Jordan Danks called up

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
Jordan deserves to be an MLB ballplayer IMHO. This is a case of 1. not needing 13 pitchers and 2. trying to get the best 25 we have on the roster, regardless of matchups, etc.

Except last year, the real strength of the team wasn't our bench, it was the depth of the young bullpen.

Guys like Omogrosso, Heath, Marinez, Septimo, etc.

I just don't understand why we need Wise if Danks is on the roster. Danks has some upside at the plate Wise doesn't and his D is comparable if not a little better at this point. Yes, having another lefty bat off the bench is nice, but I'd even prefer having an extra backup in the infield (Morel?) over Wise.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Except last year, the real strength of the team wasn't our bench, it was the depth of the young bullpen.

I dont think any of these guys were strengths or even depth last year. Septimo never recovered from that bomb he gave up in Boston, Heath barely pitched, Omogrosso was meh, I dont even remember Marinez pitching.

Santiago, Jones, Reed, Veal at the end, Axelrod here and there. That was the depth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
For a guy who is older than Gordon Beckham and has a career .560 OPS, Jordan Danks gets an extreme amount of love around here. How does one conclude he is better than Wise?

What are you afraid of finding out?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

Eh, I think the depth is fine with 12 guys. If someone goes down, sure our depth continues to help. Of that bunch, Omogrosso is far and away the best and I think he'll probably eventually work into a fairly important role with us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
67 ABs.

Yeah. He's talented, has nothing left to prove at AAA, and really isn't being asked much up here. I'm not happy for him to be here because he's going to be our new All-Star OF, I'm happy because he ought to be a fine backup player. I also think there is some chance he could be a productive ~.700-.750 OPS player with extended time, with decent to good defense in all positions. Finally, this gives us more flexibility to have pinch runners, etc when we are making substitutions late in games (see, defense for Dayan)

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
I just don't understand why we need Wise if Danks is on the roster. Danks has some upside at the plate Wise doesn't and his D is comparable if not a little better at this point. Yes, having another lefty bat off the bench is nice, but I'd even prefer having an extra backup in the infield (Morel?) over Wise.

I agree. This is likely Danks last try out with the Sox if he succeeds Wise goes.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
Bad analogy as the worst starting outfielder on the Sox is nowhere near as good a player as Jay Cutler.

Sorry, it's a Chicago board, I thought the most recent backup that people called for would be appropriate. Let's just call it a more general "backup quarterback syndrome." Ultimately, there's going to be virutally zero effect felt by this move, even if Danks ends up getting a game winning hit or something OR if he sucks and completely falls on his face.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
What are you afraid of finding out?

I already know. There isn't a long list of guys Jordan Danks' age with less than 100 career AB that has turned into anything but a back up. He'll be a good pinch runner, but if he's taking ABs away from anyone, the Sox, even with the way they have been hitting, will be weakened. I just don't understand that on a board where one or two bad games is a sign of how the every other game will go, how this guy is so popular.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
I already know. There isn't a long list of guys Jordan Danks' age with less than 100 career AB that has turned into anything but a back up. He'll be a good pinch runner, but if he's taking ABs away from anyone, the Sox, even with the way they have been hitting, will be weakened. I just don't understand that on a board where one or two bad games is a sign of how the every other game will go, how this guy is so popular.

Your mantra last year was why change anything they're in first place. That didn't work out too well.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
Your mantra last year was why change anything they're in first place. That didn't work out too well.

I don't have a problem with change if it's improving the team. I think Danks isn't very good, but I won't get bent out of shape over it. I'm just amazed by his popularity.

Edited by Dick Allen