2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)
It's amazing to me that robin or anyone else thinks Dunn should be hitting 3rd on this team.He looks lost in the cage, much less games

I think it's one of those things where if this team is to reach its maximum potential Dunn has to produce from the three spot.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:08 PM)
I think it's one of those things where if this team is to reach its maximum potential Dunn has to produce from the three spot.

Yes, this is true. If he can produce 80% of his prime, he's the three hitter. If he's washed up, bury him at the bottom.

I think the Only reason Dunn has been batting third is cause Rios is away at the WBC. Once he comes back he should be in the three hole from now on. (At least I hope Robin is smart enough.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
Yes, this is true. If he can produce 80% of his prime, he's the three hitter. If he's washed up, bury him at the bottom.

He averaged a 908 OPS for the six years preceding his turn with the Sox.

Then 592 and 801 with us.

80% of 908 is a 726 OPS. Not even at 90% of his prime can he be the #3 hitter because that's essentially what he was last year, roughly.

Keppinger and Flowers are back in the lineup today.

Sox leave Arizona 10 days from tonight. We're getting close.

edit: I guess Flowers is going to hold off until Tuesday. Off day Monday.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 01:02 AM)
He averaged a 908 OPS for the six years preceding his turn with the Sox.

Then 592 and 801 with us.

80% of 908 is a 726 OPS. Not even at 90% of his prime can he be the #3 hitter because that's essentially what he was last year, roughly.

I'm guessing he didn't mean literally 80%...

Just for the hell of it, I checked the attendance of all the games played in Arizona yesterday--beautiful Saturday afternoon, deeper into spring training now...

Rockies- 12,427

Giants- 11,738

Indians- 11,023

Rangers- 10,199

Cubs- 9,918

A's- 8,739

Padres- 8,526

Brewers- 6,083

White Sox- 5,547

I can see proximity being a factor for the Sox fan base making their way out to Arizona, but I feel like the Sox fan base is just eroding with time. It's a football city, and hardly anyone is going to use their "fun money" to go to Phoenix for exhibition baseball. And our Chicagoland retirees are more likely in Florida than Arizona--at least I think so.

I've been out there once and drove down to Tucson when they trained there. It's a good time, but I guess it's a tough sell to get Sox fans out there for ST.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
Just for the hell of it, I checked the attendance of all the games played in Arizona yesterday--beautiful Saturday afternoon, deeper into spring training now...

Rockies- 12,427

Giants- 11,738

Indians- 11,023

Rangers- 10,199

Cubs- 9,918

A's- 8,739

Padres- 8,526

Brewers- 6,083

White Sox- 5,547

I can see proximity being a factor for the Sox fan base making their way out to Arizona, but I feel like the Sox fan base is just eroding with time. It's a football city, and hardly anyone is going to use their "fun money" to go to Phoenix for exhibition baseball. And our Chicagoland retirees are more likely in Florida than Arizona--at least I think so.

I've been out there once and drove down to Tucson when they trained there. It's a good time, but I guess it's a tough sell to get Sox fans out there for ST.

I think it's eroding with mediocrity. Aside from Sale and Viciedo, there's very little upside on this roster.