Mitchell down to Birmingham

NorthSideSox72

Yeah, the release thing seems like a stupid offhand comment to me. Scouts do exaggerate occasionally, either way.

But I honestly couldn't figure out where all the big Mitchell talk was coming from, and was 50/50 if he really had made some sort of offseason changes, or they were just talking him up. Seems it was the latter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Discuss.

Also, apparently a scout told Keith Law (who was at the Charlotte game) that Mitchell was a "release candidate". Seems stupid to me to go THAT far, but, there it is.

Last Sox first round pick not to appear in a game for the team I believe was Royce Ring, no? Jason Stumm was the last not to appear in a major league game I think.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Here's a question to consider... with Mitchell in AA... the starting OF was Thompson, Walker and Short. Will it become a 4 OF rotation? Or will maybe Short head for Charlotte? Or start using the DH, and sit either Dan Black or Andy Wilkins?

They won't sit Thompson or walker.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Last Sox first round pick not to appear in a game for the team I believe was Royce Ring, no? Jason Stumm was the last not to appear in a major league game I think.

I don't think Kyle McCulloch ever made it up, but I'm too lazy to double check.

I actually don't get why Mitchell was promoted to AAA in the first place. He was playing pretty awful at the time of the promotion last year.

Honestly, this is a pretty poor reflection on Buddy Bell's part. He hyped up Mitchell so much this offseason and yet nothing has seemed to change. I'm not sure what he saw in the offseason, but it apparently hasn't carried over to the regular season for Mitchell.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Here's a question to consider... with Mitchell in AA... the starting OF was Thompson, Walker and Short. Will it become a 4 OF rotation? Or will maybe Short head for Charlotte? Or start using the DH, and sit either Dan Black or Andy Wilkins?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
They won't sit Thompson or walker.

Charlotte Knights ‏@KnightsBaseball 1m

Tekotte began the 2013 season on the DL & was activated yesterday. Taking his roster spot is Brandon Short, who was promoted from Double-A.

Baseball Prospectus has a new series going where one of their prospect guys (Adam Sobsey) does reports from Triple A leagues east of the Mississippi

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=20347

Yes, I know it's behind a paywall, but he had a good write up of a Jake Odorizzi start against Charlotte. But he discussed Jared Mitchell and his problems. I'm not going to post the entire 3 paragraphs (BP is wonderful and worth the money) but I thought this paragraph was good:

Mitchell’s at-bats tend to run deep counts. He’s not just up there hacking, and he doesn't mind taking ball four. His 15.4 percent walk rate so far in 2013 is 21st in the league, and he has a history of getting on base via free passes. That would seem to indicate, perhaps, a mechanical problem, as though Mitchell knows what he wants to swing at but then can’t hit it when he gets it. But his manager, Joel Skinner, had a different take on it: “People key on the strikeout [pitch], but sometimes it’s the pitch before that he’s not playing. If he’s not playing that one, all of a sudden you’re later in the count.” As a consequence, Mitchell finds his plate appearances growing more fraught as he fails to take advantage of a better pitch to hit early in the count.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Apr 24, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Baseball Prospectus has a new series going where one of their prospect guys (Adam Sobsey) does reports from Triple A leagues east of the Mississippi

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=20347

Yes, I know it's behind a paywall, but he had a good write up of a Jake Odorizzi start against Charlotte. But he discussed Jared Mitchell and his problems. I'm not going to post the entire 3 paragraphs (BP is wonderful and worth the money) but I thought this paragraph was good:

Mitchell’s at-bats tend to run deep counts. He’s not just up there hacking, and he doesn't mind taking ball four. His 15.4 percent walk rate so far in 2013 is 21st in the league, and he has a history of getting on base via free passes. That would seem to indicate, perhaps, a mechanical problem, as though Mitchell knows what he wants to swing at but then can’t hit it when he gets it. But his manager, Joel Skinner, had a different take on it: “People key on the strikeout [pitch], but sometimes it’s the pitch before that he’s not playing. If he’s not playing that one, all of a sudden you’re later in the count.” As a consequence, Mitchell finds his plate appearances growing more fraught as he fails to take advantage of a better pitch to hit early in the count.

This seems to be the same thing the White Sox have been stressing with Dunn.

Edited by Dick Allen