to believe that Kaep will improve when Wilson wont.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
Meh. Carroll, Belichick and Harbaugh are all equally "the worst" to me.

Carroll cheated in college then bolted to the NFL to escape punishment. And now he coaches a team full of roided up cheaters. He's worse than the other guys IMO.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Besides for tallness Wilson is statistically better than Kaep.

Player A 16 243 416 58.4 3,197 7.69 21 64 8 3 68.6 91.6

Player B 16 257 407 63.1 3,357 8.25 26 80 9 8 58.9 101.2

Rushing

Player A 16 92 524 5.7 28 4 28 3 1

Player B 16 96 539 5.6 27 1 31 2 0

Not really worth debating though because I guess Drew Brees isnt as good as Michael Vick because Michael Vick is tall and just wait until the future when he gets his s*** together.

LOL

(edit)

Not to mention Wilson has been in the NFL a year less, so I have no reason to believe that Kaep will improve when Wilson wont.

I'll repeat on the stats, talk to me in 12 months. There is not much of a gap there at all currently. Kap has been in the league 1 year longer, however has 9 less regular season starts. If you look at the 2nd half of this season, one player has improved and one has regressed, there is your reason.

Edited by HeGone33

I'll repeat on the stats, talk to me in 12 months. There is not much of a gap there at all currently. Kap has been in the league 1 year longer, however has 6 less regular season starts. If you look at the 2nd half of this season, one player has improved and one has regressed, there is your reason.

So, in other words, ignore the small sample size and focus on the even smaller sample size.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
So, in other words, ignore the small sample size and focus on the even smaller sample size.

Or talk to me in 12 months, with the larger sample size, like I said. If you want to talk trends, take a look at the small sample size.

I think we will see how good Wilson and Kaep will be in the next few years when their teams don't have as good of defenses. Both those teams are going to start losing players on defense in the next two years and neither team is drafting in the top 10 anymore to get those kind of players. Also both QB's will be getting huge contracts themselves, taking money away from the other side of the ball.

Can they be this good when maybe their defenses are just good and not great.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
I'll repeat on the stats, talk to me in 12 months. There is not much of a gap there at all currently. Kap has been in the league 1 year longer, however has 6 less regular season starts. If you look at the 2nd half of this season, one player has improved and one has regressed, there is your reason.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
*gets popcorn ready*

Sure Ill get back to you in 12 months, or 120 months. Doesnt really matter. You are merely guessing that Kap will be better.

The facts are that over the last 2 years Wilson has been better, he has been in the NFL less years, hes younger and was playing baseball less than 3 years ago.

Not to mention that Kaep regressed from last year where as Wilson improved.

Those are just the stats, I dont have a time machine to look into the future. But you just cant look at Wilson and Kaepernick objectively based on what theyve done the last 2 years and be confident that Kaepernick will be better.

He may be, but Wilson is younger and better, so it just seems like you are regressing to the "Well hes not tall so he cant be good", when anyone whos watched Wilson knows that he has something special that doesnt always appear in measurables like height.

Wilson has helped keep his team in every game he's played in. Not a single loss of double digits in any game in two years. Kapernick and his team have been blown out a handful of times. He's especially looked like a deer in headlights whenever he's played in Seattle.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
I think we will see how good Wilson and Kaep will be in the next few years when their teams don't have as good of defenses. Both those teams are going to start losing players on defense in the next two years and neither team is drafting in the top 10 anymore to get those kind of players. Also both QB's will be getting huge contracts themselves, taking money away from the other side of the ball.

Can they be this good when maybe their defenses are just good and not great.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Luck is better than either of them.

I agree. If it was purely passing I dont think anyone can say that theyd take Wilson/Kaep over Luck.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Luck is better than either of them.

Possibly. Honestly, I think all 3 of them are pretty damn good. I jumped into this because Wilson was being called "overrated." I'm not sure how people watch this guy play, look at his numbers and come to that conclusion.

And sure, I'll revisit this in 12 months, Wilson is a damn good qb, this I know.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
I'll repeat on the stats, talk to me in 12 months. There is not much of a gap there at all currently. Kap has been in the league 1 year longer, however has 9 less regular season starts. If you look at the 2nd half of this season, one player has improved and one has regressed, there is your reason.

Kap had a horrible start to the season. It's a shame Wilson was consistent and couldn't have had improvement via sucking.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Wilson has helped keep his team in every game he's played in. Not a single loss of double digits in any game in two years. Kapernick and his team have been blown out a handful of times. He's especially looked like a deer in headlights whenever he's played in Seattle.

That has more to do with the Seattle defense.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
That measurable gap on stats is closing, fast. You can't tell me watching him play vs. Kap play the two months, he measures up fantastic, or even at all. Let's have this conversation in 12 months and see where those stats are then. Russell Wilson does not take his team up to GB in that weather and win a playoff game, let alone two straight road playoff games.

Where are you getting this garbage.