2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
I have a hard time understanding why the Sox would trade for a guy who is out of options, requiring them to remove a guy from the 40-man roster who was not out of options, if they weren't pretty certain he was going to make the team.

Plus this seems like a specialty product of the White Sox. They love to get the buy low guys and set them loose. Unless he fails miserably in spring training, he will break camp with the team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
Rienzo didn't look bad against Cuban though he got the lose. Gave up only one hit through 4+ innings but 4 walks and 1 K. He looked kind of mouthy with the home plate ump too.

His demeanor reminded me of Matt Garza. He held a very good team to only one hit, and that was on a hit and run. With that said, his control wasn't very good and his fastball was around 90 mph

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
His demeanor reminded me of Matt Garza. He held a very good team to only one hit, and that was on a hit and run. With that said, his control wasn't very good and his fastball was around 90 mph

How accurate are WBC radar guns (in international stadiums, right?)

I'd say he was low 90's when I saw him in person last year. The stadium gun showed him topping out at 90-91, but that stadium's gun has been about 2 mph slower than MLB level guns in the past. Castro clearly threw harder than him, but not hugely.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
How accurate are WBC radar guns (in international stadiums, right?)

I'd say he was low 90's when I saw him in person last year. The stadium gun showed him topping out at 90-91, but that stadium's gun has been about 2 mph slower than MLB level guns in the past. Castro clearly threw harder than him, but not hugely.

Hard to tell, as they definitely weren't "fast" guns. Cuba took a ton of pitches against him, as he was effectively wild and got a ton of called strikes.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
At least it isn't a shoulder problem.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

This could be almost as bad as far as how long it takes to return to throwing. The "groin" strains can last a while for pitchers as they really need to abduct the hip when they step toward the plate during the pitch. The muscle is really thick (insert joke here) which means it can bleed alot and take a while to heal.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I think Morel gets traded in the next 26 days.

I'd like to see the Sox send Morel to Miami for Chris Coghlan. It would be a change of scenery for both players.

Coghlan could be this year's Lillibridge on the bench, playing infield and outfield. Plus he's left-handed.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I think Morel gets traded in the next 26 days.

Morel is certainly playing like the writing is on the wall.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
This could be almost as bad as far as how long it takes to return to throwing. The "groin" strains can last a while for pitchers as they really need to abduct the hip when they step toward the plate during the pitch. The muscle is really thick (insert joke here) which means it can bleed alot and take a while to heal.

And it hurts like a b**** to get soft tissue work done on the adductor...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 02:06 AM)
Small sample, but nice.

If we get a turnaround out of one of Castro or Molina, that would be a huge shot in the arm for the system. It might give us the rotation depth to look at a higher level 3B for the future.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
6 cuts today:

Wilkins, K. Smith, M. Blanke, Saladino, Petricka, Leesman.

Saladino is probably the biggest surprise for how quickly he got sent out. Bell did mention him as someone to keep an eye on for a bounceback year.