5/16 games

fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?s...mp;ymd=20130516

Another steal for Johnson. Beck with an awful first inning, continuing the trend of the starting pitching struggles.

Just goes to show you the danger of those at one time "elite" pitchers whose names are thrown out a year before the draft.

One set of mechanical problems, bulking up, a shoulder injury or mysterious loss of velocity and they're done with...except for those consensus top 1-2-3 guys, it's almost impossible to distinguish and project, especially for high school pitchers.

I remember about a decade or so ago the Royals taking this kid named Colt Griffin from Texas. You don't have any way of knowing if these kids were using PED's at the time, but back then, any high school kid throwing 96-100 on the radar guns was automatically projected to be a future star, almost.

The problem is the "falling in love with the radar gun readings" syndrome.

On the one hand, you have a guy like Axelrod, the shortest RH starter in baseball and the one with the lowest average fastball that opposing annoucing teams make fun of...

It is a bit amusing that our pitching successes (recently) are guys like Quintana, Axelrod and Santiago who were nowhere close to the first round or picked up by the minor league scouts. None of those guys are/were "hard throwers" in the typical KW mold, although Santiago can definitely get it up there in a hurry.

Maybe Johnson or Beck will be exceptions.

QUOTE (daggins @ May 16, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)
Add a homer to that, his 10th.

What the hell has gotten in to Josh Phegley?

I hate to be the guy to bring it up, but whenever someone completely breaks out I always have to wonder if he's maybe artificially augmenting his performance if you know what I mean. I obviously hope that he's just finally gotten healthy but still... you never know.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Just goes to show you the danger of those at one time "elite" pitchers whose names are thrown out a year before the draft.

It does? Really? Because a pitcher had a bad inning? He has a 2.80 ERA on the year...

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 17, 2013 -> 01:59 AM)
I hate to be the guy to bring it up, but whenever someone completely breaks out I always have to wonder if he's maybe artificially augmenting his performance if you know what I mean. I obviously hope that he's just finally gotten healthy but still... you never know.

I doubt it. He's hot right now. His bat was never in question. He's finally healthy and has been for a significant amount of time now. He's probably not as good as he's been lately but there's no reason to not believe in his bat. His bat was his strength when we drafted him and he's always had projectable power

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2013 -> 06:51 AM)
It does? Really? Because a pitcher had a bad inning? He has a 2.80 ERA on the year...

I doubt it. He's hot right now. His bat was never in question. He's finally healthy and has been for a significant amount of time now. He's probably not as good as he's been lately but there's no reason to not believe in his bat. His bat was his strength when we drafted him and he's always had projectable power

Not really that....just the fact a guy predicted to be a sure-fire top 10-15 draft pick and top of the rotation major leaguer one year can quite easily go to questionable the next.

There's no sport like that, not the NFL, not the NBA...the line between success and failure is so delicate.

Baseball, unlike the other two sports, it still take 2-3 years for most collegiate pitchers to make it to the big leagues.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Not really that....just the fact a guy predicted to be a sure-fire top 10-15 draft pick and top of the rotation major leaguer one year can quite easily go to questionable the next.

There's no sport like that, not the NFL, not the NBA...the line between success and failure is so delicate.

Baseball, unlike the other two sports, it still take 2-3 years for most collegiate pitchers to make it to the big leagues.

I can't think of more than 5 players that were considered sure-fire major leaguers going in to the MLB draft in recent memory. The baseball draft is nothing like any other draft. The only valid comparison is with the NHL but even that is a stretch

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 17, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)

Also, consider this... his ITP condition has a lot to do with blood makeup and body chemistry (had a family member go through something similar, almost killed him). If you were him, even if you wanted to consider enhancing that way... wouldn't you be pretty worried about, I don't know... dying? Seems like he is the last guy who would want to be putting harsh chemicals in his bloodstream.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
Also, consider this... his ITP condition has a lot to do with blood makeup and body chemistry (had a family member go through something similar, almost killed him). If you were him, even if you wanted to consider enhancing that way... wouldn't you be pretty worried about, I don't know... dying? Seems like he is the last guy who would want to be putting harsh chemicals in his bloodstream.

Good point.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)

Look at David Price this year. It isn't even just the draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
Look at David Price this year. It isn't even just the draft.

Maybe golf is the only other sport where someone can just "lose" it like that.

Rick Ankiel, would be one example. Dontrelle Willis, etc. Ricky Romero.

Chuck Knoblauch, or Mackey Sasser....just making routine throws as part of their position.

Adam Dunn, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)

I understand what you mean. It's because there's so much projection involved. Unlike the other major sports, none of the guys drafted possess the skills to play -- you're always betting on them to develop those skills. That's why they love the radar guns, because it's hard to tell who is going to be able to learn, so you miught as well choose the ones that have huge arms.

Testing in the minor leagues is even more rigorous than the major leagues because the minor leaguers are not protected by the Players' Association. Guys who have tried to beat the system have gotten busted often over recent years.

I'd say it's more of a case of a guy who has always been a good hitter finally overcoming a serious health issue and raising his confidence by repeating a level.

I don't expect him to show that kind of power in the big leagues.

But if his catching and throwing skills are at all comparable to either Flowers or Gimenez, I'd love to see Phegley get a chance.

Testing in the minor leagues is even more rigorous than the major leagues because the minor leaguers are not protected by the Players' Association. Guys who have tried to beat the system have gotten busted often over recent years.

I'd say it's more of a case of a guy who has always been a good hitter finally overcoming a serious health issue and raising his confidence by repeating a level.

I don't expect him to show that kind of power in the big leagues.

But if his catching and throwing skills are at all comparable to either Flowers or Gimenez, I'd love to see Phegley get a chance.

[/quote\]

His catching skills are reportedly very bad, but he has a strong arm.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)

I used to believe that as well, until Lance Armstrong used PED's after beating cancer. THAT is stupidity if you ask me.

Phelgey seems to always hit lefty's well, and Charlotte is a hitter's park. Are his stats just as good on the road? Flowers should really be worried. If Phegley keeps hitting like this, there really is no excuse for him to not be given a chance and put Flowers' border-line Mendoza line on the bench.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ May 17, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
I used to believe that as well, until Lance Armstrong used PED's after beating cancer. THAT is stupidity if you ask me.

Phelgey seems to always hit lefty's well, and Charlotte is a hitter's park. Are his stats just as good on the road? Flowers should really be worried. If Phegley keeps hitting like this, there really is no excuse for him to not be given a chance and put Flowers' border-line Mendoza line on the bench.

.949 ops at home, 1.342 ops on the road and thank you milb.com for the splits.