2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
Well his personality didn't seem like an issue is NY... It had something to do with Ozzie, but I'm willing to bet it also had something to do with guys like Konerko/AJ/Dye running the clubhouse in a more quiet, buttoned up way and Swish didn't mesh with that.

I'm a firm believer in having some personality in the clubhouse to keep it loose. I don't think Paulie et al agree with that.

I was not in the clubhouse (not that anyone here was) so I can't say definitively but I don't think it was the fact that Swisher has "personality" that was the problem. The clubhouse seems to have plenty of "personality " now with guys like Peavy, Beckham, Thornton and I'm sure several others who we haven't even heard about their stories. I don't think that Konerko, Dye, A.J. etc, were against having fun and playing practical jokes on teamates, I think that Swisher must have taken the fun in a direction that no one else cared for. I'm thinking along the lines that maybe Swisher made it a little "nastier" or "dirty' (like the blow up doll) that his teamates didn't care for it. Just a hunch.

It's not that it was a locker room full of saints, Lord knows Ozzie wasn't, but some people just rub others the wrong way. New York has so many other distractions that it may have been a little easier for Swisher to "fit in". Who knows, the leadership in the Yankee clubhouse (Jeter?) may like Swishers "personality".

Of course the fact that Swisher wasn't performing well and pouted when asked to sit didn't help the situation either.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I was not in the clubhouse (not that anyone here was) so I can't say definitively but I don't think it was the fact that Swisher has "personality" that was the problem. The clubhouse seems to have plenty of "personality " now with guys like Peavy, Beckham, Thornton and I'm sure several others who we haven't even heard about their stories. I don't think that Konerko, Dye, A.J. etc, were against having fun and playing practical jokes on teamates, I think that Swisher must have taken the fun in a direction that no one else cared for. I'm thinking along the lines that maybe Swisher made it a little "nastier" or "dirty' (like the blow up doll) that his teamates didn't care for it. Just a hunch.

It's all loose conjecture anyways, but this seems most logical.

I forgot that team had Toby Hall on that team. God those shaving cream pies got old.

Personalities are great, and fun for the fans, but I remember that Swisher sometimes made me cringe, as a fan.

The blow up doll, the shaving cream pies, Captain Morgan poses with Cabrera, the elaborate High Fives, the looking up in the sky for "Granny,"

and that whole "Mr. Cool" personna, he always seemed to be portraying, was just a bit too much. I can imagine how it would have

been even worse in the clubhouse. We probably never saw half of it. Everyone has their own perception of such things, but

for me personally, he was too much, and impressed me as being "Bush League".

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
This. I think Crede was on track to become one of the premier 3b's in the league. We would have lost him of course, given that Boras was his agent. But he was definitely on track to stardom, imo.

2005 post season (arguably ALCS and WS individually) MVP ... Wonder if he has any plans to coach one day?

“@CST_soxvan: Thornton threw 40 BP pitches, all good.”

“@scottmerkin: Alexei Ramirez returned home to Florida for family reasons. He's expected back this weekend”

“@scottmerkin: Jordan Danks feeling much better compared to even Tuesday. He threw from 45 feet. Thinks he can return by this weekend.”

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
2005 post season (arguably ALCS and WS individually) MVP ... Wonder if he has any plans to coach one day?

Ehh, I don't dispute Crede as the playoff MVP, but there was virtually no one who didn't contribute during the playoffs that year. It was an incredible team effort.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
Ehh, I don't dispute Crede as the playoff MVP, but there was virtually no one who didn't contribute during the playoffs that year. It was an incredible team effort.

You win or lose as a team for sure and sometimes one of the team helps a bit more but over a season it's an entire team effort

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 06:42 PM)
“@CST_soxvan: Keppinger said his shoulder is getting stronger and that he'll play 3B in 2 days. DH today.”

Obviously I'm jumping to conclusions saying this is lingering, but its really a good time for Gillespie to shine and he's doing pretty good for himself so far...

Trade could wind up being a bigger deal for the 2013 Sox than originally thought.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 11:45 PM)
Obviously I'm jumping to conclusions saying this is lingering, but its really a good time for Gillespie to shine and he's doing pretty good for himself so far...

Trade could wind up being a bigger deal for the 2013 Sox than originally thought.

He's doing this off guys that'll be bagging groceries in a few weeks.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 04:09 AM)
He's doing this off guys that'll be bagging groceries in a few weeks.

True. His swing is kinda pretty, though. That is my assessment after seeing two ABs.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 11:45 PM)

I agree. With Keppinger's ability to play 2B, we should be able to insert Gillespie's left-handed bat into the lineup several times a week. Given the absolute crap we had on our bench last year, I'm pretty excited about that proposition.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 28, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)

Damaso Marte set up my favorite playoff moment.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Is Dewayne Wise better than Jordan Danks? Does he deserve the spot over Danks?

I think he has a better feel for the major league level and working off the bench. He's got enough pop in the bat that he can be a valuable guy to have on the team. Unless Wise shows to be truly incompetent for whatever reason, he's a better option than Danks.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Is Dewayne Wise better than Jordan Danks? Does he deserve the spot over Danks?

I don't think so, but most posters on here would say Wise > Danks