2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Crain said today continues to feel better. But after throwing on the side, he was not ready to pitch in the Minor League game

As we get closer to opening day, the more and more I feel like he is starting the season on the D.L. Makes that Lindstrom signing all that more important, but not having Crain does weaken the Sox bullpen.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
No that's Keppinger's to lose but he certainly is ranked among the favorites to make the team otherwise we lose him.

I'd have no problems with them hitting themselves into a platoon. If Gillaspie is good enough to play on 1/2 of the games or more, then Keppinger and Sanchez both can be used to back up the other IF positions.

For whatever reason I've gone into this season thinking this is Beckham's last year to prove he isn't a bust. Well what if the rope is way shorter. Does anybody think Hahn n Company will yank him after another two horrible months? Maybe Keppinger is really here as Beckham insurance.

If Beckham is sucking, does he get the whole year to suck? How long is 1st round top 10 rope?

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 03:19 AM)
Off the subject...I apologize, but this is the "catch all" thread!

I am entering Texas at 3:18 AM on the way to Arizona to catch some ST games!

Best time of the year.

End of spring training/Opening Day...hope springs eternal for all 30 baseball teams.

Augusta/Master's/Amen Corner.

NCAA Basketball Tournament/One Shining Moment.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 04:19 AM)
Off the subject...I apologize, but this is the "catch all" thread!

I am entering Texas at 3:18 AM on the way to Arizona to catch some ST games!

Let us know how some of the kids look in those games. (I'm assuming you're going to be watching the minor league games). Those games don't get a lot of coverage

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 07:36 AM)
Let us know how some of the kids look in those games. (I'm assuming you're going to be watching the minor league games). Those games don't get a lot of coverage

Yeah, I'd love to hear bits about some of the not top 25 kids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
Yeah, I'd love to hear bits about some of the not top 25 kids.

Minor League Games? Do they play games too?

Lol! Yes, I probably will spend some time watching the minor league fields! I will be happy to report the positive aspects of what I see!

Just outside San Antonio now... Left Florida at 2:30 yesterday, and have not stopped yet, other than for gas!

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)

Lol! Yes, I probably will spend some time watching the minor league fields! I will be happy to report the positive aspects of what I see!

Just outside San Antonio now... Left Florida at 2:30 yesterday, and have not stopped yet, other than for gas!

I love road trips, especially when they lead to spring training. Have a blast!

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)

What ever you can give us from the minor league camps would be awesome.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 11:32 PM)
For whatever reason I've gone into this season thinking this is Beckham's last year to prove he isn't a bust. Well what if the rope is way shorter. Does anybody think Hahn n Company will yank him after another two horrible months? Maybe Keppinger is really here as Beckham insurance.

If Beckham is sucking, does he get the whole year to suck? How long is 1st round top 10 rope?

If there appears to be a replacement, I'd say he'd be a cooked goose mid-season. If he plays like last year, he's safe though. Probably still would get non-tendered after the year. Remember that he wasn't "horrible" last year so he'd almost certainly need to regress this year to get displaced before the end of the season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
If there appears to be a replacement, I'd say he'd be a cooked goose mid-season. If he plays like last year, he's safe though. Probably still would get non-tendered after the year. Remember that he wasn't "horrible" last year so he'd almost certainly need to regress this year to get displaced before the end of the season.

Really his defense with this pitching staff is a big key to keeping him here.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

It might depend on other teams as well. If the Sox fall out of the race for whatever reason, and a team decides they'd be willing to pay $1 million of Beckham's salary and give up a little something to fill in for an injury, I could see them doing it.

But I can't see them dumping Beckham for a rookie mid-season if the Sox stay in contention.

He is definitely a non-tender candidate at the end of the year, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

flowers out again today w lower back stiffness. "we should be back shortly."

Can we get Carlton Fisk as a back up just in case? I hope this back stuff isn't a year long issue